Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband near Headford?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi there

Anyone living out Headford way? I'm trying out find out what all internet services are available. The better connection the ... better!

Basically, want to see if you can get broadband out beside or past Claren church and National School (Greenfields road)

Thinking of moving out that way, but need broadband for work, or at least a fast enough connection.

Thanks!
    D2G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

What's the village/townland name? It's hit and miss depending how far you are frome exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I know for a fact that it can be got as far back as the junction at the school/church. I'm not sure how much further back it can be got. I've been talking to someone who lives further back by the lake and she can't get it. So it's a bit hit and miss.

Btw, hey leex it appears me and you are from the same area :)

I know of houses that have it 1-1.5 miles up from Claran church and maybe similar distance down Greenfield road. It is a bit hit and miss though - depends on your line, even your house wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Depending on the elevation of your house you might be able to get wireless broadband too. If you really get stuck 3G from vodafone or O2 would probably work aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

Thanks for the feedback. Actually turns out the house already has braodband connection which is brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

I just moved to Annaghkeen, Claren. what compinys do I have to chose from?
    Someone recommended BT cos they have an unlimited package but I don't think I can get them.

Airwire.ie may be your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I am a Claran man. I know a lot now who have broadband. There is also the 3G option which works well for my brother. No problems. He has a great line of site to galway on a hill though

tred wrote: »
    I am a Claran man. I know a lot now who have broadband. There is also the 3G option which works well for my brother. No problems. He has a great line of site to galway on a hill though

Actually I forgot about 3G. I tried my brother's 02 3G connection here (about 1 mile from Annaghkeen) and it was as good as the DSL speeds I get.

It's possible you won't get DSL in Annaghkeen - I tried a few of your neighbours numbers in the phoneline checker and it says it's not available. You may be lucky though with your line.

I'm in Claran, just down greenfields road from the church, and using UTV. Initially had me on a 2 meg line, signal was crap so they brought it down to 1meg. Apart from the slow spped the conneciton is very good. I work from home so am online over 40 hours a week and have no problems.

I'm going to get them to push it up to 2 or 3mb to check how that works over Chrsitmas when it is not essential for me to be connected. Will post results (unless I can't connect!)

• Advertisement

Drift wrote: »
    Depending on the elevation of your house you might be able to get wireless broadband too. If you really get stuck 3G from vodafone or O2 would probably work aswell.

I tried 3's wireless dongle and it doesn't work out here. Also have problems with vodaphone mobile. O2 mobile works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Hi,

we do serve the area with fixed wireless, if you find issues with your 3G service.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager
    Airwire
    http://www.airwire.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I'm in Claran, just down greenfields road from the church, and using UTV. Initially had me on a 2 meg line, signal was crap so they brought it down to 1meg. Apart from the slow spped the conneciton is very good. I work from home so am online over 40 hours a week and have no problems.

I'm going to get them to push it up to 2 or 3mb to check how that works over Chrsitmas when it is not essential for me to be connected. Will post results (unless I can't connect!)

You on that road..near the school or nearer to greenfields. Brother is using 02 , but hes on a hill and it helps. I believe some are using the shared scheme below...airwire is it..

You on that road..near the school or nearer to greenfields. Brother is using 02 , but hes on a hill and it helps. I believe some are using the shared scheme below...airwire is it..

Nearer the school.

Changed up to UTVs 3mb package and getting very good speeds (more or less 3mb). They did another line test and said the line was able for 4mb. Happy enough with the 3 as it is over 3 times faster than what I was getting. Was the headford exchange upgraded? Last check they did for me said the line could only take 512kb...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I believe some are using the shared scheme below...airwire is it..

Airwire is not a scheme, it's a full fledged commercial Internet Service Provider. If you are in doubt, check out our website, especially the page "about us".

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

See this article: http://www.headfordonline.com/2009/01/broadband-in-headford/

Explains why I was able to upgrade my UTV package over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

I had eircom out today and they said that it looks good as far as annaghkeen(my place) but I'll know if BT agree in the next few days. I'll keep you all posted.

Toft wrote: »
    I had eircom out today and they said that it looks good as far as annaghkeen(my place) but I'll know if BT agree in the next few days. I'll keep you all posted.

Sounds right - I am just beside where the greenfields and annaghkeen roads split.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement