Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what diesel engine costs same as 1.4 petrol at pumps?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

what small diesel engine costs approx the same as 1.4 petrol when filling at the pumps at pumps? say a 1.4 corolla petrol, I do a lot of driving.....and wonder if a small diesal pulling a bigger body might cost the same as my thrifty saloon:D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

what small diesel engine costs approx the same as 1.4 petrol when filling at the pumps at pumps? say a 1.4 corolla petrol, I do a lot of driving.....and wonder if a small diesal pulling a bigger body might cost the same as my thrifty saloon:D

GMs 1.3ltr is nice and torquey and yet very very economic? Motorway driving averages about 3.8ltr/100km (according to the onboard computer). Its not that fond of steep hills though, I have to admit.....

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

I am currently stuck with a 1.4 diesal 06 corolla hatch while my mondeo is off the road with a knackered clutch. I do a lot of driving (Belfast, Cork and Wexford this week alone) and the on board computer says 45mpg but I really got 56mpg out of it when I filled it at the pumps. That was done with some very hard driving in places. It is dead off the blocks but once you get up to speed it is pretty ok for an overtake. Not so good into a hard corner as it feels like it understeers slightly.

I expected better mpg as I get 48mpg from my diesal 04 2Ltr Mondeo normally, in the same driving conditions. Drops to 44mpg when an injector is blocked. Saw the difference before and after a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

smccarrick wrote: »
    GMs 1.3ltr is nice and torquey and yet very very economic?
    S.

It's actually a Fiat unit, GM buy them from Fiat as with the 1.9 litre unit.

OP most of the current crop of small diesel engines will return almost better fuel economy than a 1.4 litre petrol engine.

My 1.6 TDCi Focus will return around 51mpg and a full tank of diesel will have a range of around 560miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's actually a Fiat unit, GM buy them from Fiat as with the 1.9 litre unit.

correct.

I had that engine in an Opel Combo.

U couldnt burn a tank of fuel. very economic

Advertisement