Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

Maybe I'm getting mixed up, how many games did we draw last year in the first fifteen games, I seem to recall a lot

5 in first 15, although 15 games is half way through the season.

Maybe you're thinking of 2011 - a lot of drawn games that year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

How did rovers do,was away,didnt get results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Got them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Elding looks like he could be a great signing. He's built like a tank, just the kind of forward that LOI defenders won't be used to playing against.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Good start with the result against Derry, always a tricky away venue for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Into the Semi Finals of the Selotanta cup after a mammoth 8-0 aggregate win , and Bray at home this weekend in the League.

Just seen as well Se7en menswear in town are doing a trade in on the new shirt, €5 off the cost of the new shirt, when bringing in your old one, with the old one going to charities in Africa.

Another nice result tonight and the good start continues.

5 wins out of a 5 and Rovers have really come flying out of the blocks.

Cretaro was immense. His performance will live long in the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

This Rovers team are on a great run, anything less than 3,000 people in the Showgrounds this Saturday is an embarrassment. Get out and support this great club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

thebuzz wrote: »
    This Rovers team are on a great run, anything less than 3,000 people in the Showgrounds this Saturday is an embarrassment. Get out and support this great club!

Argeed buzz, lets fill the place, make an efford to bring a friend, a lot of games this month now & weather will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

good to break the 3000 mark but still room for improvement, 7 wins out of 7 now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Happy for you lads. Strong clubs needed all over the country, even if it is yourselves ;)

Can only look on in envy and despair at what you have built yourselves. I'm not even talking about the trophies, even a stable club in the premier, making capital investments in their stadium! This never happens in the LOI...

One thing that pleases me about Sligo Rovers this year is that, after I worrying the team would be weaker for winning the league and that you wouldn't have as good a chance of doing the league justice in Europe. Losing too many key players, not replacing them with similar talent, others not stepping up to fill the void etc. This clearly is not the case.

10 or 12 weeks away from the CL draw yet, but hope you can hit form at the right time for that, after all, the league is sown up already. :)

Breaks my heart seeing Keano, Seamie and Iarfhlaith line out for Sligo... but what can ya do...

Rovers 5 points clear after beating Cork City 2 nil, and winning their 8th league game on the hop.

:D

So gutted had only been able to get to a couple of the pre season games so far, and not a League game yet.

:(

It was another workmanlike performance from the lads.

We haven't really played our best football as yet, but we seem to have figured out how to win consistently without joey. Which bodes well for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

I think these attendances are disappointing to be honest. Great team and a much improved Showgrounds with the new stand and the rest of the ground getting a makeover. Perhaps when the roof is constructed over the railway end it will make a massive difference for both shelter and atmosphere. This in turn may bring more out in numbers. Great to see Sligo, Limerick, Rovers, Cork and Dundalk all getting healthy gates but much more work is needed. Facilities are a big factor as well as the football. Can't get that roof built fast enough!

Now if Derry can just start dropping some points and let us widen the gap even further I'll be really happy.

Gingko wrote: »
    I think these attendances are disappointing to be honest. Great team and a much improved Showgrounds with the new stand and the rest of the ground getting a makeover. Perhaps when the roof is constructed over the railway end it will make a massive difference for both shelter and atmosphere. This in turn may bring more out in numbers. Great to see Sligo, Limerick, Rovers, Cork and Dundalk all getting healthy gates but much more work is needed. Facilities are a big factor as well as the football. Can't get that roof built fast enough!

Is the roof defiantly going ahead. TBH, would prefer the proposed club house, or a tidy up of the Jinx' Avenue Stand first.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Is the roof defiantly going ahead. TBH, would prefer the proposed club house, or a tidy up of the Jinx' Avenue Stand first.

Fair point point stew however I'm just of the opinion that with the roof built higher attendances would be sustained affording the club more investment into facilities. I believe the 300k sports grant is to be used on upgrading the astroturf pitch and putting in a new grass pitch behind it?

Catch 22 really? The club are right to develop training and youth facilities as this is the key to the future however putting the roof up first will increase gates returning the investment quicker. I think they know what their doing and Sligo Rovers are fast becoming an excellent professional set up. Ever notice how good turners cross looks with a big home crowd behind the goal? That new stand did the job for them and will do the same for Sligo!

managed to get up to this for my first game of the season, the weather was beautiful! haha, still though while the performance may not have been great, I'll take it! I remember last season we were very lucky as cork went 2 nil up only for quigley to score a free kick and i think a penalty to save our blushes so to get a 2 nil win now is very nice :D

• Advertisement

A marquee for before & after match drinks and food would be a good idea too instead of losing €10,000's to local pubs over the season. Would encourage more to go to games as well as huge profits. Perhaps there is a license problem with this? Anyone know?

