Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Free entry into The Showgrounds tonight for friendly against Finn Harps.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Well, we're in a spot of bother after those two defeats to Dundalk and Shams. In my opinion, the only viable route back in to Europe now is through the FAI Cup.

That's not a good situation for the club to be in. No Europa League money could very well mean the end of the current full time set up.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Well, we're in a spot of bother after those two defeats to Dundalk and Shams. In my opinion, the only viable route back in to Europe now is through the FAI Cup.

That's not a good situation for the club to be in. No Europa League money could very well mean the end of the current full time set up.:(

Couple that with disjointed tactics and football and the gates will drop considerably. Baracloughs not convinced me of anything but his aptitude for the mediocre.
    Watching that game yesterday was like being in the Showgrounds in 1999

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Couple that with disjointed tactics and football and the gates will drop considerably. Baracloughs not convinced me of anything but his aptitude for the mediocre.
    Watching that game yesterday was like being in the Showgrounds in 1999

Must agree.

Compared to recent years with exciting and quality football always at the Showgrounds, Baraclough having taken over Cook's hugely entertaining side, has presided over a side that has simply imploded and a borefest.

The shambles that us offered up against Shams was tragic.

I have never taken to Baraclough's style of play -- but waited to see if he was simply presiding over a new era etc. Sunday was probably amongst the worst footballing displays I have witnessed there in years.

In the old days, at least there was the excuse of no money etc, they weren't full time. As for this group of poseurs and shirkers -- I don't think they strung two passes together.

It'll be quite a while before I am at the Showgrounds - the best of luck of them! As for upcoming Europa league football - good grief!!

At the time of IB's appointment there were warnings from Scunthorpe fans that his style of play was very negative. I mistakenly took this to mean that he was a hoof ball merchant, which in fairness to the man, he plainly isn't. He wants his side to pass the ball but just can't turn that possession into goals.

North as the lone striker isn't working, and there is a lack of belief and urgency right throughout the team. This was no more evident than in the manner in which we conceded the winning goal to shams. The half hearted attempts to clear the ball were just pitiful to watch.

Another blot on his copybook would be his transfer dealings. Especially when it comes to bringing in English based players. One of the main reasons we've brought in so many English managers over the years is their presumed knowledge of the lower leagues - and any players in them that could be brought to the showgrounds. On this front he has been utterly wasteful with the money afforded to squad building. What ever possessed him to sign Odhiambo is beyond me. And this is a player IB claimed he had been keeping tabs on for some time.......

• Advertisement

Reading the soccer forum over the weekend, I think we are actualy one of the seeded teams for the Europa League Qualifiers. How and why, I'm not quite sure, but hopefully reading on the events of the last two games, we should hppefuly get an easier fixture compared to the lastfew years, or at least not be on the other side of a hammering.

Putting aside the pitch performance, I did hear of a few incidents from the Shams fans, flares or a pitch invasion, not sure if anyone can confirm or deny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Things aren't going well this season, so far. Very few goals from Maguire, Eric and North have been a major issue. Conor O'Grady said on Sunday during commentary that we have the second biggest budget in the league, I'm curious as to where he got this figure from? If anything I would have assumed our budget decreased from last year and would certainly be less than Dundalk, Cork, Shams and Pats.

As for the negativity surrounding the manager, when Cook was here he faced as many critics. It seems it took him leaving to be appreciated and the same will probably apply to Baraclough. A league, FAI Cup and Setanta Cup in just over 2 years, the man has a rough idea what he's doing.

Things aren't going well this season, so far. Very few goals from Maguire, Eric and North have been a major issue. Conor O'Grady said on Sunday during commentary that we have the second biggest budget in the league, I'm curious as to where he got this figure from? If anything I would have assumed our budget decreased from last year and would certainly be less than Dundalk, Cork, Shams and Pats.

As for the negativity surrounding the manager, when Cook was here he faced as many critics. It seems it took him leaving to be appreciated and the same will probably apply to Baraclough. A league, FAI Cup and Setanta Cup in just over 2 years, the man has a rough idea what he's doing.

Hi Euska

Granted silverwear, but the football played for the last three seasons is dreadful.

Re the League title - imo, he doesn't get all the credit -- it was done with a side inherited from Cook. That said manner in which they won it (bar final game) was dull as ditch-water.

