Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Is Liam Martin the lad who was on loan at Ballinamallard, mate of mine used to play for them and says he's good, might be someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

red sean wrote: »

Thanks irish-stew, got updates via twitter after I posted. Terrible game according to our forum. What'd you think?

Not the best game, small crowd, and a cold night may not have helped. Should have done better though.

Heard people saying that Ian said they were three weeks ahead of schedule with the training. Another friendly on Mon night so will wait and see.

Is Liam Martin the lad who was on loan at Ballinamallard, mate of mine used to play for them and says he's good, might be someone else

I believe he is. Hopefully Ian will start him in sone of the upcoming friendlys. See how he gets on with a longer game.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Not the best game, small crowd, and a cold night may not have helped. Should have done better though.

Heard people saying that Ian said they were three weeks ahead of schedule with the training. Another friendly on Mon night so will wait and see.

Mate of mine played for Salthill Devons the night they beat them 5-0. Said Rovers were unreal, passed the ball for fun. Think that was only about a week or two after back training

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

irish-stew wrote: »
    Young lad called Liam Martin, from the under 19s I beleive, came on late in the second half, looked pretty handy on the ball.
    Martin is not some new young fella by the way. He signed in 2011 and made his first team debut in 2011, played with A team/U19's and was mostly on the bench for first team til he went on loan to Ballinamallard last August, scored a few up there and came back to us in January. He's been playing very well in pre-season, looks to have improved a lot and should do well this season. Very good player.

• Advertisement

thebuzz wrote: »
    Martin is not some new young fella by the way. He signed in 2011 and made his first team debut in 2011, played with A team/U19's and was mostly on the bench for first team til he went on loan to Ballinamallard last August, scored a few up there and came back to us in January. He's been playing very well in pre-season, looks to have improved a lot and should do well this season. Very good player.

Looks like a few more of the young lads on the warm up tonight, including martin. Maybe a few of them might be getting a start.

Edit.

Martin starts.

3-0 to Rovers at half time.

think I know what might have happened to the strandhill dunes as well. Sand being thrown up with every kick and bounce of the ball.

Full time 3-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Better performance and Elding supposedly returning this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 george mc munn

who is Elding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

who is Elding
    If you google search "Anthony Elding", you should find the wiki page on him, it will give you all the info on him, he's a striker Sligo Rovers are speculated to be signing

First I heard of it, we needed a striker though

After initially being linked to Sligo Rovers, Grimsby Town had initially revealed upon Elding's release that he was bound to make a move to an unamed League of Ireland side, but not Sligo as first thought.[28] The following week it was announced that he would be signing a contract with Limerick but after flying to Ireland, Elding did a u-turn and joined Sligo. He is expected to make his debut against Finn Harps in pre-season.[29]

From wiki

thank u hope he is usefull also could do with experienced playmaker to help ndo

Does anyone know how substantial the fine was we received from the FAI following the final game of the season was last year.

Just reading in the Champion that Sligo Rovers were finned a substantial amount following the behaviour of Shamrock Rovers fans, and that an FAI security officer at one point wanted to cancel our lap of honour due to safety concerns.

:(

Edit.

First competitive game of the season is on monday night, 4th of March, Setanta Qtr Final 1st Leg, against Glentoran at 7.45pm.

It's well known what their fans are like. Away fans can't even get on the Luas to Tallaght to their games in Dublin, plenty of scum

nice one being fined for shams behaviour crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Rovers should appeal the fine - its a disgrace we got fined for what this scum did inside and outside the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

FAI rules stipulate that the home teams gets fined as it was a 'lapse' in our security letting Shams fans in with pyro. Just like if we go to Brandywell and let off flares, it's Derry City FC who get fined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The fines are no doubt also for the flares your own supporters were letting off in your main stand as well as all flares are banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How you Rovers fans looking forward to your 1st game up here at Derry?

Fancy yourselves for a win?

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the first home game of the season with this evening, Hopefully theres a good crowd coming to roar on the Bit'o'red

NIMAN wrote: »
    How you Rovers fans looking forward to your 1st game up here at Derry?

Fancy yourselves for a win?

I fancy our chances. Although first competitive game is at home against Glentoran tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry meant 1st league game. I think it will be very tough for us to hold youse to a draw, can't see us winning.

Playing Drogs ourselves tonight. Good to have the football back.

Great result last nite, 5-0 , all top notch goals too, that Elding lad seems to have fitted in nicely. The new signing of Kieran Djilali was unveiled at half time too.

Elding and Djilali will be big players for Rovers this season, two great signings.

Might be going up to Derry tomorrow. Hopefully can get off to a good start. We've been really slow starters in the League the last two years, killed our chances the year before last

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

We've been really slow starters in the League the last two years, killed our chances the year before last

Wouldn't call four wins out of our first five (if you include Monaghan away) in 2012 a slow start..

Maybe I'm getting mixed up, how many games did we draw last year in the first fifteen games, I seem to recall a lot

Should be a huge crowd in Derry tomorrow, I expect us to bring 1,000 or so. First proper game since crowned Champions.

• Advertisement

Would love to be going to the Brandywell tonight.

Surprised RTE are not showing this considering its the first League game of the League Champions.

Advertisement