Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rathdown Motors Confusing Consumers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

AudiChris wrote: »
    That was for the sake of the discussion you started! I won't bother next time.

Good, as I don't think there is a need for you to point out which tangent posters should't vere off in. How arogant.
    Used cars are potentially affected by a change in price dependent on the change in new car price. This is up for debate at the moment, noone knows how the market will react.

You missing the point again. What's wrong with you. Three posters, including myself, have maded it clear that the new Co2 emissions based tax system it is NOT just about VRT! (allthough even if it was they still fail to point out that importing used cars WILL be effected by the new tax rates without promoting the process).
    It's definitely not something a franchised dealer would try and hammer out on their website.

Oh they will when it suits them -- ie, a car they are selling has the tax up at the end of July -- then they will point out if the Co2 is 119 and the car tax is only 100 Euro. Of course they will. Did you miss where I pointed out that in the UK for the past year or more car tax rates are advertised now along with the car price as it's now such a big issue.
    How will the new car tax system affect the used car you buy? Again, we're speculating as to how the market will react to the two tax rates...

Speculating? Tell that to my best mate who has an Alfa 166 2.0 -- yes, just a 2.0 and his car tax is going for 540 euros to 2000 euros in September when his tax is up.

Now you see my point? Making it look as though the new emissions based car tax rates DON'T effect used cars when they clearing DO is really going furstrate buyers when their car tax comes up for renewal after July.
    Again, how so? It's incredibly easy for the customer to find out what the pre and post-July tax rates will be for any given car. I would be surprised if dealers weren't sharing this information freely!

Freely? Are you looking at the same ad that the rest of us are? It clearly implies that used cars are NOT effected by the new emissions based car tax rates!

You say it's 'incredibly easy' for people to check what their car tax will be when it's up for renewel and my point is that it may well be 'incredibly easy' but ads like one we are talking about make it look as if used car owners don't need to worry about it as 'used cars' are, apparently, not effected.

I think it's a better strategy than trying to sweep the information under the carpet.

That may well be and it's not the point that I was making to begin with about confusing used car owners about their cars not being effected but I do believe that someone being sold an used 2.0 Alfa 166 today where the dealer knows the tax is up at the end of July and will cost 2000, will most likely not be told so.

I'm not talking about Rathdown here as that is a seperate issue but in General dealers, which I understand by the way, will only bring up tax rates if they are a plus for buying the car. Like the new Audi A3 1.9tdi's tax will only be 100 for instance.

Anyway, that's another topic I was just pointing out that Used Cars ARE effected buy the Co2 tax rates (both VRT if importing & simple road tax) and some places online were confusing customers by suggesting (intentionaly of otherwise) that only new cars were effected by by both taxes which is just simply not true -- on both counts.

Personally I don't get your point and I think that you're nit-picking.

Nit-picking? It's clear that they point out used cars will not be effected - that's at least 80% of drivers in Ireland. If you think that's nit-picking well then good on you.

I don't see this information as misleading.

Its not misleading at all. I'm just imagining it.
    I don't see how you're confused.

Confused? Coming from someone who wonders how the new Co2 rates could possibly mean someone with a 2.0 might have to pay road tax of 2000 come July - well then I don't think I'm the one confused.

Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Nico22 wrote: »
    ***Uninformed Rubbish

Nico

I didn't bother to read all of your rant. Only got so far until I realised you have no idea what you are talking about and therefore have no grounds for an argument.

Your mate with the 166 2.0 is currently paying €539 per year. When his tax expires in July and he goes to renew it he will be paying €590 - NOT €2000

Also, you left out the line...

To enquire how the above will affect your vehicle of interest please contact our sales executives on 01 490 0000 or alternatively e-mail us at info@rathdownmotors.ie.

...directly below the bit you copied and pasted. I'd be more interested to hear what their phone explanation of the webpage is rather than our interpretations of it.