Paul Cook, along with Dermot Kelly off-field, built up a club (admittedly having taken over from the work of wee Seanie). The likes of IB would never have gone near SR when it was in the shape Seanie found it. Cook was mad as a box of frogs and had his faults but by god it was enjoyable going to the Showgrounds. There is really no comparison between the two men.

IB seems a decent bloke and he can talk the talk but I genuinely find his football philosophy so insipid, ponderous, plodding and dull that it just isn't worth buying into. Despite the league is such rag order it hasn't taken away for other clubs to streak ahead of us. I expect this to continue.

As for not being appreciated, it was Cook who wouldn't accept Committee finances and pulled the trigger. Nothing to do with fans. Pity IB wouldn't do the same, but there is no chance as it's obvious he's just hanging in there and to bolster his CV further before he moves on back to England.

The club has had their head in the sand over this guy for three years - and it hasn't taken much for other clubs to overhaul us.

His new signings have been dreadful - the side is in freefall. That's not negativity that's an observation.

The last few Europa/Champions league qualifiers have been characterised by dreadful performances, and this team doesn't even have capacity to compete in Ireland, let alone beyond, so more of the same there.

I have spoken to many longtime supporters - the consensus is fairly obvious. A poor team, plan A is predictable and there is no plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Exiledrover

The club needs everyones support now not people saying it'll be a long time before they go to a match again.

Without the support we'll end up being a yo-yo club and I'm sure none of us wants that. Get to the Showgrounds every time you can.

Must agree.

Compared to recent years with exciting and quality football always at the Showgrounds, Baraclough having taken over Cook's hugely entertaining side, has presided over a side that has simply imploded and a borefest.

The shambles that us offered up against Shams was tragic.

I have never taken to Baraclough's style of play -- but waited to see if he was simply presiding over a new era etc. Sunday was probably amongst the worst footballing displays I have witnessed there in years.

In the old days, at least there was the excuse of no money etc, they weren't full time. As for this group of poseurs and shirkers -- I don't think they strung two passes together.

It'll be quite a while before I am at the Showgrounds - the best of luck of them! As for upcoming Europa league football - good grief!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

? If anything I would have assumed our budget decreased from last year and would certainly be less than Dundalk, Cork, Shams and Pats.

I'd be confident that Shams' and Pat's (Kelleher's) budget is bigger. Dundalk's would be roughly the same as ours. Cork's would be lower.

• Advertisement

It'll be quite a while before I am at the Showgrounds -

Jumping ship Shellyriver?

Support your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

People had it too good for the last few years.

The people crying the most are the people who didn't go to games when we were a poor First Division side.

I've seen a lot worse than this season, and people older than me have seen even worse again.

Qualification for Europe is a must or we'll be on the slippery slope again. In order to achieve that we need everyone getting behind the club, not walking away.

Give out all you want in the pub or on the internet, but go to the games and support the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Well said Henlars!
    Short memories or no memories except the good times.
    The real supporters stuck with Rovers through thick and thin and will again.

Anyhoo... roll on Friday and hopefully a positive result on the dreaded plastic at oriel park. I'm thinking a replay is the best we can hope for right now. Dundalk are on fire at the minute.

red sean wrote: »
    Well said Henlars!
    Short memories or no memories except the good times.
    The real supporters stuck with Rovers through thick and thin and will again.

We John Rua your entitled to your opinion but I don't subscribe to being a turnstile junky suffering from mindless sheep mentality syndrome.

I was stuck in the Shed as a nipper with 'real supporters' who voiced their opinions and supported, home and away.

In those days there was healthy terrace banter. Managers and players were informed about what supporters' views were. I have for decades followed the Bit-a-Red Either that or they got told down town. It wasn't just flag waving muppets trying to act like wanna-be hardmen in front of a few inner city gurriers.

As for these bunch of wasters, flying up and down the N4 to Riverstown - you might as well support Shamrock Rovers! Half of them would sign up tomorrow if given a chance (some already did)! Nor do they give a monkey's - IB included.

An FAI cup win was greeted like a Champions Cup win. There was agony and ecstasy. With this shower its just a zombie slumber into nothingness.

Last Sunday, the players didn't even break into a sweat - there's no heart or conviction.

It's a two-way street. Players don't care, management and back-room staff are complacent, waste 90 minutes of life etc, then it's bye-bye time.

So you keep on endorsing this guff, when the mood takes me I might go back - not with the current management or team - I'd said 1,000 others will do likewise sharpish.

