Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.222 ammo

• 24-02-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Where can this be got?? I see Duffys dont have it, is it dear? Im sizing up a 222 to add to the collection but I dont want to have to travel to Mozabique with my life savings every time I need ammo!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Are you only going by their website? As they have a lot more in stock than what's in that site, be worth a ring.

James McBride, Ballykeeran Sports (I think I got that right) will have it in Athlone too, as I'm sure will Scully, also in Athlone.

I've also seen it in Halpins in Listowel. Island Sports in Castlebar likely have it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

This forum should be called "Ask JohnGalway, shooting agony aunt"!!

Thanks (again)

All the same I'd get a .223 or .22-250 instead of .222 but that's just me.

And... A copy of Irish shooters digest will give you plenty of dealers to be ringing depending on what area you're in, I'd say most of them advertise in it.

Why? Is it just the availability of the ammo or is there a notable difference with the 223 222-250? I just know a guy that has a 222 to part with for a good price.

There'll definately be more ammo choice, not necessarily availability, with a .223 and likely a .22-250 as well because as far as I am aware both of those calibres are more in use, while the .222 is losing ground. Over in the UK that wouldn't be an issue as they can handload so can use pretty much any calibre without concern. If I were buying a .222 I'd be worried that while I may be able to get X,Y and Z .222 ammo in steady supply, perhaps my rifle wouldn't like it.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me on the above ;)

If I were you I'd post up a new question asking for the opinions and experiences of actual .222 users.

How come this guy is selling his rifle, have you shot it? Or seen it being shot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

.222 is a very accurate and the difference in performance is minimal as regards killing power but the ammo is slightly more expensive .
    You can pick up sako 55gr soft points for €20 a box no problem and some of the remington stuff is cheaper .
    There is nothing wrong with the calibre its just people buy 223's because everybody else they know has one .
    From my experience using a friends one i found it to be accurate and dependable .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

as ive said before the 222 is a dream to reload for if we ever get to reload legally in ireland-its appetite for powder is not high and its an inherently
    accurate round-lots of fox men in the north use them with no complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Hear hear fox shooter

The only cheap 223 is in umc,(Dearest I've seen them is 14.50 sheapest 9.50 ) go up to standard stuff and the ammo prices between 222 and 223 is very marginal.

foxhunter wrote: »
    .222 is a very accurate and the difference in performance is minimal as regards killing power but the ammo is slightly more expensive .
    You can pick up sako 55gr soft points for €20 a box no problem and some of the remington stuff is cheaper .
    There is nothing wrong with the calibre its just people buy 223's because everybody else they know has one .
    From my experience using a friends one i found it to be accurate and dependable .

Just what I wanted to hear! How many rounds in a box?

Hear hear fox shooter

The only cheap 223 is in umc,(Dearest I've seen them is 14.50 sheapest 9.50 ) go up to standard stuff and the ammo prices between 222 and 223 is very marginal.

You forgot American Eagle 50 HP grain at 11 Euro a box last time I bought them (last year) and also Federal 50 grain HP at around the same price. Plus Remington UMC comes in 45 and 50 grain HP. That's 4 budget rounds, I'm sure there's more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

alan123 wrote: »
    Just what I wanted to hear! How many rounds in a box?

20 rounds in most box's of ammo now Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

johngalway wrote: »
    You forgot American Eagle 50 HP grain at 11 Euro a box last time I bought them (last year) and also Federal 50 grain HP at around the same price. Plus Remington UMC comes in 45 and 50 grain HP. That's 4 budget rounds, I'm sure there's more.

Fair enough Galway, the only ones I tend to see and hear about is umc. I know there popular as a friend of mine buys them by the slab

Advertisement