Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mai Thai closed????

• 23-02-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭

Anyone know why mai thai on the quay are closed???are they moving or opening again soon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

They didn't look to be doing too well during the summer.

It's a shame, I enjoyed their food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭henboy9

hey there anyone try the lemon grass yet looks nice from the outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Lemongrass is now Lime Leaf, I like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

henboy9 wrote: »
    hey there anyone try the lemon grass yet looks nice from the outside

i've been there once and have to say the food was lovely, not too highly priced and the service good,would recommend it

thanks rohe must give it a try let ye know how i get on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Just passing by La Palma to-day.
    I thing thaere is a new Thai restaurant opening up beside it fairly soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

In 2005 a Thai woman (who shall remain nameless), needed money to help open a restaurant in Waterford. She had to do this because of problems she had with her so-called ex husband and his family in England, hence why she left England (so she claimed) in the first place (she is a British citizen, by naturalisation). In order to get the money needed, she invited a British born HK Chinese man (who shall also remain nameless), to go halves with her. The man was known to her in England, since he (quite ironically), sold his Chinese restaurant to her back in 2000. So, in 2005 the Chinese man came over to Ireland and agreed to the 50/50 business proposal.

For the next two years, the Thai woman would do as little work as possible. She might peel the odd vegetable, talk to customers and give out freebies wherever possible, wasting money left, right and centre. For this to happen, of course, the Thai woman would have to be present. Thing is, rarely was she present. She'd go to England or Thailand for months on end. Coming back only to take some money - including wages even though she was not present and working, or to bring back another family member as a "staff member" (one of whom was given the duty of taking care of all the money in the Thai woman's absence - even though the Chinese man was always present and, as 50% owner, he should have been doing this himself - only he wasn't allowed).

While the Thai woman was leading a life of luxury, creaming money wherever possible, the Chinese man was left to single-handedly manage the place, from top to bottom, 7 days a week. He worked solidly, even though he suffers from ever worsening diabetes, which requires regular insulin injections. But of course, the Thai woman didn't care. As long as she took all the time off she could, and the Chinese man was left as her work horse, she was happy.

So, the situation deteriorated and the Chinese man got weaker and weaker. Staff left. Work permit renewals for non-EEA nationals dragged their feet. The place got more into a shambles daily. I told the Chinese man every day that he's clearly being taken advantage of, that this woman is bleeding him dry. I begged him to stand up for himself, and for his business. Why did he work like a dog while she lived a free, rich lifestyle? Some believe that the Thai woman engaged in a type of hypnosis (I'm trying to avoid the term "black magic") to control the Chinese man and make him act against his will. What happened next?

The Chinese man flew in October 2007 to England to visit his dying mother (someone whom I personally respect dearly, and shall do so forever more). After the tragic loss of the Chinese man's mother and after the funeral, he flew back to Waterford.

Upon his return, the Chinese man discovered that the Mediterranean "concession" restaurant downstairs, taken on by a personal friend of his (and mine) from England, was closed. The friend was gone. The Thai woman evicted the friend on the first day the Chinese man flew to England to visit his mother.

Before long (by November 2007), the Thai woman presented the Chinese man with an unbelievable proposal - that he stay upstairs in the living quarters (built, incidentally, above the restaurant by the Chinese man himself), and does not enter the restaurant or kitchen for a period of 2 years. Not only a remarkably bizarre proposal - it made absolutely no sense.

In a mind-boggling twist, the Chinese man refused to accept this proposal, but instead agreed to sign over his 50% stake in the restaurant to the Thai woman in full, without any money changing hands. The Chinese man then flew back to England empty handed, with no business and no money, and was left with no reason to ever return to Ireland.

Why is Mai Thai now closed? The Christmas period is naturally the busiest for such a restaurant. If your business partner signs his half over to you, you can cream off a large sum of the cash taken, and pocket it without sharing. By January when the trade is quiet, you can shut up shop with a tidy wad of cash in your pocket.

That said, it is understood that the Thai woman is to re-open Mai Thai with a new business partner, another Thai woman this time who is coming to Ireland from Guernsey. However, neither of them have been seen in 2008. Perhaps there's still some Christmas takings left to spend first.

Still, now you know what happened to Mai Thai.

BENIFA -thats far out still reckon the chinese man should of stayed upstairs could of done a HOWARD HUGHES on it

Advertisement