Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I doubt very much if any football fans were involved in this.
    Despicable act bringing shame on Sligo Rovers and Sligo people in general.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The buses were parked in the grounds. Don't people need to have paid to get in to the car park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Rovers supporters:pac:

The people that did this are not Rovers supporters full stop.

Was at the game last night, great crowd for a Monday night and good performance from Rovers but unfortunately this has put a dark cloud over the game.

When I heard about what happened to the Glentoran buses I felt embarrassed and ashamed. The Glentoran fans traveled down in good numbers last night and had a long journey ahead of them back to Belfast, I am so annoyed that this happened to their buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

TheQ47 wrote: »
    WTF? what sort of pr1cks would do something like that?
    Gipo3 wrote: »
    Rovers supporters:pac:

Extremely doubt this was done by Rovers fans, but if it was I hope the strongest appropiate action is taken by the club. This type of behaviour does not reflect the behaviour of those I seen at the match last night.

Glens fans were in strong support last night, I hope this behaviour does not deter future visits from Irish League fans.
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    The buses were parked in the grounds. Don't people need to have paid to get in to the car park?

As far as I know the buses as are parked in the astroturf car park, but the fans are channeled from threre, through the away turnstyles, so its possible that it was carried out by someone not actully the match. Either way its a shame on the club.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

statement on www.sligorovers.com

• Advertisement

statement on www.sligorovers.com

for those on mobiles
    Sligo Rovers can confirm that the club and the Gardai are investigating reports from Glentoran supporters following last night’s match in The Showgrounds.

Sligo Rovers are appalled and disgusted by the alleged incidents and we wish to offer our deepest apologies to Glentoran Football Club and their supporters.

The occasion, being enjoyed by both sets of fans, was ruined by the action of a very small minority that clearly have no respect for visitors to Sligo or the football clubs.

We pride ourselves on welcoming all clubs to Sligo and believe the matter last night is not the actions of those associated with Sligo Rovers.

However, we take responsibility as it occurred in our ground and it is extremely disappointing to us.

We are currently investigating the matter with the match nights stewards and security to develop a full report on what happened and we await the result of the Gardai investigation.

Sligo Rovers have offered to pay for the cleaning of the Glentoran Supporters Bus, the cost of the items stolen from the bus and will make a donation to a charity tied with Glentoran FC.

We will endeavour to show our regret at what must have been a hugely upsetting night for all associated with Glentoran and hope to repair relations betweens the clubs.

A spokesperson for Sligo Borough Council condemned the vandalism at the Showgrounds, and urged anyone with information to report it to the Gardai. ‘Sligo Rovers’ excellent reputation should not be tarnished by people who have no association with the club or have any regard for its good name. It is important that the person who carried out this mindless act is found and appropriate action taken.’

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Very well put in fairness.
    They can do no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'd be shocked if Sligo fans had anything to do with this. Rumours have it that a few scummers hopped the wall and got into the bus this way.

Regardless of who it was, it says a lot that the car park can be accesible by hopping a wall or by fans.

Dirty eejits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

UrbanSea wrote: »
    That's a filthy thing to do. Shame on them.

It's no wonder football fans are seen as scum.
    in fairness it happened during the match, these were no football fans or they would have been watching. scum pure in simple sums them up, can only hope they are found and done by the guards for it... i doubt a lifetime stadium ban would have any effect.
    think the sligo board have responded as best they could given the circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Where were the stewards/guards while this was happening? Surely someone is keeping an eye on the car park in case of break ins.

This is dreadful news for Sligo Rovers FC and the town/county in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

HOS 1997 wrote: »

Bit of an over statement.

Given the backwater status of domestic soccer it barely registered in the media. With the exception of the usual gah loving publications having a good laugh at our expense.

Much worse things happen outside our local nightclubs/pubs every weekend that sometimes result in young ones being physically beaten into a state of unconsciousness (rag week anyone?). But for some reason we accept that as par for the course and barely raise an eyebrow.

But if some little toe rag breaks into a bus at a soccer game then it's the end of the world as we know it.

