Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone actually believe Bertie?

• 24-02-2008 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this belongs in Politics but:
    Anyone willing to defend this guy.
    Or even believe his hilarious stories.

We were long over-due another Bertie-bashing thread methinks. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The money was just resting in his account, leave him alone! :( Have to laugh at my Mam when I talk to her and mention Bertie. "Ah sure isn't he a loveable sort of a rogue though". :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think its terrible they way they're hounding him over that money, he got it for his confirmation no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bertie Bassett?

I bet this story is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Hes some piece of work I'll give him that.

Was passng St. Lukes earlier and he was inside, destroying evidence no doubt.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

No way do I believe him, do I care?......nope.

He's a legend, hes did a super job leading this country.

Every single Politician that ever shook hands with Charlie Haughy has a little 'baggage'.

Just imagine how bad things cound be....Taosaich Enda Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Check it out:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4xPRYnExAw)

No I do not believe any of it. It's only a matter of time before it all comes out into the open, like CJ. I'm sure he'll be retired by then though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Am I right in thinking that he was given 5 grand a good few years ago but can't exactly remember who gave it to him?

Feck off, 5 grand is a lot of money, I'd remember 500, never mind 5000. And if he doesn't remember he's getting paid too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He's got about as much integrity as Al Capone. I can't stomach the way certain people will defend him when I'm sure deep down they know he's a crook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Na sur come on, Charlie Haughey was his mentor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Check it out:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4xPRYnExAw)

No I do not believe any of it. It's only a matter of time before it all comes out into the open, like CJ. I'm sure he'll be retired by then though.

Ahhh man, the editors of Reeling In The Years are fukking geniuses, "Oh I've got freinds in low places", I hope they repeat that program again, i've watched it about three times straight through but little gems like that clip would easily have me watching it a forth time.

Some people obviously do, like the thing about 2 weeks ago where a group carried sacks of potatoes from Ballymun to Fagan's in Drumcondra in support of him. I only heard about it on the radio so don't know what came of it. But still, shows he does have some support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Meirleach

tech77 wrote: »
    Bwahahahaha.

That is an absolute classic, and in answer to the OP: HELL NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Why hasn't anyone came up with a credible "Leave Bertie Alone" video by now?

Of course i believe him... He has a bad memory, and loads of corrupt friends who aren;t a bad influence.... we all believe bertie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ruu wrote: »
    Have to laugh at my Mam when I talk to her and mention Bertie. "Ah sure isn't he a loveable sort of a rogue though". :/
    Yeah, that's how CJ got away with so much as well ... with Bertie handing him blank cheques afair. Bertie just doesn't seem to have been as good at it as his mentor was ... if he was going to get his hands into the same cesspit, he may as well have gone for gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I couldnt care less if he walked into the central bank and stuffed his pockets with whatever amount they are talking about. What I do care about is spending countless millions chasing the poxy few grand. Worse still the amount of i thats going to lawyers. They are earnign many multiples of what Bertie has earned, legitimately or otherwise since taking any sort of offic ein this country and will drag this rubish out as long as possible to keep the cash cow mooing.

Show me a 100% clean politician and I'll point to a liar.

Just for the record, I have spent about 30,000 of mostly the banks mone over the last 2 or 3 years and I honestly couldnt tell you what I spent most of it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

Bertie, nobody has ever mentoned he was going through a tough time in his personal life. This has prob clouded his judgement. I know he can't account for alot of details that maybe he should have a better idea of......... but come on he's a lovely fellow and this country would not be in the good economic state it's in now only for him and a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I hear he likes pink as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

I hear he likes pink as well.
    Ha Ha very funny.........if thats all you come up with you must agree with me so???

there is that better???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Annie, have you any idea how difficult that is to read?

And I suspect Ruu is just too nice to undermine what seems to be a bad case of myopic hero-worship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Bertie has no doubt been involved in some shady deals but I refuse to believe he was quite as neck high in sh*t as tribunal cousel would have us think.

Do you really think the tribunal has or will find out about every shady deal.:confused:
    At the end of it (if it ever ends) i'm sure bertie will be thinking to himself, thank feck the didn't find out about €xxxxxxx for x.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Stekelly wrote: »
    I couldnt care less if he walked into the central bank and stuffed his pockets with whatever amount they are talking about. What I do care about is spending countless millions chasing the poxy few grand.

