Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family-Friendly areas-Dublin

Options
  • 23-02-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Can you give some insight on areas in the North Dublin and South Dublin areas that are family-friendly and safe?

Petty crime happens, but would like to say out of areas with more violent crimes(home invasions, known gang activity)

Any areas to avoid(low-income housing, run-down, etc).

Where can I look for school information?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You are asking an impossible question. Serious crime can take place in any area. Clontarf which is a fantastic area imo has had a number of shootings so would you disregard this area even though it's great?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 atwoodclan

Not trying to ask an impossible question.

Just looking for areas that are more popular with people with kids.

I am familiar with some of the South Dublin areas, but not so much with the North Dublin areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All areas have their plusses and minusses.
    As said before, Clontarf is quite nice - near town, parkland, transport links, by the sea and has a number of schools - similarly Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

With regards to affordable housing most builders have to supply a percentage of their build to these projects now,so new build is out. As was said,no where is 100% safe,but you can reduce the odds by buying in an area where the prices are out of the range of your everage joe,but even then yobbo's travel,or alternativly,you could buy in a gated community,there are several around the city,actually there is one within spitting distance of mountjoy,I don't know how safe it is though. I understand what you are asking though,my suggestion is that you look in private versus public estates that are a few years old. In saying that I have lived in drumcondra,actually right beside a home for wayward boys:rolleyes: and never had any trouble. I also lived in seatown park in swords,which would be a mixed working class private estate,and it was as peacefull as could be. A house in the estate was let out to travellers and there the peace ended,so every where has it's risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The OP has opened a can or worms! :D

Did you not read the worst areas in Dublin thread to get an idea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 atwoodclan

Sorry, didn't know there was such a thread.

Off to look now.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

:rolleyes:

google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dublin 8 is a rather nice place (depending where I suppose) if you plan on forking out a bit.
    Two primary schools and three secondary schools all within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Dublin 8 is a rather nice place (depending where I suppose) if you plan on forking out a bit.
    Two primary schools and three secondary schools all within walking distance.

some parts of dublin 8 are nice (i used to live there and loved it), but i wouldn't want to live in dolphin's barn with a young family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Are you buying or renting? Your budget will dictate I guess.

I would suggest Malahide, Howth, Portmarnock, Raheny, Clontarf or Sutton. They are the classic Northside Dublin Seaside suburbs with schools, parks, beaches, seafront promenades, restaurants and local shops. Raheny and Clontarf have the advantage of being close to town, they are all have good public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

atwoodclan wrote: »
    Petty crime happens, but would like to say out of areas with more violent crimes(home invasions, known gang activity)
    Unless you are involved in crime and/or drugs yourself, you are relatively safe from these.

Just watch out for family members, infamous for violence and murder.

Advertisement