Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway hospitality

Options
  • 23-02-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

My wife and I arrived in Galway on Feb 14 for a 5 day stay in the city. This was our first visit to Ireland. We rented a car in Shannon and took the back roads through the Burren, visited the Cliffs of Mohr and spent the next 4 days in Galway... We had planned to travel up the coast but enjoyed Galway so much that we spent the entire time in the city. Are all the towns in Ireland this tourist friendly?

MDO
    Fredericksburg, Virginia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hi MDO,
    Glad you liked it. It is probably one of the top cities to visit for tourists. Ireland generally is quite friendly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mdo

My descendents came over in 1757 from County Donegal. I plan a return visit to Galway and Donegal at least every two years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

To answer your question and as echoed above , yes most towns in Ireland are as friendly as Galway. Depends on what time of the year you get here and what activities are going on too.Our local paper here in Galway had an open letter from a Tourist couple visiting who had a less than pleasant experience due to a bunch of drunken rag week students harassing them,so not everyone has the rosé experience that you had but on the whole most visitors to Galway and Ireland on the whole will find us a generally friendly nation.

It seems most newspapers don't consider an article newsworthy unless it creates controversy. If you would post the name of the paper or how to reach them, I would share the positive experience we had while visiting your city.

Taken at the Tigh Choili (wife,new friend,wife's twin)
    DSC00545.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Yup id say most towns are, Irish people in general are fairly easy going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

mdo wrote: »
    It seems most newspapers don't consider an article newsworthy unless it creates controversy. If you would post the name of the paper or how to reach them, I would share the positive experience we had while visiting your city.

There a lot of five local newspapers but the one with biggest circulation is www.galwayadvertiser.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Galway is a great town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Last may, we met a French couple in the Kings Head, they were meant to be in Galway for one night only, they stayed for the rest of the week, we met them out each night, they even managed to miss their ferry home afterwards.:D

Had a great time at the Tig Coili, An Pucan, Quays and Taaffes.... Many thanks to the people in these photos... Unbelievable hospitality!!! and also a big thank you to Richard Hartmann at Hartmanns and Son.......

Frank Williams and John
    DSC00867.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

She helped us at Fallers.... as kind as can be! Beautiful too.....
    DSC00699.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Taaffes Guinness and music is great. Looks like you had some admirers too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

glad u had a good time :)

Sherifu wrote: »
    Taaffes Guinness and music is great. Looks like you had some admirers too. :D

The music was great! Like I said... We met the friendliest people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Galway is really tourist friendly :) Tell all your friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Galway is a great place to visit (or live) - just don't come during Race Week in August, when the city is inundated with hordes of drunken barbarians. Ditto for Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I've had quite a few friends from abroad here over the years, in may there's a get together with a Tribute Band at the Quays for fans of the band Rush and so far there's 61 people booked from abroad for the weekend, purely on Galway being recommended by the people who have been here already.:cool: They constantly go on about how friendly the place is and how much fun it is.

padraig71 wrote: »
    Galway is a great place to visit (or live) - just don't come during Race Week in August, when the city is inundated with hordes of drunken barbarians. Ditto for Paddy's Day.

Same here in the United States....... Daytona, Myrtle Beach or New Orleans....most everyone is drunk....

Advertisement