Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have apprenticeship and FE1s but.....

• 24-02-2008 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I am a (very) mature student(45) and I passed all my FE1s in Sept. and have an apprenticeship organised but I also have a wife and 4 kids and am now wondering about going to Blackhall in Sept. and committing to virtually no income for at least 3 years.
    I am also wondering about my job prospects qualifying at 48 or so and employers attitudes to somebody like me and finally worried about salary when I do qualify assuming I do get a job.
    I could start my own practice and have started many businesses in the past but I am told it takes years to build up a practice.
    My main worries are financial as any assets I have are tied up in property which I can not liquidate at the moment.
    I have a huge decision to make now and cannot afford to get it wrong...I either continue with the law or go back into retailing for my familys sake(financially that is)
    Any advice re salary,setting up a practice and job prospects as a newly qualified solicitor at 48 would be appreciated and don't worry about my feelings as I need to get this decision right.
    Thanks

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

On reading this, I query whether I am qualified to comment.

I will say the following:

1. Congratulations on your commitment to the law and on passing your examinations;
    2. Consider why you started the process of following the legal path;
    3. Ignore the brackets/partentheses you inserted above and be the best you can be; and
    4. If you love something money won't matter (profession, family, friends, life)

You mention assets so in theory, you have no worries. Build your bridges and choose your routes.

Tom

PS: I am yet to attend the funeral of someone who died from hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

No advice but sympathy, I'm sort of in the same boat (though a few years younger!). I'm doing the Legal Exec course right now instead of preparing for FE1s because I simply couldn't afford to earn the trainee solicitor salary. There really ought to be a system in place to allow people to qualify who don't have the means or family supports to live on apprentice wages for a couple years. :(

Advertisement