Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q about resale value's etc....

Options
  • 23-02-2008 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭

Right,

I've been told my uglybeautiful purple bike is beyond economic repair. So I guess I need a new one.

Now, I might not be in the country in 3 or 4 months, so if I got something like an SCR3, what could I expect to get for it if I sold it in a few months?

I don't want to get a cheap bike to keep me going which is what everyone is suggesting. I'd like to go off up the mountains on weekends and stuff, so I want something decent.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

realistically you will be taking a big fall on it!!
    you will be better off spending a bit on a great frame, with okay parts as opposed to vice-versa, as it is a platform you can build on.

the only way you can break even on a 2nd hand bike is if ou buy it for less than the rrp , this usually means USA, Canada etc:(

sure you should buy 2nd hand if your not sure, buy and sell can be great

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Depreciation on bikes is massive, I would suspect in the range of 50% off the RRP after a year. A lot of people selling second hand look for money they will never get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Hmmm,
    The bike I gave as an example is 500blips on wiggle, 730+ in the local bike shop, so I'll have to absorb that at least.
    And I may not be leaving the country quite so soon after all, so maybe this thread is moot now.

But would we say, 50% depreciation on local bike shop selling prices after 6 months, if it's well maintained? Would that be pushing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would imagine you would get 400-450 at least for a good condition six month old SCR3. Just a feeling. One of the problem selling on is that you have to find someone who wants the bike and is the right size; I know some people can be waiting for some time. Probably easier to sell an entry-level bike though (I sold my own Trek 1000 a few years ago for the same price I bought it for- bought it secondhand myself.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

ooh, I see Wheelworx still have some 2007 models at lower prices....

http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=12&products_id=29

http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=46

Should I feel bad if I went there rather than my local bike shop? It's a still a local bike shop like.

Going 2nd hand is an issue as I can't really wait around. Also I'm 6'4" so there's not a lot out there for me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement