Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campervan Mileage

• 23-02-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Looking to buy second hand and just wondering how much mileage one would expect for a 2.5 diesel engine.

Am looking at a 98 reg Van with 110000 miles on it :D

Also want to say thanks for advice to date... Especially from a insurance comp that said don't touch it :eek:for the last one i was interested in...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭madharry

I am no expert by any stretch ,but my camper is 96 and also 2.5 and has 56,000km .are you sure its miles and not kms .if its miles it seems like a lot to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mileage on the engine is not really a worry as such.

All these small trucks that are the base for our campers have pretty decent and long lived engines.

The way how the mileage was clocked up is what matters. In your case where you are looking for a van to convert, personally I 'd be more inclined to pick one that clocked up a fair amount of well serviced long distance miles than one that has a low readout but made all those miles being jockeyd through town traffic with never a service.

The same goes for a factory made motorhome. I'd rather have one with a reasonable amount of miles, where there is a chance that it saw the occasional garage from inside than one that hasn't even reached its first service interval yet in five years and is slowly rusting away from the inside :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

The mileage seems pretty high but one has to consider the usage pattern of previous owners. Many campers clock no more than a few thousand miles 4 - 5K in a year. How much do you think you might clock up in a few weeks holidays - even on the continent and a reasonable amount of weekends away in this country ?

A few years back I went to France from Cahir, Co. Tipperary via Roasslare to Roscoff. I then drove South into Bordeaux which is not too far from the Spainish border,then back up diagonally to Paris and home. In total it was circa 1500 miles. Not a spin you would do every weekend - but so you can see how the mileage tends to be low on campers. Most weekends here would tend to be a few hundred miles or less.

Thus it seems high to me but as peasant says it depends on the usage and service / maintenance profile of the current / previous owners if any.

Regards,

Chavy RV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

My van has 115000km on a 2001. The reason for the high reading wa that the 1st owner was a big motorbike racing fan and followed the tour all over europe.......hence the high km reading. However, before I bought, I got the van checked by an independant assessor and was advised that it was in tip top shape

Advertisement