Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guys and Straighteners - The Great Debate

• 23-02-2008 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

A year ago I had pretty short hair and considered straigheners (like most Irish blokes) - gay. Then I moved to England for college and noticed that everyone, not even metrosexuals or anything like that, used them. My friends auntie has a 13 year old nephew who wanted one for Christmas.

And gradually I started to come around to the idea. Not to sound bitchy or anything, but ive noticed English young people dress a lot better than Irish and generally are ahead of the curves on most trends (no fake D4 wannabees etc). So I eventually purchased a straightener and have the whole set up with spray beforehand etc, whilst growing my hair longer for that year.

Personally my hair now looks a 100 times better and nobody bats an eyelid over here, until I go home that is and my short back and sides mates take the piss. So will guys and straighteners ever broke out of the pre-conceptions that Irish guys have? And to answer most people's question - no, I dont listen to Emo :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

There is no debate. Its looks ****. People in the UK have the worst hairstyles. Maybe only topped by the Italians. They all look like members of busted/mcfly which makes them look over styled and very fake. The put in a huge amount of effort into their hair only to like ponces.

If you have one of those mini-mullets straigthend with a GHD then your friends are right to take the piss out of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you're a ****** dude.

no disrespect intended to any dudes out there who might be reading this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Haha, and you're a moderator? What a crock of ****. The mecca of style - Carlow

EDIT - of course I dont have a mullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Hey mate,

I use a straightener and all. Get slagged about it something awful, but feck it, it makes my hair look at least fifteen times better, so I figure its worth it.

Whatever makes you feel good about yourself and **** the begrudgers.

Well like yourself, I wouldnt change my opinion of it becauase of what people would say to me, but I'm just looking for other peoples opinions.

And as you can see from the above posters, the Irish reaction to it is CRAZILY angry and homophobic! Even though people love Kings of Leon, who have straightened hair and wear skinny jeans. People just seem to imagine mullets and bleached hair, which is the complete opposite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

i dont think any self respecting gay man would use a straightner.They tend to have a good sense of style. It is a female thing not a gay or hetrosexual male thing. If you are a man and you are using a straightner or wearing make up or shaving your legs then there is something very wrong with you.

Well like yourself, I wouldnt change my opinion of it becauase of what people would say to me, but I'm just looking for other peoples opinions.

And as you can see from the above posters, the Irish reaction to it is CRAZILY angry and homophobic! Even though people love Kings of Leon, who have straightened hair and wear skinny jeans. People just seem to imagine mullets and bleached hair, which is the complete opposite

It is nothing to do with being homophobic, it looks stupid that's all.

Yeah the Irish reaction to it is scary.

Meh, whatever. It impacts me not. Anyone who forms an opinion of someone based on how they care for their hair is an imbecile anyway and not someone I want to talk too !

Think I'll get it chemically straightened before I move in with my new roomies though :o;)

There's nothing wrong with me Jam. You don't have to get so testy, eat a yorkie bar and cheer up :D

yorkiebarPA410x141.jpg

Nom nom nom

tbh I tend to think that people who spend alot of time on their hair are the imbeciles and people I'd like to avoid, so this could be the start of a beautiful ignorance.

• Advertisement

Jeebus wrote: »
    Yeah the Irish reaction to it is scary.

Meh, whatever. It impacts me not. Anyone who forms an opinion of someone based on how they care for their hair is an imbecile anyway and not someone I want to talk too !

Think I'll get it chemically straightened before I move in with my new roomies though :o;)

You are male talking about getting a chemical straightning, that is what is scary, I would imagine that in many other countries the reaction would be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

There's nothing wrong with me Jam. You don't have to get so testy, eat a yorkie bar and cheer up :D

yorkiebarPA410x141.jpg

Nom nom nom

What are you doing with a Yorkie ?? its not for girls :mad:

Well this a fashion board, goes to show that maybe the people that come here take care or look after their appearence a bit more? Whats to be afraid of? A moderator calling another poster a ****** without provocation sounds a bit insecure to me :cool:

Calling me a girl? Oscar Wilde re-incarnate! Well you're a smelly weehead

look, you can all say it's only a bit of harmless fun and sure you're only looking after yourselves like good, modern european men.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/article/new_jersey_freakshows/1958/

but this is what it leads to.

Ireland says no.

You are male talking about getting a chemical straightning, that is what is scary, I would imagine that in many other countries the reaction would be the same.

I never said it wouldn't.

That doesn't make it right to react like that though, does it ?

I mean if you could give me a legitimate reason for why its wrong, then fair play to you, and saying it looks terrible just doesn't work, using a straightener does not determine your hair style.

All it does it straighten. Surprisingly enough, thats how it got its name.

Hold up a second, how have New Jersey Guido's with SHORT, GELLED hair, that isnt straightened, got to do with anything European or to do with straighteners?

Funny page though :D

I never said it wouldn't.

That doesn't make it right to react like that though, does it ?

I mean if you could give me a legitimate reason for why its wrong, then fair play to you, and saying it looks terrible just doesn't work, using a straightener does not determine your hair style.

All it does it straighten. Surprisingly enough, thats how it got its name.

React like what? poker straight hair looks stupid on men, apart from the fact it is such a female thing to do.

Of course there is something wrong with it, make up is ok as well is it, fake tan and shaving your legs?

look, you can all say it's only a bit of harmless fun and sure you're only looking after yourselves like good, modern european men.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/article/new_jersey_freakshows/1958/

but this is what it leads to.

Ireland says no.

Looking at those lads it looks like they are wearing a load of gel and fake tan, not straightening their hair tbh. Brylcreem leads to this madness and must be stopped now.

Its not about hair poker straight hair, tbh I think that looks rubbish. Its about if your hair is longer and curls up at the end, u just sort that and it looks neater. Heres one of the guys from kings of leon, looks cool to me

And no, of course I don't use make-up fake tan or shave my legs. People that smoke weed don't go out and inject themselves with heroin either.

KingsOFLeon090207_3.jpg

React like what? poker straight hair looks stupid on men.

React like its the worst thing in the world (not referring to you, other posters with their "OMG THATS SO GAY LOL GTFO" attitude).

Thats a matter of opinion, and I know plenty of girls who would think otherwise, thankfully. :)

For instance, first result when I google it :
    i think its absolutly STUNNING when a guy straightens his hair, especially when he's like a skater and its like shaggy. ah, and with a cute skater hat, hmm. that would be my dream guy♥
    YUR! My friend (whos a guy) does it all the time it looks ace!!!
    Its very normal!
    Of course it's ok for men to straighten their hair! And men's hair is the same as women's hair, straighteners work equally well.
    Yes.
    this shouldn't be a question in the first place.
    i think its fine for a guy to straiten his hair. iv seen lots of boys like that and i think thay look cute. LOL

etc etc ( http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070505140738AAvtufR&show=7 if you're interested)

Also, there are countless celebrity men who people drool over who straighten their hair :)

• Advertisement

Of course there is something wrong with it, make up is ok as well is it, fake tan and shaving your legs?

I do none of these things, but if you enjoy it, then knock yourself out.

I don't see the problem. Do what makes you happy and makes you feel good about yourself, anyone who tells you to do otherwise is a nob.

please don't compare the beautiful and natural act of smoking weed with this barbarism.

Its the same "slippery slope" argument that if a guy straightens their hair, they're gay, shave their legs blah blah blah. A lot of Irish people are just a little behind the times, like your Anchorman username... ******

ok leg shaver

Its the same "slippery slope" argument that if a guy straightens their hair, they're gay, shave their legs blah blah blah. A lot of Irish people are just a little behind the times, like your Anchorman username... ******
    it doesn't make you gay it just makes you look naff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Sangre wrote: »
    it doesn't make you gay it just makes you look naff.

kind of like that twat who was on my super sweet 16?

Naff?!!! Who says Naff! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hey mate,

I use a straightener and all. Get slagged about it something awful, but feck it, it makes my hair look at least fifteen times better, so I figure its worth it.

Whatever makes you feel good about yourself and **** the begrudgers.

Oh well that's ok then. If it made it only fourteen times better then it'd be a big no no :rolleyes:

Guys using hair straighteners? There's nothing straight about it. Great ironing though.

"There's nothing straight about it"

....ITS. HAIR. Maybe in your mind a man with straight hair is automatically not straight, I just thought it was decided by his sexual orientation? Judging by the wasted braincells on this thread I'm surprised ironing, sitting in a womans car, wearing a scarf or owning a small dog don't make people gay these days too :D

p.s. City are sh*t

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Oh well that's ok then. If it made it only fourteen times better then it'd be a big no no :rolleyes:

Guys using hair straighteners? There's nothing straight about it. Great ironing though.

So basically what you're saying is "OMG STRAIGHTENERS R FOR GAYZ LOLOL OMG".

Great argument. Good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It can look really good when done well.
    I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i think its ok, laughed at the idea at first but no really it's just hair like, you can if you want, and it wont make you gay lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yizzil

A year ago I had pretty short hair and considered straigheners (like most Irish blokes) - gay. Then I moved to England for college and noticed that everyone, not even metrosexuals or anything like that, used them. My friends auntie has a 13 year old nephew who wanted one for Christmas.

And gradually I started to come around to the idea. Not to sound bitchy or anything, but ive noticed English young people dress a lot better than Irish and generally are ahead of the curves on most trends (no fake D4 wannabees etc). So I eventually purchased a straightener and have the whole set up with spray beforehand etc, whilst growing my hair longer for that year.

Personally my hair now looks a 100 times better and nobody bats an eyelid over here, until I go home that is and my short back and sides mates take the piss. So will guys and straighteners ever broke out of the pre-conceptions that Irish guys have? And to answer most people's question - no, I dont listen to Emo :D

Couldn't agree with you more man, just looking through a few of your posts and I'm liking the sound of your style. What do you ask for when you get your hair cut? how do yu style it?

I dont really ask for a style in general, but I do try to stress im not looking for a mullet! I usually just them to cut into the hair near top of my head, but keep the fringe and especially the sides growin, wanna get them past my ears. Sometimes I get the back a cut a bit so it doesnt get mullety. I'm growing it out so I ask for it to be thinned out. Something like Alex Turner in Artic Monkeys, if you mention him the hairdresser kinda knows what youre on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

nothin wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

OH NO NOT STRAIGHTNERS
    NO GEL
    dont even think about picking your unibrow

You gotta be a MAN, ROUGH, a better razor? ARE YOU A GIRL !!!! show that stuble

infact when u wake up, dont even bother washing your face, just walk out.

*THIS IS A MANS WORLD* [music fading in]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

i dont see the point, why bother like?

it would take ages to do it every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

One thing i can't stand are men who look feminine! i.e men who straighten their hair, use moistuising products, pluck hairs, wear pink etc. etc.

Most women like manly men!!! Grow a pair

I have a lovely pair which I assure you haven't been plucked :D Its more of an Indie thing these days than a metrosexual thing, which is where people tend to get confused. I wouldn't wear pink for example. By the way fuzzy, you don't want men to pluck means you WANT the unibrow, you crave the unibrow?

"There's nothing straight about it"

....ITS. HAIR. Maybe in your mind a man with straight hair is automatically not straight, I just thought it was decided by his sexual orientation? Judging by the wasted braincells on this thread I'm surprised ironing, sitting in a womans car, wearing a scarf or owning a small dog don't make people gay these days too :D

Nothing wrong with wearing a scarf at all, except when it's with just a t-shirt. If you're cold wear a jumper.

Of course having straight hair doesn't make you gay. It's actually taking the hour or so to get it that way that puts you in the questionable category.
    p.s. City are sh*t

Post reported. Off topic abuse.
    So basically what you're saying is "OMG STRAIGHTENERS R FOR GAYZ LOLOL OMG".

Great argument. Good job.

Not gays per se, but for feminine blokes.

• Advertisement

Scarfs and t-shirts are WRONG. As I've said, people seem to confuse straighteners and metrosexuality. I don't wear pink, wax my legs, bleach my hair etc, I'm into Indie music, indie style etc. Look at people in Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, The Enemy, they have straighteners, but dont wear pink. So it's not about being feminine, it's about having longer hair than most people and making that hair look a bit cooler. Also it takes nowhere near an hour, not much more than 10 mins incl wax (HAIR wax)

Scarfs and t-shirts are WRONG. As I've said, people seem to confuse straighteners and metrosexuality. I don't wear pink, wax my legs, bleach my hair etc, I'm into Indie music, indie style etc. Look at people in Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, The Enemy, they have straighteners, but dont wear pink. So it's not about being feminine, it's about having longer hair than most people and making that hair look a bit cooler. Also it takes nowhere near an hour, not much more than 10 mins incl wax (HAIR wax)

For your legs? :p

ZING!!!!

THUMBS_UP_MAN_small.JPG

Naff?!!! Who says Naff! :D
    English lads who straighten their hair.

'Its all about you, it's all about you baby'

I'm English now? You guys aren't the best at staying on topic. Anyways you're the one going around using 1996 slang like a big "dork", haha.

Anybody else's opinions out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

does your father know about this? when you told him did he hang his head in shame, but realising that might upset you try putting on a brave face. you know that later that evening himself and your mother had a conversation that went something like this
    him: he's using a hair straightener now, you dont reckon he's one of them, do ya?
    her: shoosh now, at least he's happy

later that night they both went to bed not speaking of the one thing on both their minds. sleep didnt come easy and at stages during the night both awoke to hear the other crying.
    i hope you're pleased with yourself

Ouch my sides :rolleyes: Try harder longshanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

pfs5inch.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Irish reaction to it is CRAZILY angry and homophobic!

This sums it up tbh.

Irish men, in general, are way way behind the men from other cultures in terms of fashion/style etc. Have a walk around any country town and you'll see this. Go into a country club and you'll see even further evidence of this, as the overwhelming majority are still dressing as they did back in the early 90s.

In Dublin, you'll find more guys who are more up to date with their attitudes, however you'll still find some who are still backwards and who'll be quick to label something "gay", due to them being severe homophobes (yet they'll then go "ah no, I've nothing against them gays, but ya know, it's just not natural is it?")

I've nothing against men using hair straighteners tbh, same thing as hair gel or any other products people use to look better as far as I'm concerned. I only know a few guys who straighten their hair though, but I guess that's because there's not all that many people who actually need to straighten it around.

At the end of the day, men who comment negatively on what other men use to do themselves up, be it hair gel, facial washes or even moisturiser, or even hair straighteners, are just people who've had homophobia bred into them by their oh so straight and not in any way closet homosexual fathers and are probably jealous of others looks, yet afraid to modify their own in fear of being branded a "homo" by their macho mates. Funnily enough, and on a slightly related note, they're the same churn out racist remarks frequently.

It's a stupid mentality and one that is seen hugely in Ireland...and the southern states of the USA.

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

longshanks wrote: »
    does your father know about this? when you told him did he hang his head in shame, but realising that might upset you try putting on a brave face. you know that later that evening himself and your mother had a conversation that went something like this
    him: he's using a hair straightener now, you dont reckon he's one of them, do ya?
    her: shoosh now, at least he's happy

later that night they both went to bed not speaking of the one thing on both their minds. sleep didnt come easy and at stages during the night both awoke to hear the other crying.
    i hope you're pleased with yourself
    I've reported this.

I'm also not at all surprised that this would be the attitude from someone from "The Deise". You should get the fck off the internet and go pick your potatoes to impress Daddy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement