Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Getting so close, dare we dream of the title.
    Not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its 'Squeaky Bum' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Getting so close, dare we dream of the title.
    red sean wrote: »
    Not yet.

I reckon a further 7 points from the remaining 6 games would be enough to clinch it for us. We're on 53 points at present, with Drogs in 2nd place on 47 points and St Pats in 3rd with 45 points, but Drogs have played one more game than both of us.

If we get to 60 points (or more!), it'll be hard to catch us.

By the way, I'm led to believe that if we have the league already won before the final game (which is entirely possible), tradition dictates that the team we play in that last game should applaud us ON to the pitch. Imagine the thoughts of Shams applauding us on to the Showgrounds!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Still a fair bit of work to be done yet, but the lads are showing no signs of nerves.

In fact our performances of late have been very calm and controlled. Under Cook we would outplay teams but not always turn this possession into goals. Baraclough has added a real killer instinct to this team - we're beating opposition sides with an almost ruthless efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

TheQ47 wrote: »
    . Imagine the thoughts of Shams applauding us on to the Showgrounds!! :D

That would be f*cking wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

The title should be in the bag....Shams are out of the race and are falling apart after getting knocked out of the cup yesterday , im surprised drogheda have kept up with the pace and st.pats were always going to be up there but if we win all the games up to our last 3 games (against the big 3) then we should have the title , id be worried if we went within 6 points in the last 3 with st.pats , drogheda and shamrock rovers all played in a row and i know shams would love to take the title away from us even if there was nothing in it for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Im sure people already know but Bray game on Friday live on RTE2 at 7.05.:)
    I know its a cliche but the biggest threat is complacency although dont think Baraclough will let that happen. Would be good to see the likes of Henderson, Brushie and Buchanan etc to get more game time before season is up.

Ive also attached photo of Pascal Millien with 'Farming not Fracking" banner after Dundalk game. Pascal and Gavin Peers had previously worn "love Football- Hate Fracking" t-shirts in support of the anti-fracking movement. (Glen Hansard, Christy Moore, and athlete Mary Cullen also did the same recently) More images over in the Gas Fracking thread if interested.

Thanks to them all for showing their support.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

Getting close now,Bray away this friday 21th then back to the Showgrounds with Derry City the following week on Monday 29th.
    Great to see high attendance at the Showgrounds roaring & supporting Sligo Rovers , the last match was over 3200, with only 3 home games left I would recommend making the effort in going or/& bringing some friends or family with you to enjoy & be apart of the success, great football, atmosphere while its here & in your back yard.

So the lads earned a hard fought point away to a very lively Bray side last night.

That leaves 5 games to go and I reckon 8 points should just be enough to clinch it. A draw between Drogs and Pats next weekend would be a massive boost as well. Derry up next for us at the showgrounds

C'mon the bit o'red!

236-01.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭STEEL COMET

who is the better paul cook or ian baraclough???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Such a ****e result tonight. Old baldy was a crap ref, constantly reaching for his whistle and slowing the game down. That being said I don't see us clawing back an 8 point lead back should you beat Derry tomorrow. It would take an unlikely spectacular collapse for that to happen.

Good luck to Sligo Rovers today at 7.45pm, Derry at the Showgrounds, Third last home game of the season.Should be a great game & hopefully theres a packed & loud Showgrounds for it also.See ye there

Ian's winning matches,
    Ian's winning games,
    Ian's bringing the cup back to Sligo Town again.

COM ON THE BIT O'RED!!

Great game against Derry tonihgt, winning 4-1. We are one win away.

:D

We could be champions by Friday night if both Pats and Drogs slip up, and we win in Cork.

35 years of waiting and we are now literally that close!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Congrats lads. We'll want the Galway lads back soon though ;)

I'm sure you want it sown up asap, but would probably be some buzz to get the win next week but not actually win the title until the following round in the Showgrounds.

4k at the game tonight and it on tv... What can it hold, 5,500?

Maybe not a sell out but just short of 5k for the next one maybe.

I hate you bastards but great to see a club doing things right and thriving. Always good to get a club outside the pale winning the league too.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Cheers Civis

Afraid we are going to have to keep the Corrib-Kids for a little while yet - Conneely and Keane are super players.

I think short of 5K is possible for our next home game.

