Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Annoying Galway Politican

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

As a proud Galwayman I am disgusted that he is representing us
    I feel your sentiments.
    Frank finally quit his teaching post in 2009 after it was continually highlighted in the media.
    For some reason Frank does not want to lose his TD job, he is very vocal these days in advance of an election. You'd have to wonder why this is the case..
    Could some whistleblower in the government departments please contact wikileaks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

snubbleste wrote: »
    . You'd have to wonder why this is the case..
    Compare the number of gaffs here

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/publications/Reg05.doc

With the number of gaffs here

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=11429&CatID=20&StartDate=01%20January%202009&OrderAscending=0

and then try to figure out how much he spent during that time. A rough guess will do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Frank Fahy has to win it hands down for various reasons

1. As minister for Marine and Natural resources he signed over a potential recession beating gas field to Enterprise Oil in Mayo who later passed it on to shell

2. As Junior Minister for Justice, Law and equality reform he lobbyed the then Minister for Marine and Natural resources to force a planning approval for the Corrib Gas Field claiming that not approving it would be a travisty to the west even though the Irish people would gain very little from it, Shell at the time were employing workers from other countries

3. Ironically (possibly consequently) at the same time he was creating a massive property portfolio on a teachers and politicians salary (Make your own conclusions about brown envelopes)

4. Since becoming a politician in 1993 he took a career break from teaching and hasn't returned or even considered quiting. His current position has prevented another skilled replacement to be given a permanent contract. By holding onto his teaching contract he will be able to get a teachers pension and a politicians pension.

5. He has ruined infrastructue development schemes throughout the west since becoming part of the transport department as previous threads in this forum have indicated.

The above are only some of his flaws, the combination of corruptness and gombeenism gives him the vote from me, he is the worst type of person who has a large part to play in the destruction of the Irish economy and nation, how he got consistantly elected is beyond me, he sold out his people for his own financial gain on various occasions and will continue to do so while he is in power. Galway people who voted for him should be ashamed of themselves. As a proud Galwayman I am disgusted that he is representing us.

Michael Crowe
    , as annoying as he can be is a saint compared to this guy, he should be in jail not in the Dail. I have never before formally expressed an opinion of him and I am amazed by the anger I feel about him whilst I type this. The man is a parasite to society and should be treated like the filth that he is. All of the information I have provided can be easily found in various books(Once upon a time in the west) and wikipedia

That is all :D

This posts sums up this forum. A clearly defamatory comment that expresses views shared by absolute muppet mods like PopeBuckfast (who has thanked the defamatory post) is left standing. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

yeehaw banned for 3 days to give him time to research the 'report post' button.

Edit: Will lift ban and give benefit of the doubt on a 'raised passion' so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

I forgot that Frank Fahey stepped down as a teacher, the fact is though that if he had not been bombarded by the media he would still be a registered teacher.

He is getting louder alright but I put that down to the general election coming up, Noel Grealish is using the same tactic, if Noel Grealish had any tact he would have stepped down from the government ages ago instead of holding up the current shower of..... Grealish has a part to play too and he is currently stepping away from his responsibilities and allowing FF and the greens to take all of the blame. It takes a weak man to blame the other guy who you allied with for years, Grealish is another person who I would put on my list, his march at the Merlin Park hospital was nothing short of hypocritical and disgraceful. His former PDs leader and associate Mary Harney was the minister responsible for cuts in the health sector and there he was marching against it, if he had any balls he would have discussed it with her and not gone for the populist approach grabbing the headlines, he is in goverment and he is out protesting againt himself basically. If you don't like it step down and call for an election. Another thing he did that annoyed me recently was to anounce that he was going to vote against the budget before he had even read it. For all he knew the budget could have had positives but he was going against it anyways because it was the popular thing to do.

Going back to Frank Fahey, the list of properties he has is unbelievable, I knew he had a lot but I had no idea it was that large. How does he get away with owning so much on a politicians salary, it just doesn't add up.

Who is voting for these people and what do they have to gain from them being in power. I understand that tradition keeps the FF and FG vote alive but surely voters can't be that oblivious to Frank Faheys affairs. The strange thing is that even though everyone knows that he is dodgey he will still get a large number of first preference votes. The Irish way of thinking is sometimes beyond me

• Advertisement

I forgot that Frank Fahey stepped down as a teacher, the fact is though that if he had not been bombarded by the media he would still be a registered teacher.

He is getting louder alright but I put that down to the general election coming up, Noel Grealish is using the same tactic, if Noel Grealish had any tact he would have stepped down from the government ages ago instead of holding up the current shower of..... Grealish has a part to play too and he is currently stepping away from his responsibilities and allowing FF and the greens to take all of the blame. It takes a weak man to blame the other guy who you allied with for years, Grealish is another person who I would put on my list, his march at the Merlin Park hospital was nothing short of hypocritical and disgraceful. His former PDs leader and associate Mary Harney was the minister responsible for cuts in the health sector and there he was marching against it, if he had any balls he would have discussed it with her and not gone for the populist approach grabbing the headlines, he is in goverment and he is out protesting againt himself basically. If you don't like it step down and call for an election. Another thing he did that annoyed me recently was to anounce that he was going to vote against the budget before he had even read it. For all he knew the budget could have had positives but he was going against it anyways because it was the popular thing to do.