Maybe it was a little misleading of you to leave that out of your original post??

Next time I'll post their whole website will I?

Look if someone has a website saying hash is bad for you if your over the age of 29 but won't effect you if your younger than that and then say's at the bottom of the page:

"To enquire how the above will affect your brain and lungs of interest please contact our sales executives on 01 *** 0000 or alternatively e-mail us at nonsense@bullcraplawns.com"

.. then does that make their statements correct? just because they have asked to be contacted for more info?

No it doesn't and if they made it clear like this:

Importing NEW and USED cars will be based on the same new Co2 based tax rates come July.

.. and that:

The new Co2 based road tax rates will also be the SAME for both NEW and USED cars.

.. well then they wouldn't be a need to say contact us if your none the wiser about a specific car as you wouldn't be -- you'd be crystal clear on the issue.

I have just summed up the whole issue in two lines and the couldn't do it with a whole website.

Nico

Stekelly wrote: »
    How will it affect you? Any used car bought in Ireland is already registered here so the co2 based doesnt come into it.

It does when it comes to road tax. VRT is NOT the only was the Co2 based car tax rates are effected.

Look go back to ad and re-read it. Yes, I am saying that it implies that importing used cars will not be effected by the new Co2 emissions -- but it also implies that used cars will NOT be effected even from the new Co2 emissions based road tax rates.

Is there really only three people on this post that can see that? This is my last post on this matter - I have had enough of people saying the same thing over and over.

The new Co2 emissions based tax rates (both VRT and road tax) effect NEW & USED cars and if people cannot see that that ad suggested otherwise well then I couldn't be bothered trying to explain it to them.

Just go and check out how much it will cost you to get your car taxed after July if your driving a Alfa 166 2.0 or any other car that produces a similar Co2 emission.

Nico

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

R.O.R wrote: »
    I didn't bother to read all of your rant. Only got so far until I realised you have no idea what you are talking about and therefore have no grounds for an argument.
    +1
    Nico - please go and inform yourself about how the new tax will work and please discontinue this rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just go and check out how much it will cost you to get your car taxed after July if your driving a Alfa 166 2.0 or any other car that produces a similar Co2 emission.

As already pointed out to you - if it's registered before july it'll cost €590

stevec wrote: »
    +1
    Nico - please go and inform yourself about how the new tax will work and please discontinue this rubbish.
    I didn't bother to read all of your rant.

Maybe you should have. You might then realize that I know exaclty what I am talking about.
    Your mate with the 166 2.0 is currently paying €539 per year. When his tax expires in July and he goes to renew it he will be paying €590 - NOT €2000

Wrong! His alfa produces a Co2 score of 230 g/km which makes his car tax €2000 in September.

2293945560_dc2e1d1dc3_o.png

This is exactly what I am talking about. People just spouting on about this issue when they really do not understand the facts.

Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Wrong! His alfa produces a Co2 score of 230 g/km which makes his car tax €2000 in September.

This is exactly what I am talking about. People just spouting on about this issue when they really do not understand the facts.

Nico

If his Alfa is already registered in Ireland his tax will be €590 in September. CO2 based motor tax only affects cars bought in or imported into Ireland after June.

From citizensinformation.ie:
    For new cars and pre-owned imports registered from 1 July 2008, motor tax charges will be determined on the basis of seven CO2 bands. Charges will range from 100 euro a year for the greenest cars to 2,000 euro for cars with the highest emissions ratings.

Try reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Classic! All that ranting and he's got his knickers in a twist over something that he totally misunderstands!!

If his Alfa is already registered in Ireland his tax will be €590 in September. CO2 based motor tax only affects cars bought in or imported into Ireland after June.

From citizensinformation.ie:
    For new cars and pre-owned imports registered from 1 July 2008, motor tax charges will be determined on the basis of seven CO2 bands. Charges will range from 100 euro a year for the greenest cars to 2,000 euro for cars with the highest emissions ratings.

Well if new Co2 emissions based road tax rates do not effect cars registered here before July then I apologise.

Does this then mean that road tax is not going up for large jeeps etc? (if registered before July? and that if you have a 1.0L Yaris your road tax won't go down either?

Sorry again if I got it wrong. I'll actually be happy as I have Audi A3 1.6 Auto and it's tax was going to be over €1000.

Nico

• Advertisement

Classic! All that ranting and he's got his knickers in a twist over something that he totally misunderstands!!

Yup, sorry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Does this then mean that road tax is not going up for large jeeps etc? (if registered before July? and that if you have a 1.0L Yaris your road tax won't go down either?

I could hear the Penny (or is it cent now?) drop even up here
    :D

Glad you got the picture now!!

all pre july tax rates are going up by the usual 10% or whatever it is - nothing will go down.

stevec wrote: »
    Glad you got the picture now!!

all pre july tax rates are going up by the usual 10% or whatever it is - nothing will go down.

Thats crazy. So you dont think they will ever include pre July 2008 registered cars in Co2 based road tax rates? Man you would be fuming if you just bought a 1.9Tdi Audi A3 that will have road tax at 100 Euro if registered after July but you registered in Jan or Feb or whatever and your road tax is 590 and will go up by 10% a year -- thats crazy -- for such a low emissions car.

Seriousily I came so close importing a new A3 a few months back. I would be going nuts now knowing that I should have waited untill July to get the new 100 euro road tax plus the 14% VRT rate.

Sorry again for getting things so twisted. I blame Bertie though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

There's a sneaking suspicion among quite a few of us that there will be an ability for drivers to opt-in to the new road tax system further down the line, as the opposition are scoring easy points on the government over how this new arrangement punishes drivers who bought green cars prior to the budget announcement (i.e. those who are acutally green drivers rather than those looking for cheaper motoring).

How and when this retrospective taxation system could be implemented is up for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

People just spouting on about this issue when they really do not understand the facts.

Nico

I googled irony and it gave me this quote :D

I'd say it will be a long time before any sort of CO2 based Road Tax will be implemented to pre July 08 cars.

How many cars are on the road today? And how many of them would be negatively affected by the new CO2 tax rates? Obviously I don't have any figures but I would imagine it is a crazy number, there must be a fair warning given to all those who would be affected negatively to give them the option to change to a 'greener' car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Well credit for being a big enough man to admit you screwed up!

Turns out my ears hadn't deceived me as much as you guys had thought.

My mate with the Alfa 166 that heard this interview (Monday Galway Bay Fm?) with the Green Party TD that had him phoning me with worse ranting that I could ever manage and said that the TD was adamant that all used cars would have their road tax based on Co2 emissions.

He missed the start of the interview so he must have said then that it was only 226g and over and that the rest of the cars would be phased in but I get the impression the Greens have been working away at this behind the scenes as they knew that it was going to be a crazy situation that if say after July you went and bought an 04 Audi A3 1.9Tdi you'd be charged 590 Euros road tax but if you popped across the border and bought the same 04 Audi you'd only be charged 100 euro for tax!

Madness and I think they knew it and now they are just trying to avoid as much egg on their face as they can.

Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Turns out my ears hadn't deceived me as much as you guys had thought. ...

...Madness and I think they knew it and now they are just trying to avoid as much egg on their face as they can.

Nico

Again, let's make sure we fully understand this before we blow our lids!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Exactly - glad someone seen where I was coming from :)

The ABC thing is correct from the point of view of the garage selling new/used cars...until the latest decisions of course which change things again..lol!

...imports different alright

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    The ABC thing is correct from the point of view of the garage selling new/used cars...until the latest decisions of course which change things again..lol!

...imports different alright

God bless Ireland - the only country in the world where one minute I look (and feel) like Homer Simpson and the next I'm bleedin' Nostradamus :)

Nico

Advertisement