Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL modem update/upgrade

Options
  • 21-02-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I got a letter from UPC/NTL today informing me that they are making improvements to the network in my area & will be calling me to arrange a time
    for an engineer to call to my house to replace my BB modem !! I have the NTL HOME 200 modem at the moment to which I added the latest Dlink wireless (N) type router, this setup is 100% stable & working just fine as I am getting 720~800kbs download speeds from a 6mb connection,..the problem I have is that I fear their "Improvements" may actually dis-improve my service,..I'm thinking "if it isn’t broke don't fix it" to be honest,...........anyone else get one of these letters or can someone throw any light on the subject ?
    Rgds

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well a colleague at work is just signing up to UPC in Swords and they told him that the 6mb service will be increased to 12mb in March. So maybe this is why they need to change your modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

bk wrote: »
    Well a colleague at work is just signing up to UPC in Swords and they told him that the 6mb service will be increased to 12mb in March. So maybe this is why they need to change your modem.
    ahh now thats the kinda apples daddy likes,:D I have been trying to get through to UPC this morning to find out more but after 15mins waiting I hung up, I suppose they have to keep ahead or match eircom's new speed upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Got the same letter, looking forward to the new speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I had mine swapped out apparently there updating frequencies and the old 200 and 150 modems wont go high enough so there swapping all the modems out before the switch over prevention is better than cure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cool, so those with the 250 modems should be ok then and will not need a new modem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

how do you know which is which modem with upc? ive no writing on mine.just a black box with 1 ethernet and 1 usb cable and power + co-ax cable port.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Generally the cable modem will have a status page at http://192.168.100.1 which will tell you make/model along with a bunch of other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

i got this letter too,they're calling tomorrow, welcome to swap the modem and yes slight concern as its all been working well for years, we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Has anyone else recieved a letter or phone call informing you of an update/upgrade to the broadband modems that NTL supply?

Got a phone call yesterday about it - and am expecting an engineer today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes, got a letter. There is another thread about it here and modem speeds are expected to double.
    Also the new modems have a voip port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

I just got my new modem today...

Here are the details:

Model: Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 1.1
    Connections: 1 x USB; 1 x ethernet rj45; 2 x telephone RJ11; power; coax

boot revision: 2.1.6lR6
    firmware name: epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-070912c.bin
    software revision: epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-070912c

the board has the following:

1 x Broadcom BCM3368 - Integrated DOCSIS® 2.0 Single-Chip 2-Line VoIP Cable Modem
    1 x Broadcom BCM3419 - Advanced Direct Conversion Cable Tuner
    2 x Legerity Le9500 - high voltage Subscriber Line Interface Circuits (SLICs) (for the RJ11 ports)
    1 x Samsung K8D3216UBC - 4mb flash

also has a bunch of jumpers that might offer up JTAG / Serial access to the device...

From a network ports POV, only port 80 is open (status website; no login required). screenshot attached... Only one of the tabs is usable - the rest seem to have been disabled (including the logging functionality!).

From a NTL/Chorus/UPC/WeCan'tDecideWhatOurCompanyIsCalled POV this is a sensible move as it allows them to push triple play to people connected to their network. The engineer also mentioned that they are looking to start offering 12MB in the near future and 18MB in the longer term.

right - time to go back and see if I can use snmp / telnet to pull stats from the modem. :)

ntl phoned me at 21:20 last night & asked if they could call to me between 09:00~13:00 today to replace the modem,!!! no show as yet :(:( wasting my F**king day off.:mad::mad::mad: Dublin 7 navan Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

lensman wrote: »
    ntl phoned me at 21:20 last night & asked if they could call to me between 09:00~13:00 today to replace the modem,!!! no show as yet :(:( wasting my F**king day off.:mad::mad::mad: Dublin 7 navan Rd

ring the call center and ask where the engineer is. my engineer showed up at 13:10 while i was on the phone finding out why he hadn't shown up. I'm tempted to start sending them a bill for my time when they don't show up - at the end of the day I'm doing *them* a favour.

donal.hunt wrote: »
    ring the call center and ask where the engineer is. my engineer showed up at 13:10 while i was on the phone finding out why he hadn't shown up. I'm tempted to start sending them a bill for my time when they don't show up - at the end of the day I'm doing *them* a favour.
    on the phone at the moment,...keep getting cut off after a few mims waiting,...:mad::mad: have to re-dial again,...

lensman wrote: »
    on the phone at the moment,...keep getting cut off after a few mims waiting,...:mad::mad: have to re-dial again,...

bastards just rang me - engineer got delayed because they "didnt anticapate town would be busy because of the rugby match"

i live in town - it aint that ****ing busy!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    bastards just rang me - engineer got delayed because they "didnt anticapate town would be busy because of the rugby match"

i live in town - it aint that ****ing busy!!!!!!

maybe he called in sick and went to the match :p

maybe he called in sick and went to the match :p

hah - I knew boards would cheer me up :)

if so, i hope he has ****ty seats :)

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    hah - I knew boards would cheer me up :)

if so, i hope he has ****ty seats :)
    got through to youpissie, awaiting a call back from them with reason for no show today,..........
    UPDATE 19:30hrs,....no call back ever came, a whole day wasted, what is one to do ?,..they really don't seem to care,..not the person on the phone but they guy's pulling in the real money every month.

Advertisement