Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Annoying Galway Politican

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

The idea of actually liking a politician is a bit foreign to me but I'd say Michael D is my favourite purely for entertainment value.

Most annoying for me without a doubt is Michael Crowe.I'll never forget the day I got a phone call from a friend saying "Uh FouxDaFaFa, did you know Michael Crowe is on Keith Finnegan bitching about your family?".:confused:

Turns out he was complaining about a derelict house which my family were in the process of buying.Despite the fact that we weren't the legal owners and our entering the house would be breaking and entering, he was claiming that we were letting the house fall apart and become a safe haven for cokeheads and a deathtrap for children.

He didn't name names but where I'm from everybody knows your business so the locals would have no problem figuring out who he was on about and believing him.Couldn't believe it, he didn't even have the decency to get in touch and get the facts.

We cut his head off one of those leaflets he sends around and used it to make our Christmas angel this year.You don't want to know what we do with the little notepads...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 merchant08

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Most annoying for me without a doubt is Michael Crowe.I'll never forget the day I got a phone call from a friend saying "Uh FouxDaFaFa, did you know Michael Crowe is on Keith Finnegan bitching about your family?".:confused:

Turns out he was complaining about a derelict house which my family were in the process of buying.Despite the fact that we weren't the legal owners and our entering the house would be breaking and entering, he was claiming that we were letting the house fall apart and become a safe haven for cokeheads and a deathtrap for children.

dont get this?:confused: did he name your family?

merchant08 wrote: »
    dont get this?:confused: did he name your family?

He didn't use our surname but the way he was talking he might as well have.It'd be like saying "that white-haired eccentric Galway politician" rather than Michael D.Most people in my locality would have known exactly who he was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

How could you be responsible for a house you didn't own? Did he say something along the lines of 'The people who are going to buy this house have let it go to rack and ruin'?

It would be a very bizzare statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    How could you be responsible for a house you didn't own? Did he say something along the lines of 'The people how going to buy this house have let it go to rack and ruin'?

It would be a very bizzare statement to make.

You can have contracted to buy a house, but it can take a long time to actually take possession of the house. The Irish conveyancing (buying and selling of property) system is a mess. Sometimes the process from contracting to buy, to actually completing a purchase could take years!

The situation of "being in the process of buying" for a long time is entirely understandable (unfortunately).

• Advertisement

churchview wrote: »
    You can have contracted to buy a house, but it can take a long time to actually take possession of the house. The Irish conveyancing (buying and selling of property) system is a mess. Sometimes the process from contracting to buy, to actually completing a purchase could take years!

The situation of "being in the process of buying" for a long time is entirely understandable (unfortunately).

That's exactly it.When my parents put the offer in I was in Junior Cert.We got the keys when I was in second year of college (no joke).Crowe made the mistake of assuming that we were the owners and were just sitting back and encouraging children to play near broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

That's exactly it.When my parents put the offer in I was in Junior Cert.We got the keys when I was in second year of college (no joke).Crowe made the mistake of assuming that we were the owners and were just sitting back and encouraging children to play near broken glass.

Well then Crowe got it completely wrong. It was the duty of the people/person who were selling it to your folks to maintain the property etc. He could have/should have named and shamed them instead of your family.

Maybe he thinks you like trees? Did your family frighten him by planting some tree? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Bad form on his part. Should have got his fact straight. The 'fault' lay with the currents owners. I hope you contacted him to clarify that.

Well really, the fault lies with the partents of the kids. Also if there is Criminal Damage occuring the Gardai have a role to play.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Bad form on his part. Should have got his fact straight. The 'fault' lay with the currents owners. I hope you contacted him to clarify that.

Well really, the fault lies with the partents of the kids. Also if there is Criminal Damage occuring the Gardai have a role to play.

