Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

thebuzz wrote: »
    Plans are great, it's getting the money to build the thing is the problem. I wouldn't be expecting to see it built within the next 5 years at least, even though there is some grant money going around, club would still have to raise a good amount to complete it.
    even getting the grant and getting the money are 2 hugely different things! look up the road at finn park 2. there is a huge amount of red tape that has been holding it up.
    has anyone got a link to the plans? i was on the sligo coco website and its absolutely ****. when you search church hill the most recent file is 2003, the planning map search gives a few references that start with PD but it doesnt bring up anything when searched... only things that come up are the 98 application for the new stand and the couple of 01 applications for the astro pitches and turnstyles

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

overshoot wrote: »
    even getting the grant and getting the money are 2 hugely different things! look up the road at finn park 2. there is a huge amount of red tape that has been holding it up.
    has anyone got a link to the plans? i was on the sligo coco website and its absolutely ****. when you search church hill the most recent file is 2003, the planning map search gives a few references that start with PD but it doesnt bring up anything when searched... only things that come up are the 98 application for the new stand and the couple of 01 applications for the astro pitches and turnstyles

Yep that's all I got when browsing through the Sligo CC site too. In fairness I think Finn Park 2 is perhaps a different situation as it's a whole new stadium on a fresh site. Where as the Showgrounds are long established and new development is well in the grounds etc. Also as ye know Sligo have a far bigger support then Harps and more sponsorship / cash flow. I have faith in this development! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Any links for the new stand plans?

Gingko wrote: »
    Yep that's all I got when browsing through the Sligo CC site too. In fairness I think Finn Park 2 is perhaps a different situation as it's a whole new stadium on a fresh site. Where as the Showgrounds are long established and new development is well in the grounds etc. Also as ye know Sligo have a far bigger support then Harps and more sponsorship / cash flow. I have faith in this development! :)
    bigger support at the minute! swings and roundabouts go back less than 10 years and who had a few thousand coming through the gate! success breeds fans, lack of it loses them just as quick! and remember financially remove the FAI cup prize money sligo broke even last year. (i know we made a 8k loss even after our fund raising!)
    Harps though have the advantage of selling the ground.... as far as i know the grant and transfer of Finn Park basically covers it, not much more fundraising needed and the developer (who is still well on for this) doesnt get the ground transferred until everything, stadium practice pitches are complete.
    jaysus tho that sligo coco website is horrible, (i use a lot in my line of work) that map finder would make you want to cry its so slow. just check abp as some developments go straight to them now (slim odds that this would be one) but cant see it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I agree that support can be fickle, but even during the leaner times our average gate eclipses what Harps could usually hope to get through the turnstiles.

The Finn Harps stadium project sounds like overkill to me - a six thousand seater soccer stadium for a club in Ballybofey?! To be honest it reeks of something that was conceived during the property development mania that engulfed this country during the celtic tiger era. As is my understanding the club just only made the FAI criteria for it's 2012 license and very nearly folded with gate receipts plummeting and a sky rocketing wage bill. But apparently they're going to build a ground three times over what we average right about now.

I like Harps and best of luck to them - but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Advertisement

I agree that support can be fickle, but even during the leaner times our average gate eclipses what Harps could usually hope to get through the turnstiles.

The Finn Harps stadium project sounds like overkill to me - a six thousand seater soccer stadium for a club in Ballybofey?! To be honest it reeks of something that was conceived during the property development mania that engulfed this country during the celtic tiger era. As is my understanding the club just only made the FAI criteria for it's 2012 license and very nearly folded with gate receipts plummeting and a sky rocketing wage bill. But apparently they're going to build a ground three times over what we average right about now.

