Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dairy free indian food!!

Options
  • 23-02-2008 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Help I'm heading out for dinner tonight to my local indian restaurant and I'm on a strict dairy free diet. What can I eat? I don't mind spicy

Edit: Oh what I'm really worried about is whether everything is cooked in ghee??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Alot of indian food tends to be vegan. You really will have to pipe up and ask the waiter for specifics. Better yet, ring before you go; I'm sure they will be happy to help. ..I suppose you may already be at this restaurant at this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Alot of indian food tends to be vegan. You really will have to pipe up and ask the waiter for specifics. Better yet, ring before you go; I'm sure they will be happy to help. ..I suppose you may already be at this restaurant at this time...

Im indian and I would disagree. most curries would be cooked with ghee aka clarified butter.

True. I recently learned this from an indian cookery course... Why must it always be so difficult to eat out!?!.... *sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

me an indian too but disagree that everything must cooked with GHEE
    I am here in Ireland for the last 8 years and vegeterian and we always use SUNFLOWER OIL. NO Ghee except for few party/festival dishes. for example
    all Paneer(Cottage cheese) dishes have dairy product and some dessert too (Rasgulla, gulab jamun, rice pudding etc) but as far as i know we dont buy ghee and all our dishes are made in sunflower oil,

cheers

i actuually agree with you Astraclub.

but in most induan restauants they would use ghee...ive eaten in plenty of the, to have tasted it.

we use olive oil 50% of the time nad then make our own ghee at home which i think makes fr better tasting vegtable dishes like mix veg and aloo gobi.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Trust me, there is not a 1% difference in taste between sunflower oil and ghee.
    I am a north indian (Delhian) and been vegeterian and have a bit of taste idea now (:);)) and have not discovered any difference in taste...
    cheers
    anyway for those who wants a great recipe website (recommended by me )
    for cooking, http://www.ndtvcooks.com/ this is the best, by far the best,
    Even we too take new recipes from this itself.
    cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What's the best recipe for making paneer? :)

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Thanks

Trust me, there is not a 1% difference in taste between sunflower oil and ghee.
    I am a north indian (Delhian) and been vegeterian and have a bit of taste idea now (:);)) and have not discovered any difference in taste...
    cheers
    anyway for those who wants a great recipe website (recommended by me )
    for cooking, http://www.ndtvcooks.com/ this is the best, by far the best,
    Even we too take new recipes from this itself.
    cheers

I too am North Indian...well born here but Punjabi at heart.
    Flying over tommorow :).

I am sure Sarson Ka Saag would not taste the same if cooked with Veg Oil.

That website is cool astra...cheers

Washout

its not the ghee or sunflower oil make Sarson ka saag tasty, its the ingredent and the sarson itself, to go garlic and wok.
    i never found any difference :-)
    i know now you just made me Zelous for Saag now.
    by the way, there is a readymade box of saag available at shop in Lucan
    try it with Paneer brilliant.

Tar.Aldarion there are many available dishes for paneer but the best of mine is "Shahi paneer", its on the website i mentioned, try it
    Cottage cheese (Paneer) you can buy it from any indian shop in town

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, I'll look that recipe up. I love Matar Paneer. Interested in making Paneer, but it seems difficult to get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ghee is more expensive than veg oil. I saw some in the bombay pantry's window. The OP was on a dairy free diet, don't know if that really meant lactose free, hits on google say ghee contains no lactose.

Ghee is basically butter isn't it?

ghee is butter boiled until it clarifies. "clarified butter" :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

ghee is butter boiled until it clarifies. "clarified butter" :)

You're correct but you wouldn't boil the butter to clarify it. Heating it up enabling it to melt fully then allowing it to cool will separate the butter. You'll then be able to skim it out with a spoon.

Advertisement