Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to Fertilize New Lawn

Options
  • 24-02-2008 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I've read the sticky thread, but . . .
    I started a new lawn from seed late last autumn. Grown OK if a bit patchy but hasn't needed mowing yet.
    When should I fertilize this spring? Should I wait until I see some growth and then put down fertilizer or go ahead and put it down before it grows? If so, when?
    Thx,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

Bump - any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Hiya,

I saw this thread yesterday, I thought you'd have got a reply by now.

Reading it through, I would recommend not feeding it till it was established. Planting it from scratch late last autumn like you describe, well, I would leave it till after the end of April (aka early May!.)

Grass is very resilient and normally I wouldn't worry about applying feed and weed or fertiliser at any time, though better not in dryer months, but as it's new grass, I would treat it more like 'with kid gloves'.

If it looks good in June or July and there is rain forecast, then maybe wait till then.

I think there are autumn specific feeds, do them in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

I'll plan to fertilize in late Apr/early May then. It will prob get a lot of foot traffic this summer and I planted it in fall to maybe get the roots good and established.
    Another question - how does this type of grass "spread"? Does it send out shoots or drop seeds or doesn't spread unless I throw out more seed?
    Thx.

Advertisement