I like Harps and best of luck to them - but I'll believe it when I see it.
    we got almost 2,000 when we were last running well (d1, 07), fell to a bit over 1000 when we went down in 08... what is still killing us. we had a budget of 1million that year for a full time squad,which basically was the same team as the year before and some dead weights like gary beckett. we went down having a 7 pt lead with 3 games left after players were told they could only afford half wages... i dont think mods would allow me to post what one player said (he played for sligo soon after, i had always liked him but now:mad:.. only heard this earlier in the year)
    just looking at foot.ie, and attendances for 03,04,05. Harps are ahead every year, which isnt bad considering in 05 we were demolished in the premier while you won D1... 2004 your average is 150 above our current

Last year the Harps board attempted something with season tickets and it horribly backfired as crowds fell away revenue dried up and we had to go looking for 48k. in the end the only thing that stopped us getting a premier licence was the number of seats in Finn Park. Its not long since you had to dig deep either (much deeper). the wage bill now is 2k a week(squad, management and background staff), less than last year (which was already low) and attendances circa 570 (higher than last year)-also excluding the first game which was much higher. and compare that to limerick who pay about 8k a week to just the players i hear... and last year was our worst ever season by some distance. remember it took 12 games to get the first win?

the stadium has been in the pipeline since the application for your new stand went in, yes it is a huge project considering our current position but as i said between the grant and selling Finn Park its costing Finn Harps FC nothing and with the recession the cost of construction has fallen from 9million to less than 6million. this also added to the red tape around the grant with the sudden change in pricing. foundations are in and drying the aim is 2014 (although not 6,600 complete)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

we got almost 2,000 when we were last running well (d1, 07), fell to a bit over 1000 when we went down in 08... what is still killing us. we had a budget of 1million that year for a full time squad,which basically was the same team as the year before and some dead weights like gary beckett. we went down having a 7 pt lead with 3 games left after players were told they could only afford half wages... i dont think mods would allow me to post what one player said (he played for sligo soon after, i had always liked him but now:mad:.. only heard this earlier in the year)
    just looking at foot.ie, and attendances for 03,04,05. Harps are ahead every year, which isnt bad considering in 05 we were demolished in the premier while you won D1... 2004 your average is 150 above our current

Last year the Harps board attempted something with season tickets and it horribly backfired as crowds fell away revenue dried up and we had to go looking for 48k. in the end the only thing that stopped us getting a premier licence was the number of seats in Finn Park. Its not long since you had to dig deep either (much deeper). the wage bill now is 2k a week(squad, management and background staff), less than last year (which was already low) and attendances circa 570 (higher than last year)-also excluding the first game which was much higher. and compare that to limerick who pay about 8k a week to just the players i hear... and last year was our worst ever season by some distance. remember it took 12 games to get the first win?

the stadium has been in the pipeline since the application for your new stand went in, yes it is a huge project considering our current position but as i said between the grant and selling Finn Park its costing Finn Harps FC nothing and with the recession the cost of construction has fallen from 9million to less than 6million. this also added to the red tape around the grant with the sudden change in pricing. foundations are in and drying the aim is 2014 (although not 6,600 complete)

Was that player's nickname Homer by any chance?

We still have a far deeper fan base to draw from than Harps do. You're not even half filling that stadium in a month of Sundays on a regular basis - if it's ever completed.

Just checked the history of the project and it seems it was first mooted in 2005-ish. The heyday of the celtic tiger property boom - no suprise. I doubt that Finn Park is worth anything like what it was initially valued at before the bubble burst.

Again the idea of a club in Ballybofey having a bigger stadium than Shams seems like an ill conceived vanity project to me. Upgrading the current ground would seem much more sensible.

We still have a far deeper fan base to draw from than Harps do. You're not even half filling that stadium in a month of Sundays on a regular basis - if it's ever completed.
    yes the population of the twin towns in 1/5 that of sligo, but Letterkenny, Donegal Town, Lifford/stranorlar/ glenties are all within a max of 30mins. it is the most central town in the county, thus mcCumhail park there also. there is a potential 100,000 population base to draw on and im already knocking over a third of donegal's population off there.

also as i said cycles of success, we are in our worst period ever and as iv shown you our average crowd is 150 down on sligo the year before they won the first division.
    Just checked the history of the project and it seems it was first mooted in 2005-ish. The heyday of the celtic tiger property boom - no suprise. I doubt that Finn Park is worth anything like what it was initially valued at before the bubble burst.
    planning was first granted in march 2005, a tweaked version and extension of time in 2010 as they last 5 years so, first mooted in 2005... yea sure... if you think thinking of building a stadium, finding a site, drawing plans, pre planning meetings and the planning process takes a few months go ahead... boom baby me architect's arse
    Again the idea of a club in Ballybofey having a bigger stadium than Shams seems like an ill conceived vanity project to me. Upgrading the current ground would seem much more sensible.
    the new stadium is not in Ballybofey, and it has a 17,500 capacity stadium!
    contracts were signed, (tender process comes after planning) the developer builds on gov grant + FAI grant as a regional centre of excellence+ the value of finn park... as i said the cost of the project has fallen by 3 million... how much do you think finn park was worth? the grant is going a lot further now! the stadium is costing the Finn harps trust a shed of a stadium... how is it vanity its sublime business!