The league season is over already - and if they don't beat Dundalk in Cup, then it is completely dead in the water.

I don't look for silverware - but basic football endeavour, skill and effort - you'd be surprised you can find it, at all levels, elsewhere than in the Showgrounds!

when the mood takes me I might go back - not with the current management or team - I'd said 1,000 others will do likewise sharpish.
    Yep. You're real supporters! You go to every game when we're winning! Good man.

Managers and players were informed about what supporters' views were. I have for decades followed the Bit-a-Red Either that or they got told down town. It wasn't just flag waving muppets trying to act like wanna-be hardmen in front of a few inner city gurriers.

You think Ian and Gary aren't informed as to what the supporters think? Really?!

You hardly think they walk around with their heads in the sky thinking our recent form is good enough?

As for your flag waving muppets jibe. There's a lot less trouble at the Showgrounds now than there was when the Shed was in its pomp.

The FR lads seem to be the only section of our home support that actually want to make noise and support the team when things are not going well.

Unlike the majority of the rest of the ground who who will only put their heads over the parapet when a player makes a mistake and are more interested in getting a good seat in the main stand than they are in getting behind their team.

I just cannot understand the reasoning behind somebody saying they follow a club and then jump ship when things aren't going well.
    I was stuck in the Shed as a nipper with 'real supporters' who voiced their opinions and supported, home and away.

Why can't you do the same now? Plenty of us already do and this is part of how we get the club back up the table.

red sean wrote: »
    Yep. You're real supporters! You go to every game when we're winning! Good man.

Well Sean.

Irrespective of wins or losses, I would go to the Showgrounds if they were getting beat 10-0 each game. It's not about winning for me - I go to get behind a team that wants to play. But there's no heart beat, no pulse - they're just going through the motions. It's been like this for the last three years a slippery slope of under-performance.

There has to be a point, even as a supporter, when you say, 'you know want f**k this' -- I know they are fans who won't and fair play to them, but imo that's just suffering from delusion and the longer you go for it you're just propping up this nonsense.

There has to come a time when supporters turn to the manager and players and say 'look lads, this isn't good enough' - you've got fair warning etc. There are players, at least four/five, who wouldn't get into a Rovers' team -- so not to recognise this means, you're heads in the sand. They are the guys in charge, so they must take responsibility for their actions.

This is an unfortunate financial reality for the club (and more particularly its future) that those extra 1,000 at the Railway End are vital. Visionaries like Dermot Kelly can see this etc. -- jobs worths won't. I would love to see 5,000 a week at the Showgrounds, but it won't happen, so protecting the hard won attendances is crucial.

Anyways, I do hope they win against Dundalk otherwise the signs are very bad. I most likely will go back for Cup games etc - or games involving Pats etc. but unitl IB is gone, I won't be buying a season ticket again.

I have warned about this management team for three years and lack of creativity or balls -- its just chickens coming home to roost time now.

Make the changes now, bring in new players, look to change management in the future etc or else, it is First Division time in two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

There has to be a point, even as a supporter, when you say, 'you know want f**k this

The last time people did that en masse we ended up languishing in the 1st ivision for years. Those people then decided to come back in 2010.

protecting the hard won attendances is crucial.

Yet you're not going to bother going to the showgrounds anymore?
    I have warned about this management team for three years

I have been quite pleased with the last 3 years. we've won a trophy in each of them. For those of us who actually witnessed the bad times, any year that Rovers win a trophy is a good year.
    Make the changes now, bring in new players

It takes money to do that, money we won't have if people like you decide to lie on the couch on a Saturday night rather than go to the showgrounds.

Henlars67 wrote: »

I have been quite pleased with the last 3 years. we've won a trophy in each of them. For those of us who actually witnessed the bad times, any year that Rovers win a trophy is a good year.

Well Henlars - better get a selfie with the EA egg cup then.

I'm a patient man, but trying to cover over the cracks in the club with new tarmac and face-painting for kids isn't going to sort this issue.

It's as simple as this - the ball doesn't move fast enough, the players are playing in what is 4-5-1 formation and we don't have a playmaker! Guess what we can't score goals, despite having the best goal-poacher in the league.

