Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

once known as the Fourth Division for those of a certain age
    Now I know what you're talking about.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Frisian wrote: »
    Now I know what you're talking about.:D

Its no disrespect to the level of Irish Soccer, but it shows what it compares to in the English League and beyond the majority of the time, when managers are moving between the lower league English Clubs, and top flight Irish Clubs.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

If Barra goes then all the best to him, but I wouldn't be too worried or upset. We have a great track record when it comes to hiring young coaches anyway. The important thing is that the club is on a very stable footing right now (more stable than at any time in my memory). And as long as Sligo Rovers continues to be managed properly at an administrative level then the future should be very bright.

Long live the bit o'red! ;)

If all on schedule, team and trophy should be crossing The Shannon around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

anyone on here be in riverstown this evening, going to collooney but dont want to be waiting forever with kids and a heads up on arrival in riverstown would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

hugo29 wrote: »
    anyone on here be in riverstown this evening, going to collooney but dont want to be waiting forever with kids and a heads up on arrival in riverstown would be great
    Ocean fm giving regular updates on their progress.
    In Carrick now for dinner, leaving around 4.30

red sean wrote: »
    Ocean fm giving regular updates on their progress.
    In Carrick now for dinner, leaving around 4.30

are they still on schedule for leaving carrick at 4-30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Its no disrespect to the level of Irish Soccer, but it shows what it compares to in the English League and beyond the majority of the time, when managers are moving between the lower league English Clubs, and top flight Irish Clubs.

:(

It's the potential, look at big sam, once at limerick.

How many were at the match yesterday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Oooops.

SilgoRoversMedal_large.jpg

Rightwing wrote: »
    It's the potential, look at big sam, once at limerick.

How many were at the match yesterday ?

LOI certaintly dose have the potential for both players and managers to progress, just look at our own Shamie Coleman, but it would also be nice to see some of then players and managers stay here, and see our own league develop, and reach the 1st round propers of the European Competitions a little more than they do.

18,000 I think was the figure, its way down on the 2010 final. Even standing in the south stand on Sunday (been lucky enough to get tickets for each of our finals there), there seemed to be slightly more pockets of empty seats in it. We were able to move several rows closer to the pitch and seats across to be closet to the action.

I know Drogs would have brought less than Shams, but there even seemed to be slightly less Sligo fans there as well, even getting out of the city and back on to the Motorway was easier compared to the final in 2011.

Looking back, I'm starting to think the Hype and novilty of the first new Lansdowne Road final in 2010 is is wearing off, and maybe the FAI/LOI need to do a little more to develop the league, rather than just trying to get bums on seats with €10 tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

If Drogheda brought a half decent crowd on Sunday you would be talking about crowd close to 25,000. Sligo crowd was down on the previous two Lansdowne finals about 10,000 this time. Any one who didnt go this time missed the best final from the Lansdowne trilogy.

Elding has signed with cork city. Just the single season for us but still carved out a place in Bit o'Red folklore for himself.

Thanks for the memories big man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Silly season has officially begun. Rumours flying all over town now. We'll see famous faces rocking up in Centa in no time.

Davoren and Ventre apparently haven't even been offered contracts.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Silly season has officially begun. Rumours flying all over town now. We'll see famous faces rocking up in Centa in no time.

I saw Mick McCarthy coming out of centra and heading towards the showgrounds.

Back in 1997.....

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

New striker signing tomorrow. Ventre (mad decision) and Dav not being offered anything, yet Gaynor is.

Baraclough is setting himself up for a few tough challenges next season by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

New midfielder in Paul O'Connor from Drogs and Raf has re-signed.

thebuzz wrote: »
    New striker signing tomorrow.
    Was Raf the new striker?

So we are up to 13 now.

A right back, Djalali, 2 strikers and a keeper and things are starting to look good.

I'd imagine Conneely is our first choice right back now. Hes also one of the most underrated players we've ever had. Hes been here a year and a half and he hasn't lost the ball yet. Some of our support have questioned re-signing him.

• Advertisement

I would have Conneely over Ventre any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

I would have Conneely over Ventre any day of the week.

In centre midfield?!

I would easily have Conneely before Ventre in the middle, or anywhere else. Ventre is a liability most of the time. One good season out of six.

I would easily have Conneely before Ventre in the middle, or anywhere else. Ventre is a liability most of the time. One good season out of six.

I have to agree, Danny was wholehearted and gave us a great season when we won the league, but then thought he was bigger than the club, he was a good squad player,
    I like Connelly but he gets knocked around centre mid to much, much better on the right either full back or wing back

One good season out of six.

Would have to strongly disagree. In 07 he was v young and asked to play a role he wasn't ready for. He got better and better and has been one of, if not the best defensive midfielder in Ireland since 2010.

Conneely is very gifted but needs to be given space. He never suited our midfield with Ndo and Cawley beside him. Was great behind Quigley.

Danny gives the ball away as much in a single game as Conneely will in a season.

Danny gives the ball away as much in a single game as Conneely will in a season.

Conneely passes back most of the time!

He passes to the available man. If that means going backwards so be it. No point in going for a spectacular cross field ball and losing possession. We don't have to play as if we're a goal down in injury time all the time.

He was fond of losing possession for his first two or three years here but since 2010, he's really learned from Joey, Richie et al and rarely concedes the ball these days.

Conneely does tend to play the safe pass but sometimes you need that. But when you've three central midfielders who do that then it gets frustrating. Conneely needs two Joey/Richie type players in there with him. I would also say the same for Cawley.

• Advertisement

R_overs1 wrote: »
    He was fond of losing possession for his first two or three years here but since 2010, he's really learned from Joey, Richie et al and rarely concedes the ball these days.

Conneely does tend to play the safe pass but sometimes you need that. But when you've three central midfielders who do that then it gets frustrating. Conneely needs two Joey/Richie type players in there with him. I would also say the same for Cawley.

thats why we need russell back, him o connor and ndo with cawley and connelly as back up and conneely also covering right side

Advertisement