It would have been great to have the last game being the decider but I read that it's tradition that the League winners are given an ovation onto the pitch - that means chumps like Powell, Green, McCabe etc - damn I wish Turner was still with the Hoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Fantastic win yesterday, brilliant to see them holding their nerve and doing such a clinical job in a big derby game.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

great buzz about last night.massive crowd in the showgrounds,who's for cork friday night

Time to start making sure I'm off work for the last two home games, as long as RTE dont decide request to move the times.
    Congrats lads. We'll want the Galway lads back soon though ;)

I'm sure you want it sown up asap, but would probably be some buzz to get the win next week but not actually win the title until the following round in the Showgrounds.

4k at the game tonight and it on tv... What can it hold, 5,500?

Maybe not a sell out but just short of 5k for the next one maybe.

I hate you bastards but great to see a club doing things right and thriving. Always good to get a club outside the pale winning the league too.

Will be great to have the title won before the last match, not sure my fingernails would last if it went down to the last match, plus having it by then, means being clapped on by Shams.

:)

Was it on TV, didn't see to many cameras apart from the usual up in the gantry.

yea it was on satanta

• Advertisement

Great win last night.Great to see over $k at the showgrounds & I'll say the last 2 games will be jammers.Just to make sure that everyone knows the last 2 home games are tickets only.They where selling them at the Derry game yesterday but still selling them during the week, I'd strongly advise getting ticket if u havent or you will miss out on the 2 games

darman28 wrote: »
    Great win last night.Great to see over $k at the showgrounds & I'll say the last 2 games will be jammers.Just to make sure that everyone knows the last 2 home games are tickets only.They where selling them at the Derry game yesterday but still selling them during the week, I'd strongly advise getting ticket if u havent or you will miss out on the 2 games

Not liking the idea of that to be honest. Does this mean that there will be no tickets on sale at the gate at all, even if there is space available.

Not everyone might be able to make both games for what ever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Matches for individual games will be made available if the double tickets aren't sold out, but people who intend to go to both games are being looked after first and rightly so.

I'd imagine the uptake will probably be huge.

Given the fact that this a massive moment in the history of Sligo town, people who aren't really big into football will still want to be there to witness it.

35 years of hurt and all that!:D

irish-stew wrote: »
    Not liking the idea of that to be honest. Does this mean that there will be no tickets on sale at the gate at all, even if there is space available.

Not everyone might be able to make both games for what ever reason.

well unless your a band wagon hopper most will go to both games

heres details on ticket sales http://www.sligorovers.com/latest-news-news-menu-inside-246/1721-tickets-on-sale-for-final-matches

sligono1 wrote: »

heres details on ticket sales http://www.sligorovers.com/latest-news-news-menu-inside-246/1721-tickets-on-sale-for-final-matches

It's the usual story of creating demand - good sales technique and more than likely everyone will be gagging to get to the final games v Hoops.

If the funds raised and league title money are put to the likes of a small Pavilion (Craven Cottage style) with German style terracing at the old Shed side this would finish off the ground brilliantly.

Roll on Cork, a draw wouldn't be the end of the world?

yea its a good idea and why not should the club maximise the position they are in to the benefit of the clubs coffers

sligono1 wrote: »

Well certainly not that, but I will have to plan that I'm off for the matches, as I am sure a few will.

Putting that debate aside, will be buying my tickets anyway.
    It's the usual story of creating demand - good sales technique and more than likely everyone will be gagging to get to the final games v Hoops.

If the funds raised and league title money are put to the likes of a small Pavilion (Craven Cottage style) with German style terracing at the old Shed side this would finish off the ground brilliantly.

Roll on Cork, a draw wouldn't be the end of the world?

What ever happened with the plans for a Pavilion/gym/bar/office facilities at that end of the ground any way?

Has been great to see the crowds in the new Railway stand end. Did fear we would have an empty stand on the TV like a few other grounds in the league.

never doubted you were,i know there are circumstances were people may not be able to make the two games,but isnt it great were here on about such situations,its been a long wait

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »

What ever happened with the plans for a Pavilion/gym/bar/office facilities at that end of the ground any way?

Has been great to see the crowds in the new Railway stand end. Did fear we would have an empty stand on the TV like a few other grounds in the league.

I doubt those plans will go ahead - the planning has probably lapsed and with the new Railway End seating - it would probably be to large?

It should be jammers for last few games - what has been the biggest attendance in recent years - the semi-final v Waterford??

Advertisement