The integrity and credibility of our leader is a pretty serious affair. If this was the UK he would have been forced to resign long ago. There are too many question marks over his affairs and a line needs to be drawn somewhere and him given the boot.
    annie19 wrote: »
    Bertie, nobody has ever mentoned he was going through a tough time in his personal life. This has prob clouded his judgement. I know he can't account for alot of details that maybe he should have a better idea of......... but come on he's a lovely fellow and this country would not be in the good economic state it's in now only for him and a few others.

Actually his seperation from yer wan was talked about in great detail previously and she had to answer to the tribunal at one stage too.

We have charlie mccreevey to thank for our economy, not that bertie chancer!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

HAHAHAHAHAH, The economy is down the tubes because of him and his cronies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its facinating stuff, Celia Larkin (thats Berties bit on the side for those not paying attention) had borrowed 30 grand to buy a house from the Bank of Bertie without him knowing it. It was finally paid back last december. Aherns personal trauma occured in 1987 by the time he was reciving wedges of cash of all sorts 7 years had passed.

The man is a chancer - he was a book-keeper and finanace minister, is famous for his powers of recollection and running a tight constituency ship yet he remembers nothing can't keep track of money and apparently has no idea whats going on in his own Cumann.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

panda100 wrote: »
    It was a case of better the devil you know.
    But do we really know how much of a devil he is? And if we did would we still want him?
    The truth must come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

I agree but Its perfectly understandble to see why people voted back in Bertie. Who was the alternative?Enda kenny? He provides no alternative,he stands for exactly what Bertie stands for,protecting big buissness and the buisness men who finance the parties to get them into power.

Absolute rubbish. Its for this very reason we are in such a sorry, sad, frustrating and deeply embarrassing position.

Bertie is delighted people like you have such low standards. Setting your sights so low is hardly anyway to go thru life.

Plus its exceptionally naive of you to say "a case of better the devil you know"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dustin and the poultry party get my vote next time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Ah sure leave him alone.

We all need loveable rogues as a taoiseach.

And he does great things for the economy!!!!!

*sarcasm alert*

I agree but Its perfectly understandble to see why people voted back in Bertie. Who was the alternative?Enda kenny? He provides no alternative,he stands for exactly what Bertie stands for,protecting big buissness and the buisness men who finance the parties to get them into power.

I am no fan of either Fianna Fail or Fianna Gael.

But TBH I think Enda would make a better taoiseach than Bertie.

Baaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!! That's one of the funniest statements I have ever read on here. Poor old Bertie was all confuzzled was he? Girl get your facts straight if you are going to start talking about the Celtic tiger and economy matters. And if you want your posts to have the (slim) chance to be taken seriously and easily read I suggest you don't write in pink, or any other strange colour.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

That's absolute bollocks. Country is in a good economic state? What about the millions wasted, atrocious public services, declining competitiveness and generally high cost of living? The celtic tiger would have happened regardless of who was in government over the last 10 years, and I think it was managed poorly leading to the problems facing us at the moment.

And as for "ah sure he's a lovely fellow", he can't be all that lovely if he puts his own interests ahead of those of the public who he's supposed to serve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

All ye defending Bertie forget one thing, when this country is cast aside as a corrupt nation by international bodies for the past and present deeds of our leaders, the investment will dry up and you what happens then, ye'll be picking up pennies off the footpath! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

gurramok wrote: »
    All ye defending Bertie forget one thing, when this country is cast aside as a corrupt nation by international bodies for the past and present deeds of our leaders, the investment will dry up and you what happens then, ye'll be picking up pennies off the footpath! :D
    Stick to the facts at hand please.

As of this post, Berite has not been convicted of any crimes.
    Until such time, boards.ie is open to libel and slander charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

BrightEyes wrote: »
    Dirty fascist

If the amount of money involved in the whole Bertie affair was a lot higher then maybe I might actually care. I'm not to happy with the cost of the Tribunal. It seems as if a molehill is being made into a mountain

But what's the alternative? Just drop the whole thing, and leave politicians thinking they are above the law?

And how come cost only comes into it when it's Bertie? Say someone burgles a house, the cost of trying to catch the burglar, convicting him and then housing him in prison is likely to far exceed the value of the goods he stole. The point is the system is there to act as a deterrent and ensure those who do wrong are punished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stekelly wrote: »
    I couldnt care less if he walked into the central bank and stuffed his pockets with whatever amount they are talking about. What I do care about is spending countless millions chasing the poxy few grand. Worse still the amount of i thats going to lawyers. They are earnign many multiples of what Bertie has earned, legitimately or otherwise since taking any sort of offic ein this country and will drag this rubish out as long as possible to keep the cash cow mooing.

Show me a 100% clean politician and I'll point to a liar.

Just for the record, I have spent about 30,000 of mostly the banks mone over the last 2 or 3 years and I honestly couldnt tell you what I spent most of it on.
    Ahh sure let's stop the Gardai pursuing robbers in that case, it costs a fortune paying all those Gardai's salaries, cars, etc., it's not like they're robbing millions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

No. Im sorry, anyone who doesn't "remeber" getting five grand or whatever it was, is a fool. Even if it was 15 or so years ago. I personally would remember. Also, it was worth a lot more back then than it would be now. I would go as far as calling him a liar, but I don't want a libel charge hanging over my head, at leats not another one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

zootroid wrote: »
    That's absolute bollocks. Country is in a good economic state? What about the millions wasted, atrocious public services, declining competitiveness and generally high cost of living? The celtic tiger would have happened regardless of who was in government over the last 10 years, and I think it was managed poorly leading to the problems facing us at the moment.

And as for "ah sure he's a lovely fellow", he can't be all that lovely if he puts his own interests ahead of those of the public who he's supposed to serve
    I have to agree with this post! celtic Tiger was ging to happen, because people were working their bollocks off for it, and the fact that any group of people, Fianna Fail or otherwise, can take credit for it is a joke.

I dont give a hoot if he's a lovely fellow, he's got good leadership skills, but his government has wasted more money than the USA would ever let themselves waste, despite having a population nearly 80 times bigger. This country has so more much potential. The celtic Tiger was wasted on payrises, and should have been spent on capital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone care to explain how my previous post on this thread (quoted above if you don't believe me) got deleted? I didn't do it...

• Advertisement

Anyone care to explain how my previous post on this thread (quoted above if you don't believe me) got deleted? I didn't do it...

Twas probably Bertie. Good luck trying to make him admit it though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

*he hasnt been found guilty of any criminal offence yet*

That is what we have to remember, despite what is coming up to the contrary.

But as a realtive newcomer the one thing i did find hard to swallow (no dirty jokes now ;))
    was the tacit acceptance of corruption and incompetence.

You know at the end of the day... people will be looking back and saying hang on..where did the money go..into the hands of the FF paymasters?.
    and what did we get?

It is a case of opportunity wasted...
    10X budget overuns on capital projects.
    a hosiptal service Harold shipman would delight in.

Share options on services that were in effect selling the family silver.

and yet people still point and make excuses. Hell they even vote em back in!

The one things that can be said is he knows what the people are... gullible

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

whats he resorting to now .ah that old one "ask me brother am i a lier" you know what ireland if himself and those others walk away from this we derserve everything we get :mad:

That first coat of whitewash is dry now boss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Twas probably Bertie. Good luck trying to make him admit it though.:)

And to think I defended him. Fúck that, hope they find a nice juicy fraudulent P60 or the likes now. :rolleyes:

a nice juicy fraudulent P60 or the likes now. :rolleyes:
    Only tax-payers get them... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

i heard the other day a radio interview [think it was liveline]that the tribunal is costing every tax payer 8euro a year well if it does the job then i would,nt mind paying 80 euro just so i can see justice done "COME ON THE MAHON" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i dont think anyone believes him anymore. particularly seeing as he's gone from a position of not having any bank account to 23 and never knew his bird got 30k off his own cumman. she bought a gaff FFS. its not exactly something you'd forget to tell your partner !

TBH its embarrassing now. even the government wont support him anymore, the only spokes people being manseragh (who had some kind of synaptic breakdown on morning ireland on friday! seriously id advise anyone needing a laugh to listen to that on the RTE website. :) ) to mary o rourke. and even she wont outright say she believes him.

i mean how the hell does someone get inexcess of 130k over and above what they earn and NOT have some kind of proof where it came from? its just not possible unless your deliberatly trying to bypass a papertrail

and as for these "loans" FFS ! how many of you guys have loans from banks that dont require a repayment for 15yrs.

he's taking piss. they only became loans when he was caught with the cash pure and simple.

anyone who hand on heart believes all the codswallop hes come out with should be culled for the benefit of the race.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

TBH its embarrassing now. even the government wont support him anymore, the only spokes people being manseragh (who had some kind of synaptic breakdown on morning ireland on friday! seriously id advise anyone needing a laugh to listen to that on the RTE website. :) ) to mary o rourke. and even she wont outright say she believes him.

I agree, the Mansergh/Regan face-off (here, third from top) is priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If people want to discuss this they can do it in Politics. The discussion of this topic is strictly moderated there and people shouldn't, intentionally or not, work around this by discussing it here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement