Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardwareversand build couple of questions

Options
  • 23-02-2008 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

im thinking of getting hardwareversand to build my pc:

Q1. Will they just send the pc and keep the extra unused cables etc. that go with it, etc. (this would be annoying in a couple of years chasing around different cables :( ) and the driver discs?

Q2. (its for for gaming purpose.) Is 4 gig of ram, say corsair 6400, better than
    2 gig of corsair dominator 8500 overclocked ?
    ( i suppose for overclocking the cpu the dominator ram is better?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Why not just put it together yourself? It really is easier than you'd think if you havent done it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

for 20 euro i think its worth it to be fair. compared to other places, mentioning no names, it is 70 euro i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

x keo21 wrote: »
    for 20 euro i think its worth it to be fair. compared to other places, mentioning no names, it is 70 euro i believe.

It is good value, not sure about the cables and the driver cd's as I have never bought a pre built off them...But I would think they would include the drivers for the mobo,graphics card,sound card and whatever else you bought off them, if you get a good psu like Corsair they will have all the cables you need on it, everything else like the hard drive, graphics card, dvd drive etc will just include the basic's (power cable, sata cable, 6 pin molex cable etc), they are not going to give you spares if thats what your thinkg :D

Building the pc isnt that hard but if your new to it will take a few hours, it took me 3 hours the first time.I did it after work (bad idea), the pc didnt boot up (forgot to connect the reset switch on the motherboard) , I was tired and began to panic lol.

I am glad I did it though and have built a good few for friends, family and myself since....

Whats your build so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yes 4gb of 6400 is better then 2gb 8500. 6400 overclocks just as well as 8500. Obviously this is dependant on the chips them selfs. But for example my 6400 will happily sit at 1200mhz with hardly any extra voltage or loosening the timings significantly.

• Advertisement

Hardwareversand have 9600gt's for cheaper than anywhere else....

You can get them for €137, you will be laughing at those prices...

Like a pair of 9600GT's for about €270 can put a kicking to an 8800Ultra in the most graphics intensive games (Crysis,Oblivion,Company Of Heroes)..

Look at the Firingsquad review below and the 9600GT SLI is easily better than a single 8800Ultra in every game they tested except HL2 and Bioshock. And Bioshock SLi 9600GT still scaled 57% allowing it to match the mighty 8800U..

Sli is finally getting it right imo, nearly all the demanding graphics games support sli now, and the ones that dont (HL2) dont really require it...

At those prices its the way to go imo..

Especially if you overclock them...

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_9600_gt_sli_performance/page7.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gloopy

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Like a pair of 9600GT's for about €270 can put a kicking to an 8800Ultra in the most graphics intensive games (Crysis,Oblivion,Company Of Heroes)...

SLI definitely seems to be getting it's act together, I agree, but I think the price comparison is a little misleading as the board used by Firing Squad was an EVGA 780i - almost €210 on HardwareVersand.

If you can get the same results on an earlier nVidia board, then it sounds like a real winner... Although I read the 6-series boards run hot, and don't clock well?

EDIT: @ x keo21 - Can't say about HV's policy on supplying all the cables and stuff they don't use in your build, but I know some companies will indeed give you all the left over odds and ends. Can't hurt to drop them an email and ask :)

Gloopy wrote: »
    SLI definitely seems to be getting it's act together, I agree, but I think the price comparison is a little misleading as the board used by Firing Squad was an EVGA 780i - almost €210 on HardwareVersand.

If you can get the same results on an earlier nVidia board, then it sounds like a real winner... Although I read the 6-series boards run hot, and don't clock well?

Where have you read that about the 780i Gloopy?

You get PCI-e 2.0 and tri SLI capability, but really I don't see that as any benefit for the 9600gt's.

Matter of fact comparing 8x/8x sli vs 16x/16x sli, you don't see a performance difference with dual 8800GTX even.After seeing reviews like below people with the choice off 650i or 680i, went with the cheaper 650i..

http://www.techspot.com/review/45-nvidia-nforce-650i-sli-vs-680i-sli/page4.html

Its a great option considering the price for a pair of those cards vs the performance. It's the cheapest SLI configuration that makes total sense to me.

Something like this could be a monster, especially if you overclock the 9600gt's by say 60mhz core, 100mhz memory and overclock the cpu to 3.0ghz

http://i26.tinypic.com/mbiybt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gloopy

Read what about it mate? The price or the fact they used it in the review??

• Advertisement

Gloopy wrote: »
    Read what about it mate? The price or the fact they used it in the review??

lol thought you said " I doubt you can get the same results on earlier board"

My bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

yeah got mine today....

all extra cables manuals drivers boxes etc are all there.....

the build leaves a little to be desired.... assembled rather than built i think..... I'll post details in diff thread

Advertisement