Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Annoying Galway Politican

Options
  • 23-02-2008 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

While there will be a lot of nominations here, I'm casting my vote for Padraig Connelly.

I've stopped reading a lot of local papers on account of him. I was/am sicking of seeing his bloody mug in the paper every second week.

Second place goes to Michael Crowe. He reeks of ambition and you know he doesn't stand for anything.

Screw it I should just go through the lot of them. Third place is Catherine Connolly, she is always 'shocked and appalled'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

That Healy Eames one.....shes as fake as a cardboard cut out and loves herself being photographed for the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

Perhaps I should have titled this which politican do you least hate ?

Totally agree on the Healy Eames point. All that is wrong in any politican

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

Full of self adoration isnt she? Oh please woman, you dont work for the white house!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

niall o broaclachaaaann...the green party former mayor....can't stand the sight of the tree huggin head on him!"
    ...leave the stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mr A.

slickmcvic wrote: »
    niall o broaclachaaaann...the green party former mayor....can't stand the sight of the tree huggin head on him!"
    ...leave the stage

sure, between a beard-sporting former mayor defending environmental friendly values and a bunch of self-centered,power-driven and corruption-ridden walking clichés, the choice is tough

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oh good god, what a bunch of vegetables!

I predict we'll still vote them all in again in 2009 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

What kind of person would be a good politican ?
    I can see a coloured candidate at the next election

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Healy Eames - she was my lecturer in college. I thought I'd never see her again when I finished my course...now I can't open the paper without reading yet another opinion from her.

Frank Fahy - he's rude and obnoxious etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Why don't you change the thred to Most Interesting Galway Politician. Michael D Higgins would win it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Which colour? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Ah no, grey politicians all the way!
    John-Major.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

malice_ wrote: »
    Ah no, grey politicians all the way!
    John-Major.jpg

Grey is still a colour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Michael D might be the most interesting Galway politician but as useless as the rest of them.

If he spent more time doing his job as a local politician and less time worrying about airy fairy stuff on the other side of the world. He might be more effective. He's an eccentric. I read this in the Galway Independant. Does this make sense to anyone but him? European manufacturers designing guns for children????????????
    Ireland is not guilty when it comes to light weapons but partner countries in the European Union are
    “The response, when it became known that there were up to 250,000 child soldiers globally was to lighten the weapons children would carry rather than eliminate the weapons or remove the children from this appalling industry of death. Scientists were hired to use new materials that could lighten weapons to allow children of seven, eight and nine years of age carry them.”

The man is out there, somewhere all on his own.

Then there's O'Cuiv, a TD and minister only because of who he's related to. Always looks uncomfortable, like a Rabbit caught in a spotlight. Ineffective and dull, the classic grey man.

As for the others. I know nothing about them which tells you all you need to know.

The local councillors are a massive joke and the joke is on us. Most of them are not really interested in their local job. No, they all have ambitions for the Dail and it's expense accounts. Meanwhile we sit in all day traffic jams. Remember the poisoned water and the Eyre Square farce.

Galway is badly served by it's local politicians and quite frankly the so called professionals who staff both the city and county councils.

What is needed for the next local election is a massacre of the old guard and some new blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Least annoying, definitely Michael D and Niall O Brolchain. As for the former's being concerned with 'airy fairy' matters such as child soldiers, surely I'm not alone in wanting to see more conscientious and less parochial politicians.

Most shameful: all those county councillors who pretended that one of their number who had served time for misappropriating public funds had actually been off sick, so that he could resume his seat on getting out of gaol. Only in Ireland…

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

padraig71 wrote: »
    Least annoying, definitely Michael D and Niall O Brolchain. As for the former's being concerned with 'airy fairy' matters such as child soldiers, surely I'm not alone in wanting to see more conscientious and less parochial politicians.
    Agreed, TDs are elected as national legislators. Unfortunately, clientelism reigns supreme and elections are decided by promising to fix the potholes or by doing the funeral circuit.

We get the representatives we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Robbo wrote: »

Thanks, Robbo, I wanted to say that too, but chickened out, thinking I'd be flamed in moments! :)

Remember the apathy when the water crisis hit? There was a protest at City Hall - I thought it would be mobbed, but hardly anyone turned up; most sheeple, sorry I mean people, just started paying for clean water and hardly blinked. As for ethics and parochialism, you only have to read the threads about the GAA or the air show… And there are still plenty of people who will tell you what a great guy Charlie Haughey was - and doubtless are saying the same about Bertie now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Annoying doesn't necessarily have to equate to a bad politician, so you could approve of someone and still find them a head wrecker! Conneely, followed by Healy Eames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

I think Padraig Conneely is hilarious....it's almost entertaining now to see his sombre face week in week out in the local papers: pointing at overflowing rubbish bins, pointing at graffiti, pointing at broken kerbstones, pointing at Eyre Sq, pointing at people bushing down the arch, pointing at students on the rip during rag week, pointing at doubleparked taxis, pointing at seagulls cause one shat on him once....hmmm, guess you get the idea! The gall of the guy to continually use these photo-opps has to be admired, takes a very odd person to do it so shamelessly....

