Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torchwood 2x07 Dead Man Walking (Yes there are spoilers)

• 23-02-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

You know the routine - watch it first then read on ...
    So Owen's dead. Jack - not too keen on the idea - gets a second glove and brings back to life Lord Foul.

Melenkurion Abatha. Duroc Minas Mil. (Harad) Khaball - Harad's in brackets cos they left that word out. For anyone who isn't a fan of Donaldson these are the 7 words of Power - Earthpower of course. I actually rewinded it when Owen first said it cos I couldn't believe what I'd just heard (I'm a huge TC fan). In The Land they are words for the forces of good - gotta love the ironing :D

So Owen is Death - or a conduit for Death - I didn't watch the trailer for next week but this story isn't over yet. Pope was right sort of reviewing last weeks ep - there wasn't any weevil in Owen until he was resurrected. Now he's king of the Weevils. After he beats Death you have to wonder if that part of the story is going to expand.

The potential romance between him and Tosh is building up too. Owen was excellent in this ep imo and is really maturing as a character. I wasn't a big fan of him in Series 1.

Another good ep for me and is really building up some good character stories.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just watched it there - impressed again! Seriously, I still can't get over the difference between the two seasons..

Owen as the conduit for Death worked, especially when we've heard about the darkness in the first season. Building on previous lore worked. I am gutted though that I didn't recognise the Words of Power - I've read Thomas Covenant (in my defence, it's been a while). It would've been funnier if Owen had a white gold ring :)
    Credit to Owen though - he's far more likeable here. His "sacrifice" is obviously going to come at a cost. He's still not perfect but his "ratiness" is more like self deprecation this time around, rather than being a pure asshole . The romance with Tosh is being handled well too.

The weevil angle is interesting. Is it from the bite that he got last season? Or is it something more significant? The weevils have been kinda quiet and harmless but here, as they lurked around, they seemed more menacing, especially if they had someone to lead them. I reckon that's what we're leading towards this season (a nice arc too).

Line of the night goes to Ianto (again!) with his comment about being redirected to weight watchers sites :D Everyone else was good tonight too. Well done team!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As mentioned, once again Torchwood shows up it's own last season with a well written, adult episode. The ratings seem to be quite healthy too,so I guess it'll come back for a third one. Maybe with a better budget this time too cos some of the "Death" CGI shots were woeful. Oh and the one consistent tarnish is still John Barrowman's inability to act. At all.

But other than that, this was an interesting episode, and you certainly felt for Owen. Nice that the Owen/Tosh relationship has developed a bit more & there were some great dramatic yet comedic moments there; the bit in the jail cell for one. the death creature itself was quite creepy. the hospital scene reminded me of the same one from AvP:Requim; yet with a lesser budget & no "gross out" scares, Torchwood's scenes in here were infinitely creepier.

I'm not sure that the King of the Weevils thing is something we'll see more of - I think it was more that the Weevils sensed the "Death" creature inside Owen and for some reason worshipped it (remember that they had the other resurrection glove in that church they all seemed to congregate in).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

This season's definitely a big improvement on S1 just wish they'd give Jack a decent gun - that one he has looks ridiculous it's like a kid's cap gun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

eamon234 wrote: »
    This season's definitely a big improvement on S1 just wish they'd give Jack a decent gun - that one he has looks ridiculous it's like a kid's cap gun!
    It's a hangover from when he first appeared in the Doctor Who story "The Empty Child" as the RAF Captain. Between it and the coat / clothes, he obviously liked the style ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I think Owens' character is nearly completely different than in series 1... like the entire programme then!
    I watched the trailer for next week... and lets just say I'm getting peed off at the way they spoil the story a little bit.:mad:

• Advertisement

I disagree; I think Owen is more or less the same snarky, cynical self-centred git he always was. The difference is again in the presentation and writing of the series. Whereas in "Countrycide" he was jamming Gwen against a tree and whispering sweet obscenities into her ear, this aspect is now (happily) absent in the writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

pixelburp wrote: »
    I disagree; I think Owen is more or less the same snarky, cynical self-centred git he always was. The difference is again in the presentation and writing of the series. Whereas in "Countrycide" he was jamming Gwen against a tree and whispering sweet obscenities into her ear, this aspect is now (happily) absent in the writing.
    Yeah I'd agree but I just think he's been given so much more depth in series 2, rather than JUST being a little randy git, he's an awful lot more complex nowadays

Advertisement