Where were the stewards/guards while this was happening? Surely someone is keeping an eye on the car park in case of break ins.

They were all watching the Glentoran fans.

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Another late, late show performance from Rovers against UCD. Good to see they a showing steely determination to win so early in the season. I just hope they maintain it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Bit of an over statement.

Given the backwater status of domestic soccer it barely registered in the media. With the exception of the usual gah loving publications having a good laugh at our expense.

Much worse things happen outside our local nightclubs/pubs every weekend that sometimes result in young ones being physically beaten into a state of unconsciousness (rag week anyone?). But for some reason we accept that as par for the course and barely raise an eyebrow.

But if some little toe rag breaks into a bus at a soccer game then it's the end of the world as we know it.

Barely registered with the media?

Article in the Irish Independent is hardly what I would describe as barely registering.

If I read that I would think there is some scumbags living in Sligo town and I wouldn't leave a very good impression on the place to me.

I see a Bohemians bus had the windows smashed last night. Hopefully who ever did it gets caught as it is an extremely dangerous and cowardly thing to do.

Barely registered with the media?

Article in the Irish Independent is hardly what I would describe as barely registering.

Did you notice the part where I qualified my statement by saying it was covered in the usual gah loving publications?

The Indo's attitude towards LOI is well established at this point.

Oh, and just to digress for a moment from all the gnashing of teeth at soccer's corruptive influence on our local youth - a few words on Lee Lynch.

He looks the business.:D

We should really look to extend his contract another year if we can. He could command a decent transfer fee at the end of the season if he keeps this level of performance up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

In the two games I have seen Lynch play so far he has impressed, definitely one to watch this season.

Just been reading about the shocking attack on one of the Bohs Supporters buses on friday night.

First the attack on Glens supporters and now this. I dont know how our traveling fans were treated on thier visit to Belfast this week, but if this kind of behaviour continues, not only is it going to blacken the clubs name, but also put our traveling fans at risk. Really hope the club and Guards find those who are responsible soon.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just been reading about the shocking attack on one of the Bohs Supporters buses on friday night.

First the attack on Glens supporters and now this. I dont know how our traveling fans were treated on thier visit to Belfast this week, but if this kind of behaviour continues, not only is it going to blacken the clubs name, but also put our traveling fans at risk. Really hope the club and Guards find those who are responsible soon.

:mad:
    what can the club do about the window getting smashed in though? it happened up at summerhill. its not the first time its happened the gardai know about this but they do sweat f\a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I remember the time when the Rovers buses were frequently attacked - with the fans still on it :eek:. I'll never forget one particular journey, the journey home after losing the Cup final to Dundalk in 1981. Our bus was attacked in Dublin, Mullingar and Longford, it was virtually windowless by the time we got back to Sligo. My point being, I think scumbags are naturally drawn towards buses for some reason.

what can the club do about the window getting smashed in though? it happened up at summerhill. its not the first time its happened the gardai know about this but they do sweat f\a

Maybe so, but it still does us no favours considering how close to the ground it was.

Just back from Bray, top of the league :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Listened to the Bray game on Ocean Fm. Absolutely brutal commentary. It was a half an hour before they mentioned that we scored a second goal.

One guy just chatting away with the other commentator barely able to get a word in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

All the more reason to travel to the games.

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Listened to the Bray game on Ocean Fm. Absolutely brutal commentary. It was a half an hour before they mentioned that we scored a second goal.

One guy just chatting away with the other commentator barely able to get a word in.

Is it even commentry, last time I listened it was sports discussion from the region with ocassional match updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

AgileMyth wrote: »
    All the more reason to travel to the games.

Hardly says much for programme! Listen to this once and you'll never return the dial! The Friary Foods Firm will be delighted when sponsoring the slot on that basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

TheKBizzle wrote: »

Sure there was probably not much to commentate on

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

Great to see Sligo Rovers on top of the league, delighted for the them.:D Pats beating Shams 5-1 was a big surprise:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Don't forget earlier kick off time of 6.30pm tomorrow night for the league cup game Vs. Monaghan in Showgrounds.

Advertisement