As for annoying my vote goes to the Connolly sisters, I find their self-righteous attitude to everything particulalry grating! Will never forget the time Catherine used her casting vote to block the Bish's move to Newcastle. Despite the fact that the move was wanted, even needed by the brothers, teachers, parents of the school. And of course it was done despite her husband being a teacher there....

Have no time for the likes of O'Brolchain either, and very little for the dinosaurs of the main parties. Hardly any vision for the future of Galway is displayed by any of them, just the usual constant attacks on developers, their own civil servants in city hall, the economy for causing Galway's mess without offering solutions.

The TDs dont bother me much either, have voted Michael D in the past but kind of losing interest in him, but dont think I would give my no 1 to any of the other four...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bilko

Crowe, that "independent" elected at the last election - all FF gimmicks and no substance followed by the eloquent,urbane Val Hanley.I suppose a non-entity like John Connolly will never appear on your radar,but being FF he's guaranteed to be re-elected given the constituency's devotion to all Fianna Failers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone else see the latest Padraig Conneely stunt?

Outing a sex shop that has been around for some time as unsavoury and unwanted in Galway, garnering national headlines as a result. Any reason why he chose to do it now as opposed to a few years back, besides local elections are on next year?

The cinema concerned isn't even in his electoral ward, so how can he be claiming to represent his constituents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Moral Outrage++

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Down with that sort of thing.
    Careful now

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

cp251 wrote: »

As for the others. I know nothing about them which tells you all you need to know.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

I love these political threads on the Galway board.

Nearly everyone seems overwhelmed with bitterness but for all your vitriol nobody ever comes close to providing any kind of answer.

I think to be a politician you have to have some kind of ego problem or emotional defect but in fairness you have to admire their nerve. To stick your neck out there when (judging by boards.ie) everyone knows better than you takes a special kind of courage.

The most annoying local politican is Padraig Conneely. He embodies everything cynical and despicable about the political charade. Thats just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I love these political threads on the Galway board.

Nearly everyone seems overwhelmed with bitterness but for all your vitriol nobody ever comes close to providing any kind of answer.

I think to be a politician you have to have some kind of ego problem or emotional defect but in fairness you have to admire their nerve. To stick your neck out there when (judging by boards.ie) everyone knows better than you takes a special kind of courage.

The most annoying local politican is Padraig Conneely. He embodies everything cynical and despicable about the political charade. Thats just my opinion though.

I was prepared to give them a chance. I've occasionally written letters to councillors asking certain questions, and last year I wrote to 8 of them who had voted yes to rezone a piece of land beside me from residential to commercial (it was part owned by another councillor). Only 2 of them bothered to reply - Terry Flaherty and Mary Leahy. Fair play to them at least for replying.
    The ones who didn't reply included Michael Crowe, Padraig Conneely, John Mulholland among others. Hence my lack of respect for them.
    IMO the best councillor in there is O'Brollchain, he's the only one who strikes me as committed. Most of the rest are just in it for the expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Will never forget the time Catherine used her casting vote to block the Bish's move to Newcastle. Despite the fact that the move was wanted, even needed by the brothers, teachers, parents of the school. And of course it was done despite her husband being a teacher there....

Not defending her but its the norm to use such a casting vote to oppose any motion and not support it. Happens in any Committee in any Organisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I don't know one that is work its salt... but...

my vote has to go to Mr. Frank Fahy..... a Galway Politician and head of the transport committee..... representing the county with the worst roads in Ireland! The man is a walking joke :confused:

When will we (Irish voters) cop on and stop voting in these clowns :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I like Mikey D Higgins.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

cp251 wrote: »
    Michael D might be the most interesting Galway politician but as useless as the rest of them... European manufacturers designing guns for children????????????
    lol. A 1998 EU code of conduct on arms exports bans governments from granting export licenses to countries where there are human rights abuses, internal or regional conflicts or regimes that support terrorism. There is even a clause prohibiting exports to countries where there is a risk of arms being diverted to an “undesirable end-user.” So eh, nice one Michael. He was the only politician that showed up at my door in the run up to the last elections however.
    Robbo wrote: »
    Its a bit of a joke alright. The question is who will step up to the plate to get themselves elected? How do you go about doing that anyway?

/breaks out Bonnie Tyler "I need a hero"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement