Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A game trading shop

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ah here, this forum is specifically for discussing issues like these..I agree with you about the fact that it's a parenting issue, but it's unfair to question the op's motives for posting.

IMO of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

tbh wrote: »
    ah here, this forum is specifically for discussing issues like these..I agree with you about the fact that it's a parenting issue, but it's unfair to question the op's motives for posting.

IMO of course :)

Oh of course she should post here, I was merely wondering if she should leave the contacting of the shop bit to the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

well janey babe, what I do and why I do it ,is none of your business.
    This forum is to post things like this for discussion.

to quote what I said
    quote.
    the problem is the age.Hes to young to make an agreement with the shop.Also, not that it should matter really , the boy has ADHD, and impulsiveness.

it was brought up to show that a level of impulsiveness was involved.

Poster have indicated that the shop where not at wrong, which I accept.
    While I understand young people will do this, I think there should be some safeguards in place to prevent things like, young people selling on the goods without consent of an adult. They are my feelings on it.Perhaps not shared by the board but last time I looked , it is ok to think differently than others?
    thanks again for the replies.
    cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

cathy01 wrote: »

to quote what I said
    quote.
    the problem is the age.Hes to young to make an agreement with the shop.Also, not that it should matter really , the boy has ADHD, and impulsiveness.

While I understand young people will do this, I think there should be some safeguards in place to prevent things like, young people selling on the goods without consent of an adult. They are my feelings on it.Perhaps not shared by the board but last time I looked , it is ok to think differently than others?
    cathy

Wow. Snippy aren't we? The console was the childs property. He sold it. The shop is now done with the issue and the parents should teach him what a gift means. He is obviously spoiled...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Behave everyone. dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

cathy01 wrote: »

to quote what I said
    quote.

cathy

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I was merely adding to the discussion on this discussionboard. That's the last I have to say on the matter as you have received your answer in previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Just to explore the point regarding the child possibly being paid below the going rate for the trade in, why not get an adult to ring the shop and ask them what they pay for a second hand version of the console? Its a longshot and chances are there was nothing underhand about the transaction. Moreover because the sale would have registered and moeny taken from the till to pay for the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

hi guys,
    I used to work for electronics boutique back before they became game
    just to clear up a few things
    we always had the customer sign a list of everything they traded in,to say it was their property,maybe this procedure has slipped?
    anyway so much was traded in during the day that it would be impossible to check each one out (i.e to photo I.D the seller or,ring the folks to check it's ok with them etc)
    we only ever questioned age when it came to selling games to kids,
    i.e something violent like grand theft auto would require I.D
    we were never told to check the age of kids trading in stuff,AFAIK we weren't required to by any law at the time either
    every month we were sent a "trade in list" which was a fixed list of what something was worth and regardless of who the customer was,that was the deal they got

also keep in mind that when i worked in EB i was just gone 18, 15 year olds didn't seem like "kids" to me then,I had loads of friends a couple of years younger than me so the mental image that seems to have formed here of an adult exploiting a child could be very wide of the mark,the majority of our customers were lads from 15-20ish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

punchdrunk wrote: »
    also keep in mind that when i worked in EB i was just gone 18, 15 year olds didn't seem like "kids" to me then,I had loads of friends a couple of years younger than me so the mental image that seems to have formed here of an adult exploiting a child could be very wide of the mark,the majority of our customers were lads from 15-20ish

+ 1 I know the Game near me most of the staff look very young. There's not as huge a gap between a 15 year old and an 17/18 year old.

Its a catch 22 here cus for every parent that screams at people for allowing their child to sell a game you'll have another parent yelling at you if you refuse. I never worked in Game but I worked in Easons and had parents yell at me for selling magazines to their kids [the one I remember was the 15 year old who got cosmo and her mum dragging her back in and giving out stink to me for selling an "adult" magazine to her child] and had parents yell at me for not selling magazines [we were told not to sell some of the car mags to kids if they didn't have their parents with them and I had one mother go mad that she had to be dragged out of boots to come in and stand there while I rang the magazine up] Honestly you can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Ths thread is a joke. The shop in no way (to our knowledge anyway) took advantage of the "child". The console was his property. He can do whatever he likes with it. He obvously didnt want it and thought 70 was a good deal. His parents don't like it, too bad, nothing to do with the shop

When I was his age I was buying/selling/trading using the buy and sell, what stops him/scumbag who stole a truck full of DSes putting it for sale there? The trade in value is crap anyway so if he put it up there for 70 im sure itd get snapped up in a second. I've never been asked for a receipt or proof of purchase unless it still had warranty.

He's a teenager by the way, a young adult if you will, Junior cert in school maybe? Hes not a kid, or stupid. Hes probably saving for a PS3 or 360 I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I work in a game shop and everytime someone wants to trade in items for cash we have to have photo ID presented so that a) we know the person is over 18 yrs of age, and b) if the items are stolen we have that person's details and they can be given to the Gardai.
    I don't think the shop is at fault here, but there trade in policy is a bit dodgy to give cash out to anyone.

At least the OP's friend will have learned a lesson from this and won't see it happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

As others have said here, shops want a profit, mostly they don't care if you have ADHD, two heads or whatever they'll buy the items for a low price.
    A 15 yro kid could've stole it that's up to the shop to decide whether they want to risk it or not, chances are the item was sold fairly fast anyway so they took a gamble and took the item.

Granted he is a young lad and an ungrateful little git, but thats just the way things are, you could try naming and shaming the shop but it will probably happen somewhere else.

I.D should be asked for just as a guarantee if nothing else
    IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

does it not boil down to knowing where your children are and what they are getting up to?

parents are often surprised to find their chiildren have done things which appear to be totally out of character and try to blame others as they have been too busy to notice their son/daughter getting caught up in trouble or hangin around with the wrong peer group etc

Advertisement