Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing fireplace

Options
  • 23-02-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey. I have one of those old houses with a fireplace in each room. A big one in the sitting room, and a smaller one in each of the other rooms. I was thinking of removing the fireplace in the small room, including the back of the fireplace, and using it for storage, maybe even build in shelves.

Any one got any experience, advice in removing fireplaces?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Moving the FP is okay as long as u leave a small vent in the infill to allow some air up the chimney.

Removing the chimney breast is generally not easily done as the chimney breast supports the full height of the chimney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

ircoha wrote: »
    Moving the FP is okay as long as u leave a small vent in the infill to allow some air up the chimney.

Removing the chimney breast is generally not easily done as the chimney breast supports the full height of the chimney

By chimney breast, do you mean, the external bricks? What I want to remove, is the back of the fireplace, you know the black part, to make a bit more space behind it.

Advertisement