Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this heavy on petrol?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I drive a Audi A4 1.6 (Model 2001 automatic) and its only getting 250miles (400 km) per tank of petrol (city driving). From my past experience I know this is extremely heavy... Is there something I could do? or a place I could take it to, preferably where I wont get ripped off? I live in the west of Dublin, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Good god....My 2.5 V6 does that at it's worst with city driving, thats with about 48 liters to fill it back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A bit of web hunting turns up a 15 gallon tank on an A4, does that look right?

If it is, you're getting around 17mpg, which looks pretty bad to me, even for a small engine pushing an automatic gearbox through city traffic.
    I'm getting 20mpg out of a 4.2 twin turbo. :D

Anyhow, when was the car last serviced, and are your tyres inflated correctly?
    Have you changed your driving style or regular routes lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Jesus I'm driving a 1.6 Octavia and it's giving me 40mpg - isn't there a trip computer on the A4 to give you the exact MPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lighten up on the right foot. Feather light! Is this your first auto? They are a bit harder on juice.

If relevant, replace air filter and spark plugs.

Switch off engine when stopped at lights or in traffic jams. Starting again uses only the same amount of petrol as two seconds of tickover.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

AFM, maybe. They're so cheap for a factory recon'd unit from a main dealer (less than €100 IIRC), you can be sure that if it doesn't need it now, it will eventually, so you may as well eliminate it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

That doesnt sound right.

I have the 2.4 pet V6 A4 auto and it does something similar around town.

I rarely bring my car into town anymore uses too much petrol, i bring herselfs smaller enjine 1.4 for town driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

esel wrote: »
    Switch off engine when stopped at lights or in traffic jams. Starting again uses only the same amount of petrol as two seconds of tickover.

That's interesting, didn't know that. Don't see many people switching the engine off in traffic though. So is there any reason not to turn the car off in heavy traffic (bar the inconvenience of turning it back on :rolleyes:)? ie. is it gonna wear anything else out very fast, starter motor, etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Switch off the engine if stuck in traffic. Switching it off every time you stop and starting it up again will wear out a conventional starter motor in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MWK1811

The service book shows that the car has been serviced at regular intervals. Maybe it needs to be tuned?
    Can anyone recommend a quality place for me to have the car serviced and tuned in the west of Dublin?

Rovi wrote: »
    A bit of web hunting turns up a 15 gallon tank on an A4, does that look right?

If it is, you're getting around 17mpg,

OP, you really need to tell us how much a "tank" is, rather than having us all guessing.

My maths show 32.4mpg.

• Advertisement

My apologies... it's a 55 liter tank.

MWK1811 wrote: »
    My apologies... it's a 55 liter tank.
    Is the tank 55 litres in size, or you get 250 miles from 55 litres?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

lol.. its an A4.. yes its going to be hard on the gas.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Is the tank 55 litres in size, or you get 250 miles from 55 litres?

The car has a 55 liter tank... and when I fill it up 55 liters I get approximately 250 miles of town driving before the reserve light comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

This link was posted previously on boards.

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

Accroding to the calculator on it you are getting less than 21mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

GB15 wrote: »
    This link was posted previously on boards.

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

Accroding to the calculator on it you are getting less than 21mpg.

Cool link - cheers:)

Advertisement