Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why is it so hard to buy a used car??

Options
  • 23-02-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Why is it so hard to try and buy a car. Have been looking for a car for over a month wthout much success. Am looking for private sale, but some sellers are asking for way over the odds. Does everyone have this probleam to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Why is it so hard to try and buy a car. Have been looking for a car for over a month wthout much success. Am looking for private sale, but some sellers are asking for way over the odds. Does everyone have this probleam to.

Look at the cheapest 5 of the year and model you're looking for. If nothing takes your fancy, bide your time and something will come up.

Or better again: import a car from the UK. Time it right and you could turn it into a weekend away.

Or try auctions. They're on fairly regularly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

what car you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Am looking at between 1.3 and 1.4. Prefer Japanese. Must be Nct for at least 12 months. No more than 8 years old, but would go for older car if I thought car was in good condition. Prob spent 6k at most. Have seen couple I like, but price wasnt worth it. A Mitsubshi carisma, but seller was asking for to much. Am still waiting to see if he will com down on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know judging by all the used cars out there for sale at the moment it appears to be a buyer's market.

Just have a bit of patients, if your prepared to wait then the right car will come along. I did this and the right car did come along eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Are you joking? There are 3 private sale 1.4 Honda Civics, all 2001, on Carzone between €4,800 and €6k. Or a couple of Mazda 323's (2002), private sale and sub €6k. Or your pick of no less than 16 Toyotas (2 Versio, rest Corolla), all 2001, all sub €6k. Include dealers (why does it have to be private?) and your choice increases by a factor of 4 or more.

With the glut of cars out there at the minute if you can't find what you want you must have quite unrealistic expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

So have you taken all this cars ou for test drive and had a meachanic check them out????.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

TBH from the sounds of things you're being too tight budget wise. You're probably expecting something for nothing

It's a buyers market, but you're probably taking this too literly. People aren't going to give away their carss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

So have you taken all this cars ou for test drive and had a meachanic check them out????.

Errr, no, I'm not buying the car so why should I?

You wanted a Japanese car, 1.3/1.4, younger than 2000, private sale and less than 10k. A couple of minutes on Carzone and I found 21 cars that match those criteria. It is very improbable that all 21 are mecanical turkeys.

Your question was "Why is it hard to buy a second hand car". I think the answer is "It's not if you are realsitic in your expectations". No 6 or 7 year old car will look showroom fresh, be realistic about what you'll get and there is a car out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Perhaps a topic "Why is it so hard to find a decent buyer" should be made.

Points could included :

They want my car for nothing.
    They complain that others have just been serviced : they want it done (for free) before buying.
    Promise me they will call to view but never do.
    Sorry I went up a kerb on test drive and buckled your alloy wheel - no my insurance wont cover that.
    OMG my "friends" on teh intraweb say its not a good deal , I want to pull out of it and get my deposit back. (see numerous boards threads on deposits)

Did I mention this :
    They want my car for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

well said churchy people expect way too much nowadays - next thing they will insist on seller including a years free tax on the car as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement