Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jeffery lebowski

Very true - While it would have suited for Shams to take a point - It is great fun to see them slide into crisis for the 2nd year in a row!!

Big Game V Dundalk - a must not lose or must win?
    Handy win over Bray last night - let's keep the winning run going!

And even though we would have benifitted from shams getting something from their game against pats, I must admit that I'm quite pleased they got stuffed!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

League title all but surrendered in Dundalk. Need to hold onto third and european football for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

They have been very poor last dozen games. Not surprising they have all but given up the league

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yesterday's result looks like it was a nail in the coffin for retaining the title.:(

Good Cup win over Cork tonight.

• Advertisement

Good Cup win over Cork tonight.

It Looks like a home Quarter final against Derry (Leading Bluebell at the mo). Should be winnable given our form against them this season. The cup may be on again!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Going to the Aviva has been one of the highlights of following Rovers the last few years so I really hope we can get there again. Main thing was getting a home draw so hopefully we can beat Derry for a 4th time this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Past form goes out the window in cup ties. It'll be tough but we should be good enough.

It Looks like a home Quarter final against Derry (Leading Bluebell at the mo). Should be winnable given our form against them this season. The cup may be on again!!?

I'll gladly take the Cup, since the League looks like it's beyond our reach now.

Time to dust off this thread with a run of massive games coming up. We currently find ourselves second in the table with a five point gap between ourselves and leaders St.Pats. Then there is the small matter of a cup semi with Shams next weekend as well!

If we can somehow string together a six match winning streak we could very well find ourselves celebrating a league and cup double.

It's a longshot but we can always dream!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Time to dust off this thread with a run of massive games coming up. We currently find ourselves second in the table with a five point gap between ourselves and leaders St.Pats. Then there is the small matter of a cup semi with Shams next weekend as well!

If we can somehow string together a six match winning streak we could very well find ourselves celebrating a league and cup double.

It's a longshot but we can always dream!;)

Well, I'm dreaming it anyway! Shame about the small crowd on Friday night, hope to see a few more there tonight against Cork City.

Sadly, I'm missing the cup game next weekend, but I'll be tuning in to hear us reach another cup final in the Aviva (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Hopefully we get a good crowd. Fridays attendance was disappointing, despite the nice evening.

Really looking forward to Sundays too. Two massive games in a week.

Blew the league for definite tonight.
    It's the cup or nothing now for sure.

Barra put out the wrong team last night, Raf, North, Elding, Paschal, Ventre, Lynch, all started on the bench. It's like he was resting them for Sunday, which is fine, but we needed to win last night to be in with any chance of fighting to retain the league title. It's as good as gone now (still technically possible, but most unlikely).

Disappointing crowd last night too, I didn't hear any announcement of how many were there, but it seemed smaller than Friday night to me. Makes a change from this time last year, when we had up on 4,000 every home game, probably less than 1,500 last night :(.

Bring on the cup, and get 2nd in the league, that's still not a bad season, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If we lose on Sunday and come third in the league its still one of the best seasons in our history. Doesn't feel like it though.

Last night was bad. Nearly everybody played poorly. We still created enough chances to win the game. Can't really hold it against the manager like others seem to want to do.

I think I'm the only Rovers fan thats glad we got rid of Horgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

TheQ47 wrote: »
    Barra put out the wrong team last night, Raf, North, Elding, Paschal, Ventre, Lynch, all started on the bench.
    North has been awful of late. Elding? Pascal? Ventre and Lynch have had as many poor performances as the three who started last night.

Start Raf and play Green up front maybe.

Second place will be hard won with Dundalk having an easier run in than ourselves imo. It's all about Sunday now, and it's going to be incredibly tough. Shams are hitting form at the worst possible time.

I have doubts that we can beat shams on Sunday. Just have not played well enough this season. A very impressive defensive record will be put to the test with Peers suspended and McMillan a doubt.

Hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Andy Tiernan; RIP

Saddened to hear of the passing of a great servant of the Bit O' Red..... Andy took great pride in his work and always had the showgrounds looking its best on match day.
    A real Gentleman and he will be sorely missed - Ar dheis de go raibh a anam

AgileMyth wrote: »
    North has been awful of late.

Have to agree, AgileMyth. He's definitely not fully fit, and he's about a stone overweight by the looks of him. He can't run to catch a ball, and seems to get annoyed if it doesn't come directly to his feet (a la Elding at the beginning of the season). It seems to take him about half the pitch to try and turn with the ball. He's nothing like the player he was before his injury last year.

Having said that, Elding must have been dreadful in training this last while, if North is getting on before him.:eek: In the last few games I saw Elding, he seemed to have improved as a team player, working much harder to get to balls, etc., not trying to take all the glory, but there must be something up if he's not even getting to play now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

dardevle wrote: »
    Andy Tiernan; RIP

Saddened to hear of the passing of a great servant of the Bit O' Red..... Andy took great pride in his work and always had the showgrounds looking its best on match day.
    A real Gentleman and he will be sorely missed - Ar dheis de go raibh a anam

Nice story from Nicky Brujos
    Andy was a true gent and a dedicated groundsman who took pride in making sure every player over the years had a surface we could play on. He was part of my warm up as he watched me like a hawk to see If I would mark the box with rakes of my boot to get my position. Something all goalkeepers are taught at a young age.

The slagging he gave me used to help take the jitters away. 'Why do it', he used to moan.. 'You couldn't catch a cold' It got so bad I would have to try and do it on the sly when he was wasn't looking. He once was so incensed he didn't catch me he reported me to the ref, Pat Kelly, a witty Cork Man, who told me he would book me if he caught me and why was a doin it when I'm effin useless any way!!

Andy, his Da, his family and his relations were always kind to me and Andy used to call to me in work after every game to ask what I thought of the game ....and the state of the pitch!!! God be with you all the way Andy, and I am going to ask Gary Rogers scrape the 6 yard box next home match in respect of you!!

Anyone else heard the rumour that the Aviva is to be renamed the New Showgrounds?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone else heard the rumour that the Aviva Lansdowne Rd is to be renamed the New Showgrounds?

:D

Fixed that for ya.

;)

Joking aside though, 3 appearances there in four finals is pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya.

;)

Joking aside though, 3 appearances there in four finals is pretty special.

4 appearances in 5

Henlars67 wrote: »
    4 appearances in 5

'09 final was in Tallaght.

red sean wrote: »
    '09 final was in Tallaght.

Who said otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Who said otherwise?

You said 4 in 5, but it has only been 3 in 4 at Lansdowne Rd, hence the joke changing the name of it to the New Showgrounds.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    You said 4 in 5, but it has only been 3 in 4 at Lansdowne Rd, hence the joke changing the name of it to the New Showgrounds.

I din't realise there was a joke. I must have missed the funny bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

They were brilliant yesterday. Shams were really taught a lesson

• Advertisement

I was not surprised to see some Shams supporters getting agitated after the second goal. I don't think that club will ever shake off some of the scumbag element that supports them.

Advertisement