Bohs have 2 bars, rovers have an excellent suite, dundalk have 3 bars and possibly the best hospitality set up, drogheda have a clubhouse, cobh have a clubhouse, Shelbourne have a bar, pats own an entire pub! wexford youths have a modern clubhouse and of course limerick now have the use of world class hospitality facilities.

Stick a roof over the railway end and give the fans hospitality facilities and that will sustain decent crowds and encourage many more to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I believe the 300k sports grant is to be used on upgrading the astroturf pitch and putting in a new grass pitch behind it?

sport capital grants can't be used to build stands or clubhouses
    A marquee for before & after match drinks and food would be a good idea too instead of losing €10,000's to local pubs over the season. Would encourage more to go to games as well as huge profits. Perhaps there is a license problem with this? Anyone know?

Bohs have 2 bars, rovers have an excellent suite, dundalk have 3 bars and possibly the best hospitality set up, drogheda have a clubhouse, cobh have a clubhouse, Shelbourne have a bar, pats own an entire pub! wexford youths have a modern clubhouse and of course limerick now have the use of world class hospitality facilities.

Stick a roof over the railway end and give the fans hospitality facilities and that will sustain decent crowds and encourage many more to go.
    you need a licence to sell alcohol. marquee costs money along with having to get the equipment for a bar and then cost of alcohol,some one to work, getting a licence which isnt cheep all theses costs add up. if you took away the money form the pubs then the club looses out on sponsorship.

the build it and they will come motto really does not work. what more can people want the club are playing the best they ever have top of the league unbeaten but yet people still dont come in the big numbers that should be suspected.

the roof will cost around 40k. its not as if the club have that money lying around to build it at this moment.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    sport capital grants can't be used to build stands or clubhouses

you need a licence to sell alcohol. marquee costs money along with having to get the equipment for a bar and then cost of alcohol,some one to work, getting a licence which isnt cheep all theses costs add up. if you took away the money form the pubs then the club looses out on sponsorship.

the build it and they will come motto really does not work. what more can people want the club are playing the best they ever have top of the league unbeaten but yet people still dont come in the big numbers that should be suspected.

the roof will cost around 40k. its not as if the club have that money lying around to build it at this moment.

Fair enough Shane. Thanks for clearing up the sports grant funding although I am all for improving training facilities and understand this as a priority too. Cork sustain their crowds with an average side but with good facilities. People will not leave the comfort of their homes to sit in the rain or baltic wind with more entertainment options available. An example of this was me at home in Strandhill some time back with a few friends who are all bit o red fans. Match day but knew we were not going to get seats in treacy ave stand. jinks stand was going to be busy and its not the best anyway so the railway end was our only option. Windy, wet and baltic! No thanks.

As good as the team are we were not going to be rained on in baltic conditions. It is a big factor. Know many that feel the same way. Of course not one for knocking the great strides the club have taken on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Possibly the only good thing that Varadkar has done as Minister for Sport is to stop funding being spent on stand etc and to limit it to things which actually encourage participation, pitches, tracks, sportshalls etc.

For years GAA clubs up and down the country were being handed public money to squander on stands that will never be filled and club bars. A terrible waste.

Back on topic, it's great that we got this funding and are putting it to good use.

Hopefully the club will be able to come up with money for a roof on the Railway End in the near future.

Anyone at the Pats v Rovers Game? Hows it looking from the sideline? Do we look like we're going to score?

Just heard an update on Alan Keanes nose, medical staff couldn't stem the bleeding so he's been taken off, sounds quite nasty.

Still a goal down for people not watching on TV or at the match.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Anyone at the Pats v Rovers Game? Hows it looking from the sideline? Do we look like we're going to score?

Just heard an update on Alan Keanes nose, medical staff couldn't stem the bleeding so he's been taken off, sounds quite nasty.

Still a goal down for people not watching on TV or at the match.

Pats 2 - 0 Rvs

Pats 2 - 0 Rvs

Missed the last goal. and the red card.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It shouldn't have been a red or a penalty.

Even with that they deserved the win. We were absolutely shocking

Ah well, it had to end some time. :(

• Advertisement

to be the fair the performances have been lacking so far this season, just that it's been glossed over by the fact we managed to grind out the wins, hopefully this will act as a bit of a kick up the arse, though it will be tough with the games we have coming up and our injury list, need to get players back badly :/

Advertisement