Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave Modem Hanging/Losing Connection

Options
  • 23-02-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a strange problem - cant find any other info on the net about it so thought I'd pick your brains see if any of you might know the cause.

Basically I have a home network, and to access the internet I use a USB Ripwave modem from Irish Broadband.

So, whenever I load a website the modem instantly drops its connection, loses its IP address and the top light goes off, the one that indicates signal quality.

However if I load up a website from one of the networked PC's I can browse away without any issues. This first started occuring about two or three years ago, however the problem 'appeared' to solve itself; it stopped happening and I had forgotten all about it.

I just set up my new server running Windows Home Server and the problem has showed up again; I can browse websites and use the connection with no problem from a networked PC but if I load a website from the server or through remote desktop connection the connection drops and I lose my IP. I have to turn the modem on and off to correct this problem.

I'm not sure what I did the last time to solve this; and as the modem is now in the attic getting up there to turn the modem on/off is being a real pain in the a** - also I cant use the server to download things which is the main reason I bought it.

I've updated to latest drivers too; any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I've still been unable to resolve this - I just find it bizarre that I can use the connection fine from a networked pc but when I load up a site on the pc with the modem connected the IP address drops.

Anyone think it could be to do a with a conflict of the subnet mask, I have my home network set to 255.255.255.0 and I noticed that the modem connects on a subnet of 255.255.254.0 - not sure if it always did that. May try changing it around when I get home tonight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All I can say is keep away fron IBB...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

koolkid wrote: »
    All I can say is keep away fron IBB...

Well IBB are crap I will agree but this doesnt seem to be an IBB problem as the connection works perfectly when accessed through a computer on the network. Its only when I try to use the internet on the computer that the modem is connected to that it goes haywire. Must be a software conflict of some description, but I can't figure it out for the life of me...

Advertisement