Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Gas Boiler

Options
  • 23-02-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,

Have a combination gas boiler in Dublin city that is cutting out every 10mins and has cloudy water coming out of the hot water tap.

Heating Chap came in and reckoned the boiler is knackered, got a quote for "Ideal Minc C 30/80" for 2,500 (incld installation).

Am I being fleased or is reasonable?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Gary,

Not enough information there mate. Bit like asking 'my red van is running rough, mechanic says it will cost 2 grand to replace. Am I being screwed?'

Obvious questions are :
    1. how old is the system
    2. is the heating side of the boiler working
    3. has it misbehaved before.
    4. what exactly did the heateing engineer say. Surely he gave you some more information. If I paid him a call out fee then I would at least expect a professional summary of the problem. If he just gave it 'the once over' then maybe he is too lasy or incompetent to diagnose the problem. Lot of people just see it as a 'black box', i.e. replace it entirely rather than problem solve.
    5. do you get a fault light when it cuts out. If so, what does the manual say.

I can't for the life of me see how the hot water can be cloudy. Contamination seems possible, but can't see from where. Would suspect the heat exchanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GaryKelly

Thanks Man! can see where youre coming from... to answer

Obvious questions are :
    1. how old is the system
    12 Yrs approx

2. is the heating side of the boiler working
    Yep but cuts off after 10mins and needs to switched back on.

3. has it misbehaved before.
    Yep has done something similiar about 4 years and can't find the number of the engineer for the life of me that fixed it.

4. what exactly did the heateing engineer say.
    Said the water wasn't going into the system despite flushing it through, said he went looking for parts and supplier told him it was too old a boiler and needed replacement.

5. do you get a fault light when it cuts out. If so, what does the manual say.
    No fault light. Alas no manual, bought the house 5 years ago and none came with it.

Good point on the report, will ask for a full written report.

Thanks
    Gary

Advertisement