I can't actually remember if we contacted him as it was a few years ago but my father isn't one to let people (especially politicians) get away with stuff like that so I'm sure he heard from him!
    We've refurbished it now so it's no longer a danger to children!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Back to the subject of most annoying politician. Padraic McCormack has to take the biscuit for bragging about the expenses he receives. He got over €180,000 in the past two years and justified it on radio for being available to the public at all times. This is on top of the hefty wage he receives. Arrogant fek.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Clare County Council have today published the expenses of its councillors and management team online for the public to see

Seems to be a nice earner on the side for them imo
    Would galwegians be in favour of seeing the same happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

While there will be a lot of nominations here, I'm casting my vote for Padraig Connelly.

I've stopped reading a lot of local papers on account of him. I was/am sicking of seeing his bloody mug in the paper every second week.

Second place goes to Michael Crowe. He reeks of ambition and you know he doesn't stand for anything.

Screw it I should just go through the lot of them. Third place is Catherine Connolly, she is always 'shocked and appalled'

in other words all galwegian politicans are annoying?

That Healy Eames one.....shes as fake as a cardboard cut out and loves herself being photographed for the papers.

politicans do tend to get photograhed a lot, like BERtie in THE Times.

wahtever happened to ming the merciless?
    i heard he became a councilor in Roscommon, but am not sure

Healy Eames - she was my lecturer in college. I thought I'd never see her again when I finished my course...now I can't open the paper without reading yet another opinion from her.

Frank Fahy - he's rude and obnoxious etc.

there are two Frank Faheys are there not. the fianna failer is starting campaigning against the head shops. the great unwashed of galway must be up in arms.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    wahtever happened to ming the merciless?
    i heard he became a councilor in Roscommon, but am not sure
    Still is. He's been a few years on the council and I gather he's quite well respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Michael Reagan the ex auctioneer gone bust in Oranmore. Had to laugh when he converted his auctioneers into a bank and claimed he was the manager of it. Great laugh when they took the sign down.

He tried to run for TD which made me laugh.

also Frank Fahy from Fianna Fail does shag all and always has at least 10 ex GAA heavies hanging out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Robbo wrote: »
    Still is. He's been a few years on the council and I gather he's quite well respected.
    Legend.

Meanwhile under the Local Government Act, councillors must declare to the council whatever land, buildings, or dwellings they own, whole or in part, or have interests in, within the State.

Cllr Michael J Crowe holds seven investment properties,
    at College Road, Doughiska, Renmore, Monivea Road, Bishop O’Donnell Road.

Cllr Peter Keane has residential investment properties in Taylor’s Hill, Nile Lodge, Liosbán Industrial Estate, Oranmore, as well as agricultural land in Moycullen.

Cllr. Brian Walsh has 10 residential properties, located in Wellpark, Briarhill, Mervue, Sligo, and Dublin.
    Cllr Walsh is the part owner of units in the Mervue Industrial Estate, the Parkmore Industrial Estate, and the Briarhill Business Park; and that he has full planning permission for one detached residential unit in Merlin Park

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/30324

The Phoenix magazine did a recent profile on Cllr Brian Walsh. It contains information that I and am sure others were not aware of. Interesting that the local media don't seem interested in councillors' potential conflict of interest.
    Brian’s background is in finance, having worked in corporate banking for National Irish Bank for four years until 1998, before joining Anglo Irish Bank as an assistant banking manager in Galway. He left a year later to set up a financial consultancy, called Burke Tarpey Walsh Financial Services, and became directly involved in the property game himself, acquiring no less than nine apartments from around 1999 to 2004..These days with the property market in tatters Walsh is a fulltime councillor, with his consultancy having ceased trading in July 2009..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

snubbleste wrote: »
    The Phoenix magazine did a recent profile on Cllr Brian Walsh. It contains information that I and am sure others were not aware of. Interesting that the local media don't seem interested in councillors' potential conflict of interest.

