Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey bridges between Chapelizod and Lucan?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Are there any Liffey crossings between between Chapelizod and Lucan suitable for walking or cycling? The only bridge I know is the Westlink, which obviously doesn't allow either.

Is there any specific reason why there are so few crossings west of the city? I understand that the Westlink is a major piece of infrastructure, but I thought there would be more small crossings, even for local access.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmleigh_Bridge

I don't know if it's safe though and I'm not sure if this is in the area you wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Thanks micmclo, but I think that bridge is in ruins - I don't fancy doing an Evel Knievel on it! It's also a bit too far west. I'm trying to find the best cycling route between Blanchardstown and Park West Business Park. From the maps, it looks like Blanchardstown-Castleknock-Chapelizod-Ballyfermot-Cherry Orchard-Park West is the only way to go. I was hoping for something a bit more direct.

Otherwise it looks like the M50 car park for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is there any specific reason why there are so few crossings west of the city?
    Possibly historical reasons: the existing bridge in Lucan was the third or fourth attempt to build a bridge due to previous ones being washed away! You can still clearly see the remnants of the abutment on the southern bank of the last bridge to be washed away in (I think) the 1800s.

It seems the Liffey doesn't like being bridged along this stretch.

There was suposed to be another high level bridge built linking Blanchardstown Road South (Diswellstown) with Fonthill Road North. This was scuppered with the breakup of Dublin County Council as Fingal refuse to continue with this plan due to peceived traffic volumes using this road as alternative to the nearby tolled M50-they have a point. The M50 should be de-tolled of course to encourage traffic off local roads!

A bridge in this location is now set to be built to carry the tram across the river and one hopes this will be like the Dargan Bridge in Dundrum and allow pedestrians and cyclists to use it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭gobdaw

murphaph wrote: »

There was suposed to be another high level bridge built linking Blanchardstown Road South (Diswellstown) with Fonthill Road North. This was scuppered with the breakup of Dublin County Council as Fingal refuse to continue with this plan due to peceived traffic volumes using this road as alternative to the nearby tolled M50-they have a point. The M50 should be de-tolled of course to encourage traffic off local roads!

A bridge in this location is now set to be built to carry the tram across the river and one hopes this will be like the Dargan Bridge in Dundrum and allow pedestrians and cyclists to use it also.

It's probably too much to hope that the MetroWest bridge across the Liffey valley would be designed and built to take a road as well as pedestrians and cyclists, if only to address the cronic congestion in Chapelizod village. A pipe dream, perhaps!

Advertisement