Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

hugo29 wrote: »
    thats why we need russell back,

Russell lost the ball as much as, if not more than Danny V during his early days. Russell would be a backward move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Backward in what way? Hes just played a key role in a league win which is exactly the point people bring up to justify keeping Ventre there. Russell is a similar type of player to Lynch but a lot better.

Great signing if we can get him.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Backward in what way? Hes just played a key role in a league win which is exactly the point people bring up to justify keeping Ventre there. Russell is a similar type of player to Lynch but a lot better.

Great signing if we can get him.

He was liked in Sligo because he ran around a lot but missed so many scoring opportunities it was criminal. He also used to try to do things far above his ability level and constantly conceded possession when Rovers were in good attacking positions. Which is why Cook used to sub him so much.

He scored eight goals in two seasons for us, which isn't a great return for an attacking midfielder who started so many games.

He's rumoured to be close to signing for Shams (Russell) and I would agree Lynch is a downgrade on him.

If you like a player who who gets into goal scoring positions but doesn't score goals, Russell's your man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

R_overs1 wrote: »
    He was liked in Sligo because he ran around a lot but missed so many scoring opportunities it was criminal. He also used to try to do things far above his ability level and constantly conceded possession when Rovers were in good attacking positions. Which is why Cook used to sub him so much.

He scored eight goals in two seasons for us, which isn't a great return for an attacking midfielder who started so many games.

He's rumoured to be close to signing for Shams (Russell) and I would agree Lynch is a downgrade on him.

If you like a player who who gets into goal scoring positions but doesn't score goals, Russell's your man.

cook subbed him because as cook said at the time "he did not work to get the ball back" nothing to do with his ability,
    fair point he could score more goals but show me an available alternative, he would be an upgrade on lynch

hugo29 wrote: »
    show me an available alternative, he would be an upgrade on lynch

I'm sure there are plenty in the UK and across the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

He was fond of losing possession for his first two or three years here but since 2010, he's really learned from Joey, Richie et al and rarely concedes the ball these days.

Conneely does tend to play the safe pass but sometimes you need that. But when you've three central midfielders who do that then it gets frustrating. Conneely needs two Joey/Richie type players in there with him. I would also say the same for Cawley.

Count how many passes he successfully completed in the cup final and id say its below 50%. I personally think there is very little football in him and zero athletic ability. If he is half the player that his fan club thinks he is he will have zero problem finding a club as they will all be queuing up for him. He has played his role in our recent history and deserves our thanks and respect for that but are we losing one of our best players?? Would he make a top ten list of our best midfielders ever? Doubt it. I think we will look back this time next year and say he is not the player he once was. That's my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Looks like we'll have to wait for Shams to finish their bi annual spending spree before doing the majority of our business.

Surely they can't keep spending like this every window without any serious honors to show for it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Go a goal up. Take Russell off for Ventre to 'shore things up'. Drop points.

Cook's stupid substitutions are why we didn't win the league with him.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Cook's stupid substitutions are why we didn't win the league with him.

Assume you're referring to 2011 there. I'd say silly individual mistakes cost us eg Clarke, Blinkhorn, Russell, Powell etc. Also drawing 2-2 in Galway when we were coasting 2-0 at half time at Terryland left us too many points behind Shams and killed us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Now that John Russell has got the FAI development job in Sligo is he allowed to sign for Rover if he wants to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

prodsc wrote: »
    Now that John Russell has got the FAI development job in Sligo is he allowed to sign for Rover if he wants to?
    Well, Rovers would have to let him...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

prodsc wrote: »

He is, welcome back JR.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

First home game on the season in the Showgrounds Saturday 8th March against Athlone town, really looking forward to it, missed the great atmosphere in the Showgrounds on match day

darman28 wrote: »
    First home game on the season in the Showgrounds Saturday 8th against Athlone town, really looking forward to it, missed the great atmosphere in the Showgrounds on match day

Can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Anyone going to the President's Cup game on Sunday? Unfortunately, I can't as I've other family stuff on, but I think it'd be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

2nd from the bottom and who would have seen that one coming. Looks like all Rovers fans have taken flight.

2nd from the bottom and who would have seen that one coming. Looks like all Rovers fans have taken flight.

Its all going slightly Pete Tong. Did many travel to The Brandywell do you know? Hopefully some support turns up Monday night, if it were not for work I'd be there my self.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

It's 5 games in. I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

Drogheda tomorrow night in the Showgrounds. 7:45 kick off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Its all going slightly Pete Tong. Did many travel to The Brandywell do you know? Hopefully some support turns up Monday night, if it were not for work I'd be there my self.

No idea about the how many made it to the Brandywell and I'm in a similar boat to yourself work-wise atm.

It's 5 games in. I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

That's true, remember our flying start last year and then we ran out of puff. Maybe this year we're doing the reverse, start slowly and then go on a title winning charge.:D

No idea about the how many made it to the Brandywell and I'm in a similar boat to yourself work-wise atm.

That's true, remember our flying start last year and then we ran out of puff. Maybe this year we're doing the reverse, start slowly and then go on a title winning charge.:D

Let's hope that's the case. Pats had a rough start last year too and it worked out for them.

Away to Cork tonight. Really need to kick start things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I thought djilali would really kick on this season alot of passes off target etc he has the ability to be dangerous but hes not making as big an impact as I thought he would since signing.

Finished 1 all after a last minute penalty for Cork City.

Really hope we get a crowd for next Friday against UCD.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Finished 1 all after a last minute penalty for Cork City.

Really hope we get a crowd for next Friday against UCD.

Heartbreaking stuff for all Rovers fans, but those who had traveleed all the way down must have thought it was their night. Gutted.

However we will hopefully have a big crowd against UCD. The promotions to get kids in are brilliant, with it being good Friday I'd imagine the crowd should be good. Plus we should hopefully beat UCD, we are bound to get at least one more win this season.

UCD is a massive game for Baraclough - we simply can't keep putting our awful start down to bad luck.

Right now I couldn't honestly back us to beat anyone in the league. We are completely toothless up front. This in turn is creating a sense of anxiety at the back with defenders knowing if we concede we won't be able to claw a goal back.

If you offered 3rd/4th with a European spot to me now I'd have your hand off.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seen St Pats, Shams, Bray and ye and you guys have been by far best team we have played.

Ye should have beaten us tonight. Peno was harsh imo. A homey Peno.

Thought Kieran Djilali had a super game. Lovely first touch and pass for 1 on 1 that should have been taken. Best player on pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Seen St Pats, Shams, Bray and ye and you guys have been by far best team we have played.

Thought Kieran Djilali had a super game. Lovely first touch and pass for 1 on 1 that should have been taken. Best player on pitch.

Glad he had a good game hopefully he can find the form he is more than capable of sligo need him to be on top form

• Advertisement

We play nice football that is a little too fragile at times for its own good. 5 points from a possible 21 simply cannot be justified when you consider the squad we have in comparison to some of the teams above us.

Advertisement