Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clueless re. Interview Clobber...

• 23-02-2008 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

So I have an interview for my dream job next week! I probably have zero chance of getting it but I want to go in there and give it 100% none the less.

I have a new black trouser suit which I bought in next - not too expensive as I wouldn't have to wear a suit normally. I got a light-blue shirt which is nicely fitted (but not too tight) and isn't too thin/see-through etc.

I NEVER wear a suit (while the industry is "professional" it doesn't involve working with the public) so I'm a little unsure about a few things (I'm a girl by the way).

Firstly - jacket button opened or closed? It is a one-button jacket. I have to give a presentation so I will be standing up for that.

Secondly - should the collar of the shirt sit inside the jacket collar or over it. I have tried it both ways and it just doesn't seem to look right. It looks a bit unnatural forcing the shirt collar over the jacket.

Thirdly - I'm quite tall and even though I got the trousers in a long leg I still could not afford to wear heels with them. The lowest shoes I could find that aren't totally flat are ballerinas with "peg" heels also from next. Damn comfy they are too! The problem is I have a bit of "toe cleavage" which I think looks weird. Do you think these would be acceptable? I will probably wear flesh-coloured pop socks (ew - I know!) or I will have blue feet by the time I get there!

Apologies for the dumb questions but I want to feel confident about what I'm wearing so that I can concentrate on impressing them with my knowledge/skills etc. - instead of worrying about my collar! I would appreciate advice from any suit-wearing ladies out there!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

I would leave the jacket closed while you are giving the presentation. You can always open the button when you're sitting down.

Are the shoes black? If they are you could wear black socks with them and that would solve the freezing feet and toe cleavage problems.

For my last interview I wore a grey suit I couldn't find a shirt that I was comfortable with and that I felt really went with the outfit. So I ended up wearing a brown cami under the suit jacket and it looked really well and more importantly I was comfortable with what I was wearing. You could try something like that just don't go for a mad colour like cerise pink maybe a cream or light pink?

If you're comfortable you will be confident which really shines through!

Oh and I got the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Open the jacket button when sitting down. If you have to move your arms during the presentation, then open the button as well. Suits become second nature the more often you wear them. You can always take off the jacket for the presentation.

Leave the shirt collar lie inside the jacket collar. You're right when you say that it will lie funny if forced over the jacket collar.

I'd go with the nude pop-socks (or knee highs if the pants rises up when you sit down) with the shoes. That's quite acceptable. Woolen socks just look wrong with women's suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

Yes the shoes are black so I will try them on with black socks - I think I have a pair of those thin "trouser socks" from dunnes buried somewhere.

I would much rather wear something other than a shirt under the jacket as I really hate shirts - I like to wear comfy, stretchy tops normally. I will have a look in the wardrobe and see if I have anything suitable - I suppose I just really want to play it safe with this interview!

Congrats on the new job by the way - and thanks for the advice! I'm so uncomfortable in suits, they're just not "me". But to be honest I'd walk around Dublin in a bikini if there was a chance of me getting this job (though the people of Dublin might not thank me for it!)! :D

Go with what's comfortable. Plus the interviewers will more than likely see many candidates wearing similar outfits i.e. black suit, white/light coloured shirt.

Practice giving the presentation in the suit you'll get a feel for how much movement you are likely to have. You don't want to give the presentation and come across as awkward because you are not used to wearing a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

maybe try wearing a polo neck under the suit in a nice vibrant colour to bring a bit individuality to your ensemble.
    i would have to disagree with the socks and the open toe shoe. Seeing toes with socks over them are as bad as seeing a man with sandles and white socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Wear a shirt with the suit. Full stop. It's a formal interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

boring, boring, boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

Electric wrote: »
    Practice giving the presentation in the suit you'll get a feel for how much movement you are likely to have. You don't want to give the presentation and come across as awkward because you are not used to wearing a suit.

That's a good idea Electric, I will put on the suit tomorrow and practise a few run-throughs of the presentation - so far any practise runs I have done have been sitting at the computer.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I've had a look and I don't think I have anything suitable for wearing under the suit other than the shirt anyway so I reckon I will be going with that. It is a boring outfit I'll grant you, but I really don't want them to have any lasting impressions of what I looked like other than "professional and neat". I want them to listen to what I'm saying rather than be distracted by any shiny jewellery or cleavage (and not of the toe-variety!). Besides, the job I'm applying for doesn't require me to be a major extrovert or anything - just to get along with my co-workers etc. Basically I'm a science geek!

Everybody keep their fingers crossed that I get the job and this will be the last time I'll have to wear a suit for a long time!

Good luck with the interview! Fingers crossed you get the job!

Advertisement