Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth it?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I have a budget of about €1200 and am looking for a gaming pc to last me the next few years.

I'm torn between building a new pc myself or buying from the likes of Dell.

Is there really much of a saving from a self-build?
    Are there any real advantages to building yourself?
    If it is worthwhile where is the best place to buy from? I used to use komplett but hear they arent what they used to be pricewise.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gloopy

I'm on the verge of doing my first ever self build too, after owning this Dell for a few years...

Others with more experience of self-building will be able to answer you better, but from my point of view, I want to know EXACTLY what components go into my system, not just the select few that Dell tell you about.

I also want to be able to upgrade my system whenever I want, and take the satisfaction that comes from building yourself.

As for Komplett, I find them to be very expensive. But a lot of people reckon their service is well worth it. Dabs have better prices and a larger range it seems, but I've heard a few negative comments re their service.

I'm still shopping around for best value, with companies I have heard good things about. HardwareVersand for example, have possibly the lowest prices I've seen, but you have to pay by bank transfer (they're German).

I reckon I'll get a few bits and bobs from Elara. They seem to be a few euro more expensive on most components, and don't have a huge range in certain areas, but you can collect your stuff directly from them, and thus save on delivery :)

Anyway, lots of links to stores, both highstreet and online, can be found here, although it could really do with an updating... Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Dell are not that bad, and alot of the time have great value pc's...

I havent seen any good deals from them for a while in terms of gaming pc's (they had a nice xps with Q6600,8800gt a while back for €780 though)

Komplett are good, but are a little expensive, as are elera....

Hardwareversand are the best imo, you can pick out all the parts yourself at much cheaper rates than all the popular ones like komplett,dabs,overclockers,scan etc and they will build the pc for you for €19.99

You could build a class system for €1000

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/3/pcconfigurator.jsp?pcConfigurator.gpOnly=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gloopy

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Dell are not that bad, and alot of the time have great value pc's...

I havent seen any good deals from them for a while in terms of gaming pc's (they had a nice xps with Q6600,8800gt a while back for €780 though)

Komplett are good, but are a little expensive, as are elera....

Hardwareversand are the best imo, you can pick out all the parts yourself at much cheaper rates than all the popular ones like komplett,dabs,overclockers,scan etc and they will build the pc for you for €19.99

You could build a class system for €1000

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/3/pcconfigurator.jsp?pcConfigurator.gpOnly=0

Unfortunately, your choices are limited when going with the HV configurator - you can't pick from all matching components on the site, just the ones they choose, which is a bit of a shame in my opinion.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

A shuttle is a nice easy build and very reasonably priced at the minute..

Shuttle XPC SP35P2 Pro
    380 euro

4gig of Mushkin Ram 100 euro

8800gts 512mb 248 euro

Hitachi Deskstar T7k500 94 euro

Pioneer DVD/RW 32 euro

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 190 euro

All that comes to 1050 euro + 40 shipping, its the P35 chipset so its very upgradeable and can take a 45nm chip, And it has 3 3.5" bays so you can add another 2 hard drives...

Advertisement