No secrets there. I'm not sure what your point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

anyone get a "portrait" of hildegarte naughton through their letterbox over the last couple of weeks. The audacity of that one - one full side of the cardboard dedicated to a posed picture of herself - I mean, even if she WAS goodlooking it is a bit narcissistic. Will certainly turn a lot of people off - what planet is she living on. Unbelievable

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

yeehaw wrote: »

Not sure I follow either. Brian Walsh always excuses himself from the Council chamber when any items are to be discussed in which there is even a potential conflict of interest i.e. Briarhill rezoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

<snip>

yeehaw wrote: »

I didn't realise that Cllr Walsh had such a vested interest in the property market (maybe 1 or 2 but not 10+) and was a former assistant manager in a vital state asset.
    You have to remember that councillors can use information surrounding City Council housing policy such as RAS and planning issues to their advantage. Obviously I'm not saying that they are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

anyone get a "portrait" of hildegarte naughton through their letterbox over the last couple of weeks. The audacity of that one - one full side of the cardboard dedicated to a posed picture of herself - I mean, even if she WAS goodlooking it is a bit narcissistic. Will certainly turn a lot of people off - what planet is she living on. Unbelievable

Frank Fahy is a little fraud - no more, no less

Oh I see, when Padraig Coneeley has his mug taking up one side of a flyer it's grand but when she does it it's narcissistic...:rolleyes:

The only thing I thought was funny from the flyer was that she doesn't use her surname in the title, now she's known as merely Hildegarde. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

The Galway Politician that annoys me the most has to be Frank Fahey although what annoys me more than him is the fact that he keeps getting re-elected by the electorate.
    In my view his personal holdings give rise to a conflict of interest in positions he's held while in office. The following link brings you to an article written by Kernan Andrews of the Galway Advertiser in March of this year stating all of property and financial interests of Frank Fahey between 2001 and 2009:
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/23631

The following link brings you to a page on Frank Faheys website which details positions he's held while in office:
    http://www.frankfahey.ie/about-frank-fahey.php?id=32

The following is a list of points which I think is a conflict of interest:

1) Between 2004 and 2007 he was Minister of State at the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform, with special responsibility for Equality.
    How can you be a landlord for numerous properties and be as what I see a property speculator and be responsible for equality in the country!

2) From 2007 to present he has been the Chairman of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Transport while at the same time he has shareholdings in Ryanair.

3) From 2007 to present he has been Member of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Finance & Public Service while he has a shareholding in Irish Life and Permanent and Aviva.

Maybe i'm way off the mark and maybe the scope of the committee's have nothing to do with the private sector but thats the way I'm reading it so feel free to disagree/correct me.

Also up until 2007 Frank Fahey under a longstanding scheme kept his permanent teaching position open in case he didn't get re-elected which meant some student teacher couldn't be hired on a permanent basis and given a permanent salary. He also gets a teachers pension along with his TD's salary as he retired from his post.

But fundamentally I feel pissed off at the fact that at a time when Fianna Fail are spouting about everyone feeling the pain and everyone having to take a bit of the burden I find myself wondering what burden Fahey will feel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Oh I see, when Padraig Coneeley has his mug taking up one side of a flyer it's grand but when she does it it's narcissistic...:rolleyes:

The only thing I thought was funny from the flyer was that she doesn't use her surname in the title, now she's known as merely Hildegarde. :)

Coneeley is far too ugly to be accused of narcissism:D

The 5 most dodgy, greedy and opportunistic politicians in Galway are

1. Frank Fahey (obviously)
    2. Brian Walsh (Fine Gael councillor, property baron and speculator)
    3. Noel Grealish (ex-PD who is now suddenly anti Mary Harney and against spending cuts as we get closer to election time, complete opportunist)
    4. Micheal Crowe (current FF mayor, auctioneer, landlord, had the cheek to join anti-government protests over cuts to brothers of charity, would kick his own mother to get into the Dáil)
    5. McNelis (Blueshirt turned Labour to increase his electoral chances, an out and out right wing IBEC man trying to ride the labour rise in the polls)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

what can we do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Found it hilarious.. Not even the fine gael logo or anything on that side.. Just her face..... Then the back pointing out the terrible mess that we're in but not a proposed solution in sight.. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement