Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2003 Audi TT

Options
  • 23-02-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hey!

I want to trade my car in and get an Audi TT. I've seen a few, but I think I have my mind set on a 2003 Audi TT, 44,000 miles. It's priced at just under 28k. Is this good value? It seems the cheapest (from a dealer anyway) that I can find.

My main concern is the t belt- at 44,000 miles I think a t belt will be due at 60,000. I have no idea how much it costs to get one done!!?

I'm attracted to this car purely for its looks, so have no idea if it's even a good car, and apart from that I won't pretend to know the first thing about cars, so I don't really want to get ripped off! :confused:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've had 2, and would be another in a heartbeat. Fabulous cars.

But, yep, timing belt and water pump needs changing at 55k-60k. Haldex unit need servicing at 40k - I bet you anything the dealer's one isn't done. Come to think of it, I bet the dealer doesn't even know what a Haldex unit is..........

Make sure the car has ALL 3 recalls done. Make sure the dashpod (clocks) have been changed too. The TT is beautiful, but is not faultless, in fact, it's pretty......unreliable. I'd still buy it, though. However, my 0.02 is that a newer car, being the exact same as an older one........isn't worth it. You could buy a 99/00 for 20k, and it'll be just as good.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wanda

Wow! Thanks! So the Haldex unit- what's that? I'd like to sound like I half know what I'm talking about! :)

And why do the dashpod (clocks) need to have been changed?

By the way, nice Porsche! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Haldex unit is the bit that makes it "quattro"

Okay great thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,085 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats assuming wanda is looking at a quattro?

• Advertisement

Yep Cyrus, am looking at the Quattro.:)

Does anyone have an estimate cost for changing t belt and water pump?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They are all Quattro (4wd) no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Which one are you looking at the 180 or 225bhp model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanpaul

Hi Wanda,

sent you a private message about sourcing and potential Audi problems.

Regards

They are all Quattro (4wd) no?

nope iirc the 180 is available as fwd also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

"I'm attracted to this car purely for its looks, so have no idea if it's even a good car"

Does this not bother anybody else - or do we all buy our cars based purely on looks ? I know I go for looks too but have to balance this with reputation/informed opinion/ etc.

Not having a go at the OPs choice of car but just the rational...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

Hi Wanda,

I just had timing belt and water pump changed on 04 TT Roadster, it cost €1100 for that including full service, brake pads and few bits and pieces.

Think they quoted something like 750 for the T-Belt and Pump on its own. This was a main Audi dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Cyrus wrote: »
    nope iirc the 180 is available as fwd also

I think it was only 150bhp on the 2 wheel drive model. Wasn't brought in for stock by any dealers, only special order. Have an auto version on site at the moment (150bhp) and it's not so bad to drive.
    cbyrne wrote: »

Think they quoted something like 750 for the T-Belt and Pump on its own. This was a main Audi dealer.

I'd say a decent independant will do it for a lot cheaper. The timing belt kit and water pump aren't too expensive to buy (price them in your local motor factors). I had the timing belt, water pump, clutch, service and a few other bits replaced by my friendly local mechanic on my Octavia (same engine) for around €1100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

shanel23 wrote: »
    "I'm attracted to this car purely for its looks, so have no idea if it's even a good car"

Does this not bother anybody else - or do we all buy our cars based purely on looks ? I know I go for looks too but have to balance this with reputation/informed opinion/ etc.

Some people are into cars and obsess about how they drive, the mechanics, etc.

Others aren't and buy on different criteria. If you want an appliance (get you from A to B reliably) you buy a Corolla. You want to make a style or lifestyle statement then you buy something like a TT.

It's like buying a Dunnes Stores or A Ralf Lauren jumper - different reasons for different people. If we all bought for teh same reasons we'd have one car manufacturer making one model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Cyrus wrote: »

My bad.
    Would be pretty rare on Irish Roads unless imported.

Some people are into cars and obsess about how they drive, the mechanics, etc.

Others aren't and buy on different criteria. If you want an appliance (get you from A to B reliably) you buy a Corolla. You want to make a style or lifestyle statement then you buy something like a TT.

It's like buying a Dunnes Stores or A Ralf Lauren jumper - different reasons for different people. If we all bought for teh same reasons we'd have one car manufacturer making one model.

Totally agree that each to their own in terms of reasons for choice - just me I guess - could'nt contemplate getting a car purely on looks without knowing or understanding the pedigree of it.

Guess I'll never be one of those who reply to the question " what car do you drive ? " and reply " a red one " - Thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

shanel23 wrote: »

I would hazard a guess (based on how they're driven) that 90% of TTs are bought purely for how they look. It seems ridiculous to me too, but it's their money and if it makes them happy...:)

Anan1 wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess (based on how they're driven) that 90% of TTs are bought purely for how they look. It seems ridiculous to me too, but it's their money and if it makes them happy...:)

I'd say closer to 99% :rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Wanda wrote: »
    Hey!

I want to trade my car in and get an Audi TT. I've seen a few, but I think I have my mind set on a 2003 Audi TT, 44,000 miles. It's priced at just under 28k. Is this good value? It seems the cheapest (from a dealer anyway) that I can find.

My main concern is the t belt- at 44,000 miles I think a t belt will be due at 60,000. I have no idea how much it costs to get one done!!?

I'm attracted to this car purely for its looks, so have no idea if it's even a good car, and apart from that I won't pretend to know the first thing about cars, so I don't really want to get ripped off! :confused:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks! :)
    I have just bought a '03 TT in the north today for the equivelent of approx €18500 so i would say keep looking. Worringly, they told me in the garage that the timing belt on these cars is 75,000-85,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

Import one and do it before July (new Motor Tax rules).

If you import from UK you get it a) cheaper b) high spec and c) very often better looked after car with more motor way miles and less pot holes and chips.

I imported one in the last few months and I'm still loving it every time I drive it.

Apart from that, it's OK to like how it looks but rest assured it's a fantastic drive and while you hear of people who have problems there is no evidence that it's particularly troublesome.

Other items to consider ...
    Co2 emmisions are high but if you buy second hand or import before July it won't matter (to you wallet) now or ever in the future.

After July it changes the Co2 Emit. for my vintage is in the top band so would cost e2000 PA to tax if you import after July. (Today - and in the future - it’s taxed as a 1.8 litre !!) Later models the co2 drops a little but probably still in top or second top band (perhaps you have to go as far as a MK2 (06?) for it do drop to even second highest tax band. - Not actually sure).

Most in the UK (from my experience) are 225bhp (twin turbo) many here are lower spec (180 FFD no extra’s - to reduce cost for Irish market). You do get some FFD here I think but less common in the UK. In the UK your also more likely to get a cd-changer, 18inch alloys, bose sound system and climate control (cc is less common here then ac I think).

The advice I got and settled on, and I think it's worth repeating, is aim at a 180 (single turbo) quattro. The tax and insurance *and* cost of the 180 is generally less - there is also some evidence that the 180 is less troublesome then the 225 (since it's a single turbo rather then a twin turbo). (Both are 1.8l for the vintage/price I was looking at).

I am not sure if they are all 6 speed (I think some are 5) but the 6 speed 180 quattro (mine) has got buckets of pull and a fantastic drive all the way up the gears. The 225 I'm sure (I only test drove one a little bit) is even more powerfull but to my mind the 180 is more then sufficient for a fun, engaging sporty “leave ’em at the lights” drive. (i.e. I don't regret my choice)

The quattro gives you tremendous confidence and control when cornering, it's a fantastic feeling. Ultimately it's going to be safer. There is the issue with having the haldex unit needing special attention but such is life. The haldex unit is the thing that delivers power (drive) from the rear wheels to the front wheels (?or vice versa). I’m told I need to get mine done by the dealer (But they would say that) but I’ve not got quoted (and I wont’ use a dealer if I can avoid it).

I’ve had an Audi service done (as soon as I got it) and will continue to get audi service but will get other works done else where (suspension, tires breaks etc).

Common advice I’ve seen is get the t-belt (and friends - water pump etc) done at 70k miles – some sources will even say later – standard service and t-belt cost me circa 1100e t-belt cost was 750-800 I think. As with most t-belts the cost of failure is high - so why risk it. I imagine on the 225 and if you drive hard you run higher risk but I don’t know if that’s actually true (? I’m not a mechanic or big car nut). However - your a bit off 70k miles - so you don't have to worry about that for a while.

I’ve the coupe so while you won’t get more then one adult in the back with comfort (but I’ve done it) you will get two small children on a school run (I do it!) – in fact it’s their preferred mode of transport when given the choice !

A car like this is going to cost you some money to run and you hear people report problems but I don’t think exceptionally, I was seriously considering a Alfa GTV and opted for the Audi for reliability reasons. (advice on gtv is change t-belt at 40k!!)

Apart from anything else really – buy it in the UK (take the usual precautions) don’t be conned paying over the odds for a lesser Irish model. Any perceived advantage of buying from an Irish dealer regarding after sales support (ha) will be paid for many times over by the money you save.

Besides that – buy it you’ll thank your self every time you sit in !!
    (also i'm over six foot - no problems)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I recently sold a 2000 audi TT 180 bhp quattro. It was pretty much unbreakable. 104000 miles and no problems apart from rear shocks. sold it for 15000 euro. they are way overpriced n carzone. Mine didnt move until it was cheapest there and it was spotless. when I had the car I went to audi dealer parts counter to order haldex oil. Told me they NEVER had anything like that and told me to buy transmission fluid at motorfactors! Wasnt happy with this so found the part number of the oil and got them to order it. When it arrived, they asked why was I changing it and was the car leaking.
    So anybody that has a quattro audi should check that this is being done at service.

My service book said haldex oil every 20000 miles with haldex filter every 40000 miles.

kdobey wrote: »

The advice I got and settled on, and I think it's worth repeating, is aim at a 180 (single turbo) quattro. The tax and insurance *and* cost of the 180 is generally less - there is also some evidence that the 180 is less troublesome then the 225 (since it's a single turbo rather then a twin turbo). (Both are 1.8l for the vintage/price I was looking at).

The 225 bhp is not a twin turbo. It a higher rated turbo with intercooler and turbo timer I think

mickdw wrote: »
    The 225 bhp is not a twin turbo. It a higher rated turbo with intercooler and turbo timer I think

It's a larger turbo, a k04 vs a k03s on the 180bhp model. The 225bhp model has two intercoolers and the 180bhp only has one, similar engine 1.8 20 valve 4 cylnder.

None of them have turbo timers.
    None of them are twin turbo.

Neil.

Neilw wrote: »
    It's a larger turbo, a k04 vs a k03s on the 180bhp model. The 225bhp model has two intercoolers and the 180bhp only has one, similar engine 1.8 20 valve 4 cylnder.

None of them have turbo timers.
    None of them are twin turbo.

Neil.

didnt think there was any intercooler on the 180.

mickdw wrote: »
    didnt think there was any intercooler on the 180.

Yes, on the right hand side in front of the front wheel, same as a golf gti/ocatvia vrs and so on.
    The 225 version has an intercooler on each side of the car.

Advertisement