Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses (and taxis)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

You can report him to the Garda Trafficwatch line and/or the Taxi Regulator.I know, I know....but would it do any good? I think I would just be wasting my time, and the police have better things to be doing.The guy genuinely almost knocked me off, and did'nt care...kept 'wishing me a nice day' If it had been quieter I would have considered dragging him out of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭96blsh

A few years ago i had a run in with a bus in crewe cheshire. I must add that there are a handful of people who cycle there so the driver wasnt as prepared as db.

Bus overtook me on a very straight piece of road, was pretty flat and going on perious history I normal could get up a fair bit of speed. Bus came in too early as clipped me, end result was me being dragged under bus and out the back. (bus had more clearance than DB).. I dont remember much about it bar waking what people have told me...

luckly I only damaged my knee and my pride... 2 years on and i am back on my bike slowly regaining my fitness and confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I appreciate that a lot of associates on bikes may not agree, but if you come up behind a vehicle who is indicating left stay behind unless you are also going left. I also do not move until they have moved. Cars behind me also going left should wait. I think we are entitled to pull up to the front of the vehicle if they are not indicating. This way, everyone gets away fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

roadmanmad wrote: »
    I appreciate that a lot of associates on bikes may not agree, but if you come up behind a vehicle who is indicating left stay behind unless you are also going left. I also do not move until they have moved. Cars behind me also going left should wait. I think we are entitled to pull up to the front of the vehicle if they are not indicating. This way, everyone gets away fastest.

Agree half of t. If there is a cyle lane, the car driver should watch if there is a bicycle coming. This never ever happens though.

To get the driving license in The Netherlands, the examinator will actually watch if you examinee watch for a bicycle coming from behind before turning.

And that is what we are missing in Ireland, to incorporate the bicycle as an active and real subject in the transport system. As such , it should not be ignored in the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ryder wrote: »
    You can report him to the Garda Trafficwatch line and/or the Taxi Regulator.I know, I know....but would it do any good? I think I would just be wasting my time, and the police have better things to be doing.The guy genuinely almost knocked me off, and did'nt care...kept 'wishing me a nice day' If it had been quieter I would have considered dragging him out of the car
    Well the Gardai won't do anything unless you tell them. It is their job to enforce the law and punish offenders. If this driver executed a dangerous maneuver they there should be action.
    At least report it to TrafficWatch so that it is recorded against their reg plate. If someone else reports an incident it might get some response then.
    roadmanmad wrote:
    Actually I completely agree with this (and do it myself). This action is you the cyclist doing something to protect yourself without relying on the "should" actions of another road user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

gzoladz wrote: »
    Agree half of t. If there is a cyle lane, the car driver should watch if there is a bicycle coming. This never ever happens though.

To get the driving license in The Netherlands, the examinator will actually watch if you examinee watch for a bicycle coming from behind before turning.

And that is what we are missing in Ireland, to incorporate the bicycle as an active and real subject in the transport system. As such , it should not be ignored in the driving test.

You have to show that you've looked in your mirror for cyclists in the Irish driving test as well. I still wouldn't count on people actually doing this though. I don't trust people to actually signal left either. If there's one or two vehicles at the lights, I generally wait in the middle of the lane behind them (so that another car can't pull up next to me and then turn left on me). If there's a long queue that I want to overtake, then I'll pull in in front of the car in front, or to the right of him if it's a dedicated left turn lane.
    markpb wrote:
    There's no safer vehicle on the roads than a stationary one

The danger is when they stop being stationary ;)

Advertisement