Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Great result for us, winning the cup again would be great. It certainly would be nice compensation if we don't win the league. Hoops have the luck running with them so I can't see them slipping up unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tickets for the final on the 6th November have been confirmed as €10 for Adults and €5 for kids again.

Will defo be making a weekend of that one again.

:D

3 nil against Bohs tonight. Title is still Shams to lose though.

Nice result tonight alright, but is it all in vain now? If only they hadn't of slipped up against Pat's. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I honestly didn't think we'd get a win tonight so I'm delighted with the result even if the title is all but gone.

So, second place and yet another cup final for the bit o'red! These past few years have just been incredible under Cook, greatest Rovers manager ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Best Sligo Rovers team ever in my opinion.

UCD v Shamrock Rovers has been postponed untill tomorrow night due to the weather.

Is going to be another day then, before we know if the title decider will be left to the last day of the season or not.

Shams just need 3 more points from their last two games to win the title. We must win our last game to have any chance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Anyone hear anything about Paul Cook being next manager of St Johnstone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Doubt that very much as I'd say he wants to move up a step when he leaves. And thats not a step up! He has European football ahead of him and the possibility of a League title this time next year which would enhance his cv no end. There's only 2 or 3 teams in Scotland likely to win anything and qualify for Europe and St. Johnstone are not one of them.
    If he moves I reckon it's most likely Championship or League 1 he'll go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

red sean wrote: »
    Doubt that very much as I'd say he wants to move up a step when he leaves. And thats not a step up! He has European football ahead of him and the possibility of a League title this time next year which would enhance his cv no end. There's only 2 or 3 teams in Scotland likely to win anything and qualify for Europe and St. Johnstone are not one of them.
    If he moves I reckon it's most likely Championship or League 1 he'll go to.

Your very naive to think that’s not a step up for Paul Cook. Regardless of playing one or two Europa Cup games next year he will be playing in Ibrox and Park Head. Better league by a mile so I would say best of luck to him. Dont be surprised if some of our top players do their best to join him and best of luck to them too if they do.
    Last two managers in St johnstone one in the Championship with Bristol and the other is Owen Coyle.

• Advertisement

Not entirely suprising that Cook is thinking of moving on. Four and a half years at the showgrounds makes him our longest serving coach since Paul Fielding.

This is the problem with supporting an LOI team, success is usually followed by departure of coaches and players for more lucrative offers across the water. I still haven't really recovered from McStay leaving us for a youth coaching job at Celtic. Had McStay remained for another season I'm convinced he would have won us the league. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RTE & TV3 reporting that compensation has been agreed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Would love to see a big turn out at UCD game -- this will be Cook's last home game in Sligo.

With the exception of winning the League, he has brought the most consistent success to Sligo Rovers.

His leaving had to happen soon, breaking up is hard to do, but more to the point, he will probably bring the likes of Gavin Peers and John Dillon etc. So the team will undergo team building etc. However, it is a great opportunity for all those with a bit of ambition in the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Let's just hope they don't go backward for a while like they did when Sean Connor left and took the decent lads,Darren Mansaram was some striker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

bennyc wrote: »
    Better league by a mile

Might be a better league - but by a mile I wouldn't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

lost league and manager all in one day.

Could just feel that goal coming. Russell made no attempt to amend his team once they went a man down and they just kept gifting the ball back to shams.:mad:

I was too young to remember the '77 title season and am somewhat resigned to the fact that I'll probably never see the club lift that honour again in my lifetime. Next season is going to be a case of back to the drawing board with Cook exiting and possibly most of our best players.

Such is the way things when you support a small town club - glory is fleeting.:(

Gipo3 wrote: »
    lost league and

Well done Shams. Time to focus our attention on the FAI cup next Sunday. Cant wait.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    manager all in one day.

Has that been confirmed, thought he was only holding talks.

I still haven't really recovered from McStay leaving us for a youth coaching job at Celtic. Had McStay remained for another season I'm convinced he would have won us the league. :(

Quite possibly, he was an excellent manager for Rovers and fondly remembered. Always the way though, we find a managerial nugget and then the rug is pulled from under us. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Could just feel that goal coming. Russell made no attempt to amend his team once they went a man down and they just kept gifting the ball back to shams.:mad:

Such is the way things when you support a small town club - glory is fleeting.:(

True, true, but that's the twist and turns of football -- this was a title we threw away, losses to UCD etc etc, but also Shams ground out unlikely wins late in vital games. That was the difference. We are a better footballing side, and proved that in the Showgrounds and Tallaght in league and cup.

We have made massive progress, let's hope success (any success) continues and that we don't have to wait for 15 years for silverware.

It is possible Cook might have one last go at the Holy Grail -- League Honours, it could be done in 2011/2012.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look like Cook has gone anywhere just yet. Sligo has given him permission to talk to St Johnson, and St Johnson insist no job has been offered yet.

He's also in the middle of a contract, which is something that would also have to be considered or taken into account.

A 2012 league title under Cooks reign is still achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

latest reports are he is staying put as they could not agree on personal terms...

:):):)

Definitely staying. On Rovers webite now. Great news. As I posted earlier it was not a forward step for him. So makes up for the other disappointment last night.

Maybe Cook got some assurances from Rovers on being able to add to the squad for the new year?

Seeing as we finished third last season and second this time around he must feel agonizingly close to having a fully fledged title winning side. Anyway this is fantastic news for the club.

Bring on the cup final!!!! :D

I'm just crossing the fingers that he will be with us for the next season.

Tickets bought for Cup Final.

:D

More than 7,500 sold so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Anyone know if the Rovers have a shop in the town this year for flags, t-shirts, jackets etc? Was in the Hibernian Building last year but don't see anything around this year.

My old shirt has been through the wash one to many times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

club shop is in the tesco arcade this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Getting close lads.

Any pubs around the Aviva all the fans will be having a pint in?

Advertisement