also when planning a stadium from scratch do you just do a portion?
    jaysus what must you think of Flancare Park so? those longford folk building a 6,850 seater stadium in a town with only 2k more than the twin towns! but a county population 1/4 that of Donegal?

and with Navenny street on one side, chestnut road another, a river on the other where does the existing Finn Park expand to? what would it cost:eek:

also as i said, if if does open in 2014 it will not hold 6,600, the developer gets the keys to Finn Park when it gets that far. there was some good planing that sees us get that with a grant and our existing and bugger all else. shams holds 6,000 atm and it isnt finished either! it will hold 10k! it is SDCC's ground also and not limited to shams

right well i came looking to see if plans existed for these new sligo works.. for more discussion about harps stadium see the thread in Donegal and il respond there because this one aint the place

ps edolan sent a pm on ;). actual quote according to someone well in the know... actually he may well have been there

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

St Pats tomorrow at the showgrounds, 7.05 kick off I think.Should be a good interesting game.

• Advertisement

and with Navenny street on one side, chestnut road another, a river on the other where does the existing Finn Park expand to? what would it cost:eek:

I never said anything about expanding, I said upgrade. There is no need to expand because you will not get the crowds.

I never said anything about expanding, I said upgrade. There is no need to expand because you will not get the crowds.
    last time then...first we have breached that 6,600 capacity more than once in the last 10 years
    there are a few hundred seats as is, it would be the same as building a new stand to put in seats on any side. the town terracing wouldnt be wide enough to accomodate seats so it would be knocked and built from scratch

so for an upgrade new stands have to be built which would cost us money! renovations cost more than a new build, especially renovations in tight circumstances. FACT!
    we get a 6,600 seater stadium for our existing shed... btw that is below the capacity of our existing. why would we pay money for a poor upgrade which will slash the capacity, when we can get a 6,600 with proper changing rooms, offices, gym, bar etc for nothing... and we couldnt fit any of the above in Finn Park without huge expenditure due to site restrictions.

so you want to talk crowds as all you seem to assume is we wont get any... comparisons (im just sorry i cant find 98/99 when we were 4th, you 9th)
    99-00 sligo-11(rel) 994, Harps 9th 1252 Bigger Crowd
    00-01 sligo na, Harps (11th) Rel 1036 - same position as sligo year before, bigger crowd
    2004 - Harps 1st 1106, Sligo 3rd 781
    2005 - Harps 10th rel 1347. Sligo 1st 1819 (your finally ahead) winning breeds fans! (your first to ours is the only time i see you ahead when comparing position with position)
    06/07big slump for us there down below 1000s we had a woeful start in 07 and it was a miracle that we got back into it to get up. Sligo 4th -1800 then 8th 1350
    2008 - Harps 9th rel 1619 Sligo 4th 2063
    2009-we are screwed financially and our crowds continue to this day to reflect our poor team... average so far2012 c620

so given a run of form, we can pull the same crowds if not more... now why would we turn down an effectively free stadium, training pitches, a bar (and its revenue), proper medical and changing facilities. you suggest we spend money we dont have to do a half job instead?!
    your logic (especially regards construction and economics) baffles me:confused::confused::confused:

again apologies UrbanSea, magnumlady, if all guns blazing wants a further reply he can go to the harps thread in donegal and post something that is based on some facts. Im done here

Hope sligo do push on, dad is a sligo man and iv regularly gone to games with him. Liam Martin could be a star for ye, i wish i could argue that it was another Coleman where we were too cheap but he was going to sligo games before he signed. Our u19s conceeded 7(in 17) on the way to lifting the northern title, i think 3 or 4 were Liam to put it in perspective. But i probably dont have to tell you about your own players. Just remember the good times dont last for ever and how quickly things change

I'm well aware good runs don't last forever and of Rovers' hardships in the past.