Going back to Frank Fahey, the list of properties he has is unbelievable, I knew he had a lot but I had no idea it was that large. How does he get away with owning so much on a politicians salary, it just doesn't add up.

Who is voting for these people and what do they have to gain from them being in power. I understand that tradition keeps the FF and FG vote alive but surely voters can't be that oblivious to Frank Faheys affairs. The strange thing is that even though everyone knows that he is dodgey he will still get a large number of first preference votes. The Irish way of thinking is sometimes beyond me

It is pretty obvious to me that Frank Fahey did very well in the boom years out of his property investments. He then chose to re invest in more property. I don't think that there is any reason to accuse him, or anyone else, of untoward behaviour.

yeehaw wrote: »
    This posts sums up this forum. A clearly defamatory comment that expresses views shared by absolute muppet mods like PopeBuckfast (who has thanked the defamatory post) is left standing. Ridiculous.

What is defamatory about it, you can read all of the information online or in the book I suggested. If you wish to ignore facts then that is your own problem I am just expressing clear reasons why I have issues with the man. To me it would only be defaamatory if I was lying about him. If you think I am so wrong can you provide me with proof

It is pretty obvious to me that Frank Fahey did very well in the boom years out of his property investments. He then chose to re invest in more property. I don't think that there is any reason to accuse him, or anyone else, of untoward behaviour.

What would you say about someone, however, that used his position of authority (TD) to organise a meeting in the middle of the crash, to encourage people to get into the property pyramid, at a lower level?

It's hardly working for the best interests of those people? And more working in the interests of the people who already had property (as it was an attempt to get more people into the bottom, to shore up prices), such as himself.

To me, that's clearly an example of working against the interests of his constituents, in favour of his own business interests.

There's nothing wrong with having business interests, so long as they don't cloud your judgement when it comes to your constituents interests.

There didn't have to be a conflict here. Nobody forced Deputy Fahey to hold a meeting encouraging his constituents to buy property, he could have, at the very least, kept his mouth shut.

Did you look at the list of properties that poster Spongebob provided that Frank Fahey owns, its a crazy property portfolio. I understand that investment originally during the boom time allows for further developments but how does it get to that scale without untoward behaviour as you called it in such a short period of time. Why has he not been investigated?

What is defamatory about it, you can read all of the information online or in the book I suggested. If you wish to ignore facts then that is your own problem I am just expressing clear reasons why I have issues with the man. To me it would only be defaamatory if I was lying about him. If you think I am so wrong can you provide me with proof

Without wishing to be accused by the forum Gods of 'back seat modding again, I am going to respond to you.

This statement is defamatory.
    '3. Ironically (possibly consequently) at the same time he was creating a massive property portfolio on a teachers and politicians salary (Make your own conclusions about brown envelopes)'

You also refer to Frank Fahey as being corrupt, which, again, is defamatory.

When you make a statement like that, the onus is on you to prove the truth of it.

• Advertisement

Without wishing to be accused by the forum Gods of 'back seat modding again, I am going to respond to you.

'3. Ironically (possibly consequently) at the same time he was creating a massive property portfolio on a teachers and politicians salary (Make your own conclusions about brown envelopes)'

When you make a statement like that, the onus is on you to prove the truth of it.

I don't see any direct accusations being made here.

As far as I can see there's also no reason to suppose that Deputy Fahey has defrauded the state, or anyone else, or gotten his gains in any illegal manner. Simply having a reasonable salary and an existing property was enough to put together a 'portfolio' during the bubble years.

As for corruption, I don't know what else you'd call it when someone places personal business interests above the interests of those he is supposed to serve, it's at least corruption of judgement.

That or incompetence, either way I can't see any reason to vote for the man.

I said possibly so its up to the reader to draw their own conclusions, I did not state it as fact and never suggested it as so

I said possibly so its up to the reader to draw their own conclusions, I did not state it as fact and never suggested it as so

Your inference is clear and you quite clearly state that the man is corrupt without any shred of evidence to that effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Ombudsman in her investigation into the Lost at Sea scheme stated that the scheme was administered improperly and that former fisheries minister Frank Fahey had used undue influence on how the scheme was administered. The great majority of the funds distributed under the scheme went to two of his constituents. This was then submitted to a parliamentary committee which had a majority of FF votes and quelle surprise it was rejected. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ombudsman-says-ff-forced-tds-to-reject-fishing-report-2390342.html

Undue influence and improper administration of a scheme for the majority benefit of two constituents.

Your inference is clear and you quite clearly state that the man is corrupt without any shred of evidence to that effect.

I don't want to be going around in circles here but where are you getting that I stated that he was corrupt, i said that his property portfolio coincided with goings on in the Corrib gas field, I merely suggested that it was a coincidence and that brown envelopes could have possibly been involved. It may or may not be true

A person with that many assets can no longer represent the people that voted them as they have conflicting interests

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I blame Franks friends for misleading him awfully so I do, these friends are in Limerick :)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fahey-partners-focus-of-probe-by-nationwide-1879541.html
    Fianna Fail TD Frank Fahey owns apartments in the centre of Brussels in partnership with suspended INBS manager Noel Harrington, and Limerick developer Ger Clohessy.

This one

http://www.limerickblogger.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1297
    Published Date: 03 March 2009
    A CASE is continuing in the High Court today where a senior manager with Irish Nationwide Building Society is seeking a High Court order to prevent an investigation into his conduct relating to a number of accounts run by a Limerick property developer involving a sum of about €36 million.

Noel Harrington, manager or the Irish Nationwide branch at Cruises's Street and with an address at The Hermitage, Mill Road, Corbally, is alleging the Society had sanctioned, at the very highest level from its head office, the manner in which the accounts in question were operated.

In his legal proceeding, he wants an injunction to prevent the society taking steps to appoint an investigator into his conduct and he also wants an order restoring him to his position as senior manager.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/banks-seek-orders-for-150m-in-loans-122479.html
    The unopposed claims included the INBS case against Mr Clohessy, Mount Shannon Road, Annacotty, Lisnagry, Co Limerick, arising from six loan accounts operated by him with the society. INBS claimed the total amount owed under the various acounts, plus interest, was €34.57m.

The society said the loan arrangements were principally connected with the Evanwood development being carried out by Mr Clohessy at Golf Links Road, Castletroy, Limerick, the Drominbeg Housing Estate development at Rhebogue, Co Limerick and the purchase of other investment properties at Rhebogue.

The society said it learned last November for the first time judgment mortgages had been registered against Mr Clohessy’s property interests which were not notified to it, constituting a major event of default of the conditions of the loan facilities.

And then there was that Hairdressing Business , thank feck he was a junior minister for justice in 2006 and able to make a complaint to the Gardai.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/greens-make-political-hay-while-the-sun-shines-hard-on-junior-minister-132634.html

Frank Fahey initially told one newspaper he had "no involvement" in the venture. Nor had he broken ethics rules because, at that time, he pointed out, senators and TDs were not obliged to declare their spouse's business interests.
    That would have been that but for moles who came out of the woodwork to allege that he was "involved". A businessman who had dealings with Frank Fahey came forward to the newspaper to disclose numerous contacts with Fahey in relation to the Moscow business. The newspaper also got a legal letter and company minutes, which named the minister in connection with the salon.
    Mr Fahey issued a lengthy statement to the newspaper. He denied saying that he had "no involvement" in the hairdressing salon. Nor had never made a secret of being involved, he said, and had travelled to Moscow "as an ordinary citizen to support the investors including my wife who were attempting to set up a hair salon there".
    He claimed that "the whole thing was part of a regional political campaign by a number of individuals to do damage to my integrity, character and good name".
    But he didn't stop there. Mr Fahey, a survivor of numerous political controversies, thought this one had gone far enough.
    He took the unusual step of calling in the Gardai to find out who was behind this supposedly orchestrated smear campaign.

The investigation into the "smear campaign" was quite the waste of garda resources...made more so because the wastage of Garda time was deliberately caused by a Junior Minister in the Department of Justice no less.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-find-no-evidence-of-smear-tactics-against-fahey-60405.html
    For more than six months a team of detectives have investigated the claims but sources say detectives found "absolutely nothing" to support Mr Fahey's assertions.

When such serious allegations are made by a Government minister, especially in the justice department, they are exhaustively evaluated by gardai.

The minister made the claims at a time when the media was reporting on his relations with late businessman Kevin McHugh, who received a significant proportion of the State mackerel quota from the EU.

You could not make stories up about the company Frank keeps, honestly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Frank looking good 2:44 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

What would you say about someone, however, that used his position of authority (TD) to organise a meeting in the middle of the crash, to encourage people to get into the property pyramid, at a lower level?

It's hardly working for the best interests of those people? And more working in the interests of the people who already had property (as it was an attempt to get more people into the bottom, to shore up prices), such as himself.

To me, that's clearly an example of working against the interests of his constituents, in favour of his own business interests.

There's nothing wrong with having business interests, so long as they don't cloud your judgement when it comes to your constituents interests.

There didn't have to be a conflict here. Nobody forced Deputy Fahey to hold a meeting encouraging his constituents to buy property, he could have, at the very least, kept his mouth shut.

I watched this unfold at the time with sense of disbelief and utter disgust. At the time the bubble had well truly been laid bare for what it was. Fahey, with a collection of Bankers and Estate agents, organised a number of these events in Galway in the hope of pulling in more suckers to prop up the pyramid scheme that was the Irish property market.

These politicians/'property investors', bankers and estate agents knew full well the bubble was deflating.... but still went out of their way to **** over more young couples.

I just hope that someone that took 'financial advice' from these people sues. I wonder how many of them are QFA qualified?

These people are seriously lacking any form of decency.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement