Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlady deposit dispute

Options
  • 23-02-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello.
    Last June I moved into a new apartment with my then girlfriend, the room we where moving into had two single beds, when the land lady (we where renting through a letting agent) found out a couple was moving in she upped the rent by €200. when we heard this we asked for double bed which we felt we where entitled to considering. Then we discovered the heater in our room didn’t work then the shower broke, she sent someone around to check on the shower who said the motor was broken and we’d need a new one. Her attitude was “oh it’s a lot of money to be asking the land lady for all at once” and that was it she said she’d get back to us.
    We refused to sign the lease till we got the apartment up to what we considered the proper standard.
    7 months later and she still hadn't got the shower fixed, the heaters fixed or bought us the new bed.
    Anyways as luck would have it me and my girlfriend decided to break up and hence move out, we gave 2 months notice and found new tenants however as we hadn’t signed the lease as she hadn’t fixed anything or got us the bed she started acting up about the deposit.
    She’s now saying she’s taking €400 from the deposit to pay a solicitor to draft up a new lease for the new tenants.
    Is she in her rights to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No, and you should be able to contact the prtb about it. She should have got a lease drawn up in the first place, at her own cost, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

She didn't have a written lease which is her loss.

You were more than nice to her to give her 2 months notice and find her new tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jesus smith

No sorry think I put that down wrong she had a lease for us but we refused to sign it till she got the things we wanted sorted, the charge now is money taken out of our deposit to pay for a solicitor to draft up a new leese agreement for the new client.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bull. She takes it to the photocopying shop, Tip-exs out you name and adds the new one. 2 euro tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

As you never signed the lease, you have no contract with her. Tell her that unless she refunds the deposit in full you will contact the PRTB. That should frighten her into returning it, as she sounds like an amatuer who isn't registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Victor wrote: »
    Bull. She takes it to the photocopying shop, Tip-exs out you name and adds the new one. 2 euro tops.

Even better. Scan it into a Pc and use a paint application to erase your names and re-print. Hand it to her and say there you go - new lease ready for new tennants. Also good advice above about the PRTB. I'd print out a letter from the PRTB saying that she cannot take the €400 for that reason and show her it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Even better. Scan it into a Pc and use a paint application to erase your names and re-print.

Get your full deposit back, and then charge her €200 for this service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Has she registered you with the PRTB?

You would have gotten a letter in telling you that you had and you can always check with them if you are registerd.

If she hasnt then she can swing for it...

Advertisement