Thanks for the advice about my spare time, I reckons when at home I'll be plumping the cushions on my couch on Saturday evenings for the remainder of this season, gosh the world is my oyster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

You know what they say, if you can't support the team, at least support the club....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

well shellyriver, feel free to come to harps games if you need a change of scenery, the lads are certainly playing with heart and we could do with bodies through the gate!

think you may be more sympathetic to the spectacle sligo have on offer after tho! Christ id love it if our 'cracks in the club' were as small as yours!

And i wouldnt call the new tarmac papering over anything, its a good investment and there has been a hell of a lot of them in the showgrounds complex the last few years. Makes the entrance area far more comfortable, may lower insurance, club shop more accessible, ticketsellers everywhere. That area is a massive revenue stream. Those facepainted kids with chips, popcorn, bottles of coke, nevermind merchandise its all money to the club. If you think the club lacks a playmaker then money from there will help pay for him.

3 nil loss and out of the cup.

Never has it been more important for people le to get behind the team now, even if its just to get as high a postion as possible. A Europa League Spot is still not out of the question.

overshoot wrote: »
    well shellyriver, feel free to come to harps games if you need a change of scenery, the lads are certainly playing with heart and we could do with bodies through the gate!

think you may be more sympathetic to the spectacle sligo have on offer after tho! Christ id love it if our 'cracks in the club' were as small as yours!

And i wouldnt call the new tarmac papering over anything, its a good investment and there has been a hell of a lot of them in the showgrounds complex the last few years. Makes the entrance area far more comfortable, may lower insurance, club shop more accessible, ticketsellers everywhere. That area is a massive revenue stream. Those facepainted kids with chips, popcorn, bottles of coke, nevermind merchandise its all money to the club. If you think the club lacks a playmaker then money from there will help pay for him.

Well Overshoot - my point was it's window-dressing. The fundamental problem is on the pitch, and has been for three years.

When your club is getting 2-3k attendances for over 7 years, and has similar issues, you can get back to me.

Sligo Rovers funded all recent development from sponsorship, cup money and fan receipts, without getting a shilling from County Council, unlike Harps getting Donegal Co Co to fund their pipe-dreams!

They got themselves into the mess, they can now get themselves out of it.

IB's mealy mouthed words and watery reassurances won't wash, not with me, anyway, and I'd imagine I am representative of a sizeable number of fans.

If I was to support the club, not the team, I might as well throw €20 (and the rest) in every matchday, but the reason to support the club is because of the team.

But I have little confidence in the club's decision making over the last three years in particular - they can get on without me, and I can get on without them!

Well Overshoot - my point was it's window-dressing. The fundamental problem is on the pitch, and has been for three years.

When your club is getting 2-3k attendances for over 7 years, and has similar issues, you can get back to me.

Sligo Rovers funded all recent development from sponsorship, cup money and fan receipts, without getting a shilling from County Council, unlike Harps getting Donegal Co Co to fund their pipe-dreams!

IB's mealy mouthed words and watery reassurances won't wash, not with me, anyway, and I'd imagine I am representative of a sizeable number of fans.

If I was to support the club, not the team, I might as well throw €20 (and the rest) in every matchday, but the reason to support the club is because of the team.

But I have little confidence in the club's decision making over the last three years in particular - they can get on without me, and I can get on without them!
    My reason to support the team is to support the club! And I'll continue to do it, as I've done for over 40 years!

Chickening out is no way to respond to where we are at the moment.

Looking for new managers, players etc all costs money, and I'll keep giving my support, small as it is. If every "supporter" adopts your silly attitude we won't have a club let alone a team!

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    A Europa League Spot is still not out of the question.

We're simply not good enough.to dislodge any of the top four. We have zero goal threat up front and worse again we're becoming increasing dodgy at the back.

The way the side was lined up against Dundalk was completely bonkers btw. Ian's decision making process is starting to look a bit desperate and panicky. Likes he clawing around for a formation that works but just can't find it.

window dressing? its the world of (semi) professional football! The LOI in general has ****e facilities, god its bad when a club cant invest in the facilities. And boo-hoo, I cant comment because we dont have 2-3k in attendance?!! As i said last time, if your "issues" on the pitch were as bad as ours you would be lucky to have a quarter of that. Have a go at Bara for not using one of the biggest budgets in the league properly, but to have a go at a club for investing in the future is ludicrous.