Which is why (as successful as we have been in the last 5 years) I wouldn't be an advocate for building a new stadium that we'd never fill - let alone Finn Harps. Also, if I'm not mistaken Flancare was a redevelopment not a new build, and I wonder how they're going with filling it every other week? Apparently they got 300 or so in for the game vs your boys a fortnight ago?

Worth mentioning that despite the rumours of a new stand I'm equally sceptical of seeing any serious structural upgrades at the showgies any time soon. The climate doesn't really exist for such expenditure.

Best of luck with your endeavour though, it'll look grand if it is ever completed - and I look forward to the day when you're a match for us. Got a bit of catching up to do on the silverware front though. ;)

Oh yeah, massive game against Pats - the only undefeated sides in the league going head to head. :nervous:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Overshoot, good luck with the new developement. Where is it to be located?
    Hope theres a Gallons pub next door! Always loved the slagging in there before and after when we used meet regularly. :D

Jaysus we were awful tonight.:eek:

With the exception of Rogers it was a shocking performance from pretty much everyone in a red shirt. Baraclough needs to encourage a bit more of a passing game because we were guilty of launching far too many aimless long balls which the Pats defence just ate up.

On the plus side there are still three points between us and shams who drew as well.

236-01.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I think we haven't really started firing on all cylinders at all yet.
    Very lucky to still be unbeaten.
    If Pats had got that winner, you couldn't have said they didnt deserve it.
    Soft peno though.

To say the whole team was shocking is a bit harsh, we had chances to win & lose this.Losing Joesph Ndo in the first half was a big blow, dont think rover really recovered from losing him.Pats had the upper hand in the 2nd half.One of the form teams at the moment & unbeaten like Rovers, it had draw written all over it really.
    Top of the league & still unbeaten in it, keep it up lads:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Disappointing performance alright but thought Ventre deserves credit at least, had a good game at right back. Although I think maybe Boco could have gone to left back and played Danny in midfield especially when Ndo went off.

Anyone notice Benny the Bull dancing before the kick off, great laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I missed the game last night as I had to go for a meal for my sister's birthday, I hear they were woeful though.

I think Crusaders was the best performance of the season. we're top and unbeaten, but we are not playing good football. It's time they start putting in good performances, there's only so many times we can get away with shoddy performances and pick up points.

Very lucky in regards to the other results last night ,Drogheda drawing, Derry and Shams.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Don't forget tomorrow night at 8.30pm. Q & A with Baraclough in Fiddlers Creek. http://www.sligorovers.com/latest-news-news-menu-inside-246/1523-ian-baraclough-to-hold-questions-a-answers-session

• Advertisement

Massive result tonight. Well done lads! And well done UCD :p

red sean wrote: »
    Massive result tonight. Well done lads! And well done UCD :p

Ya big result.Great to see.Top job lads

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

236-01.gif

thebuzz wrote: »
    236-01.gif
    The view from up here is stunning :D

Huge game next weekend vs Shams.

Pats still unbeaten as well, with a good win away against Derry. Dark horses imo.

Huge game next weekend vs Shams.

Pats still unbeaten as well, with a good win away against Derry. Dark horses imo.

Thankfully now though, we do have that points cushion. Will be nice to remain unbeaten though after saturday as well.

Bloody RTE. First they make us move the game time, now they are dictating where we can/cant sit/stand.

:mad:
    A supporter notice regarding the game against Shamrock Rovers on Saturday:

RTE will be closing off a large part of the ground at the Shed End of the Showgrounds. This is because their camera’s need a clear and expansive view of goal area and pitch and as such can't have spectators blocking their view.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sligo-Rovers-FC/131278013633342

I say fill the place on saturday afternoon. So much more fun being there than watching it from the sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'll be working. I'll get to watch it there but still won't be the same anyway.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I'll be working. I'll get to watch it there but still won't be the same anyway.

I think it;s one of the first matches were I have not been working for.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

irish-stew wrote: »
    I say fill the place on saturday afternoon. So much more fun being there than watching it from the sofa.

I'll be bringing the whole family, really looking forward to it.

Advertisement