Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refilling closed system?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 12:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

i had to drain my system to replace a radiator and looking to refill it. How hard is this to do? I've looked on the web and in diy books but haven't found anything on closed systems. Is it just a matter of opening up the water inlet valve and filling from the mains? and venting all the air from all the rads? or is there more to it? Do I have to do anything with the expansion vessle? and what pressure should i bring it up to?

Also theres a few of those automatic air vents in the system. Do i have to open and close them? or do they look after themselves?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

yeah its just a case of refilling it and venting the air out of the rads,between 1.5 bar and 2 bar should be perfect,the vessel shouldnt have to be touched and the the little cap on top of the bottle vents should be kept slightly loose all the time to let air out although keep an eye on it as they have a tendency to let water out sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

I did the same with my system only yesterday and when I refilled it I could hear a lot of air coming from the vents, which I believe is good. However I now have some radiators that are not getting hot. The others are fine. I tried bleeding them but no air comes out, just water. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

turn the rads that are working off,leave the not working ones on and turn on your heating for 20 mins,they should work then, if so just turn all rads back on:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

landydef wrote: »
    turn the rads that are working off,leave the not working ones on and turn on your heating for 20 mins,they should work then, if so just turn all rads back on:)
    Thank you for that.
    I'll try later on and hopefully all will be well.

Advertisement