Im well aware we are in the mess we are in because of a gamble in 2008, the worst time we could have done it in fairness but still stupid. Mostly we gave players who had been at the club for years and had heart full time football, just what you seem to want, but guess what, they werent good enough! The couple of mercenaries like Shaun Holmes & Gary Beckett didnt help.
    oh and you paid for everything? are you sure? heres €295,000 you recieved 18 months ago, selective memory you have there. Especially since it was over a year after the 20k we received from the council when in serious bother. It was not for the stadium and they are not funding the stadium, be more selective in your digs.

Anyway going to tie both of those points together, Face up to it, money pays for the product on the pitch and you criticise the club for "window dressing," yet its and investment in infrastructure that will fund the club (or first team if you prefer) into the future.
    Harps took the gamble and "got themselves into a mess they can now get themselves out of it" by pumping all their money into the first team, which you seem to want. We have debt, a shed and a "pipe dream" and are languishing in lower division one for years but at least turning a profit the last few years.
    Sligo are struggling to progress on the pitch for the first time in 10 years, will have to contend with falling attendances and a set wage bill but have some of the best facilities in the league. No doubt a challenge, the fall from the top has a history of drastic consequences for LOI teams.

Either way, who is likely to have the product on the pitch fixed first?

had a look at our pipe dream today too, moving along nicely.

In all likelyhood we will have to take a step back towards a semi pro set up in November. But the road forward from there shouldn't be quite so tough as before.

There is still the Setanta prize money and this season's Europa League cash to add in as well. All of which should be banked so as to cushion our landing back down to earth. I honestly think we should stay out of the transfer market this summer. We're not going to qualify for Europe anyway so better to hold the ship steady until the close season.

overshoot wrote: »
    window dressing? its the world of (semi) professional football! The LOI in general has ****e facilities, god its bad when a club cant invest in the facilities.

I didn't say that.

And boo-hoo, I cant comment because we dont have 2-3k in attendance?!!

That's right.

As i said last time, if your "issues" on the pitch were as bad as ours you would be lucky to have a quarter of that. Have a go at Bara for not using one of the biggest budgets in the league properly, but to have a go at a club for investing in the future is ludicrous.
    Im well aware we are in the mess we are in because of a gamble in 2008, the worst time we could have done it in fairness but still stupid. Mostly we gave players who had been at the club for years and had heart full time football, just what you seem to want, but guess what, they werent good enough! The couple of mercenaries like Shaun Holmes & Gary Beckett didnt help.
    oh and you paid for everything? are you sure? heres €295,000 you recieved 18 months ago, selective memory you have there. Especially since it was over a year after the 20k we received from the council when in serious bother. It was not for the stadium and they are not funding the stadium, be more selective in your digs.

My point was no money was provided by Sligo Co Co or Borough Council -that's a fact.

Anyway going to tie both of those points together, Face up to it, money pays for the product on the pitch and you criticise the club for "window dressing," yet its and investment in infrastructure that will fund the club (or first team if you prefer) into the future.
    Harps took the gamble and "got themselves into a mess they can now get themselves out of it" by pumping all their money into the first team, which you seem to want. We have debt, a shed and a "pipe dream" and are languishing in lower division one for years but at least turning a profit the last few years.
    Sligo are struggling to progress on the pitch for the first time in 10 years, will have to contend with falling attendances and a set wage bill but have some of the best facilities in the league. No doubt a challenge, the fall from the top has a history of drastic consequences for LOI teams.

Either way, who is likely to have the product on the pitch fixed first?

had a look at our pipe dream today too, moving along nicely.

I really don't care about Finn Harps, so to even address any of these points is tedious and irrelevant. Of course we are a better club that Finn Harps (thats hardly difficult) - but I don't intend upon embarking upon a like for like analysis and comparison of all L of I leagues -- next I'll be replying to lunatics from Tralee Dynamos whinging about why they aren't a soccer superpower!

• Advertisement

I really don't care about Finn Harps, so to even address any of these points is tedious and irrelevant. Of course we are a better club that Finn Harps (thats hardly difficult) - but I don't intend upon embarking upon a like for like analysis and comparison of all L of I leagues -- next I'll be replying to lunatics from Tralee Dynamos whinging about why they aren't a soccer superpower!
    you criticised us for throwing all our money into the team and i rightly pointed out your hypocrisy as you critisised Sligo for investing in facilities and not pumping more money into the team. if you want the tl/dr version

anyway hows the view from your high horse, so much for the claims of being a long time fan who could remember languishing in mid division one? its only 10 years ago you finished 5th there! :rolleyes:

Advertisement