Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next weeks wintry potential

Options
  • 23-02-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭

I think there could well be a few that may have some surprise snow next week especially in the North-West, North and on higher ground as what happened around the end of 1st/2nd week of Jan.
    850hpa temps will be around -5C from Late Monday to Friday as cooler zonality takes hold and temps may be low enough at times for the areas mentioned above to have snow at times.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Could be one to watch:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

weres the wintry signs? Just looked at the usuall websites and forecasts on rte/bbc and theres not much to suggest colder than average conditions anywhere next week? RTE had 8 to 10C all next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Gonzo wrote: »
    weres the wintry signs? Just looked at the usuall websites and forecasts on rte/bbc and theres not much to suggest colder than average conditions anywhere next week? RTE had 8 to 10C all next week.

The GFS op run has been progging temps a lot higher than the rest of the ensembles, whether this means the op run will be right or the rest I don't know this split has become quite normal this winter for some reason. Anyway that would explain why most sites don't show things that cool as they use the op run data but I was only highlighting the risk of a few rogue wintry showers rather than people waking up to a foot of snow. It's certainly not going to feel as mild as it has recently this week.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Dublin_ens.png

trogdor wrote: »
    It's certainly not going to feel as mild as it has recently this week.
    Which just makes it cold and wet as opposed to warm and wet.
    I'd rather the weather was warm if it's going to be wet myself rather than cold and wet.

-5c 850's at this time of year here are useless except for making the rain heavier.

Which just makes it cold and wet as opposed to warm and wet.
    I'd rather the weather was warm if it's going to be wet myself rather than cold and wet.

-5c 850's at this time of year here are useless except for making the rain heavier.

I didn't say it was a good thing, just that it was going to be cooler;). I'd much prefer our first Spanish plume of the year:D.
    ps just noticed this on the Met Eireann 3 day forecast. Monday night could be interesting for places higher up.

Monday night: Very cold and very windy with clear spells and scattered rain, hail or sleet showers. Tuesday: A cold and very windy day with sunny spells and scattered rain, hail or sleet showers.

• Advertisement

Had a few quite brief but heavy hail showers here today which I was not expecting +Evelyn Cusack mentioned the possiblilty of "wintry showers" mid week on radio forecast earlier. I think as Trogdor originally pointed out that the hills of the Northwest especially are at risk this coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Woop woop! -4c 850hpa moving across the country for 24 hours in February!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this its first visit? Astonishing stuff.

Maxima of just 7c, winter set to strike alright:o

No disrespect to the OP! Just pished at this dire winter.

trogdor wrote: »
    t's certainly not going to feel as mild as it has recently this week.

Well that turned out to be true, the windchill today was awful. Even though temps hovered around 8/9c today, I have never felt as cold in my life outside today. Walking around Galway City was hell in that cold wind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

terrible windchill alright making it feel absolutely miserable but the sad reality is that it is still mild despite this, temps of 8 to 12C for the rest of the week which brings us into March. I would much rather calm, sunny and 'feeling warm' conditions and now want to put Winter 07/08 behind us and hopefully to start the buildup to Summer 08 soon and hopefully will end up as a much better summer than last year's disaster. Goodbye Winter 07/08 and roll on Summer 08:) It can only get better really, 2007 was a disaster of epic scale for most of us in every way for both Summer and Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

12Z's look interesting for this time next week, given the crappy winter so far I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

It seems potnetial was all it was and will ever be;).
    People have been saying how bad this winter was but iirc the winter before 06/07 was the same if not worse. In 06/07 here, we had a covering of hail for a few hours latish Jan which was our first cold snap and then after hours of rain we got about 2 hours of snow falling from the stalling front in early February. Not any better than this year which also had about 2 hours falling snow here on the leading edge of the front on the 4th Jan.

Advertisement