Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Ridiculous Banning From Poker Forum

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Overheal wrote: »
    edit: ah wow when did I outpost Terry?

You've a long way to go. :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055190975

Gandalf23, you have provided nothing constructive in this thread, despite posting numerous times.
    Bitching out the mods won't get you anywhere. Although I have no idea where you are going anyway.

Ste05 has made his decision.
    I don't personally agree with it, but it's not my place to criticise his moderating methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Ponster wrote: »
    +1 for keeping an extra eye on the forum but a mod *should* always ban someone with a PM that explains exactly why. In the case that the member is still confused after several PM's then a post in feedback would be fine but it shouldn't be the default action to get a reply from staff.

Mods who ban without explaining exactly why (though I'm sure it's 100% clear to the mod) and worse, who don't reply to members PM's asking for information on bannings should be 'retrained'.
    Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Not bull$hit.

Civility is a two way street.

In a PM situation I think is different from a forum. A mod shouldnt act up and expect to be allowed to PM abuse to you the humble boards.ie user and then ban you if your unhappy with the hostility that PM has created and reply. Thats a breach of contract (as an example) and there is no point in having charters if it's a one way street. Banning is one issue but PM 's are another issue that should be managed responsibly.

Ste05 wrote: »
    5starpool has reprinted the post, and has explained pretty much perfectly what happened. For non-Poker forum readers it's difficult to explain what's been going on lately in Poker, but it has become very heated over the last few months, in the Holdem HHs & Theory Forum and all the Poker forums, there has been a huge rolling fight between 2 camps, these 2 camps are the "Maths Players" on one hand and on the other, there's the "Feel Players". This thread was at a time just after/during one of these heated battles in a thread.

I then PM'd the user saying he was banned and the text of that PM was in the OP here.

I then sent him this reply:

I will still lift the ban in a week if he wants to post constructively and isn't going to hold some sort of childish grudge. I think this is more then fair.

Kashmachine, as I said PM me in a week if you want to return and post constructively in the Poker forum.

In regard to the PM I think its abusive. Does this person deserve a heads up. NO! he doesnt. I think a warning should be issued first although Steo05 doesnt have to take that kind of abuse and the OP should be given a months ban for what might be considered while not personal an abusive attack against steo05. "WTf are u in real life."

In regard the PM's.
    I think Ste05 has been more than reasonable with Kashmachine.This PM is abusive and no PM should ever be overly abusive, steo05 did go into detail and explain why he was banned despite it being unfair.

The PM

is this some kind of joke? oddly enough i think you are serious. what kind of sh1te exactly are you talking about? and wtf are u in real life or are you just off a bad run and can't get tilt monkey off your back and decide to have a pop at me. i can't see why you would have banned me? my number is xxxxxxxxx and i would appreciate a call for an explanation. is this how you treat newcomers? if you want 'sh1te' and 'sh1te stirring' eliminated then you should consider banning half of the poker forum from what i can see. i'm gobsmacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Terry wrote: »
    Gandalf23, you have provided nothing constructive in this thread, despite posting numerous times.
    Bitching out the mods won't get you anywhere. Although I have no idea where you are going anyway.

I disagree ... I believe I have provided a lot of constructive comments ... and I seem to have a few people agreeing with me :D

... not of course the blinkered "boards.ie fanboys" ... they'll never agree with anything said in feedback thats even remotely negative ... people can make up thier own minds on this ...

Terry wrote: »

Ste05 has made his decision.
    I don't personally agree with it, but it's not my place to criticise his moderating methods.

Terry, I believe you have contributed nothing positive to this debate ... either in this or other threads.

I also believe you have a personal grudge against me because of our past encounters on boards.ie, and I am thus going to totally ignore you from this point in time as I believe you will attempt to snipe and point score against me without contributing positively to the debate in any way.

Good evening to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If theres one thing I've seen in Terry, its he's fairly unpredictable. I somehow doubt he holds grudges but I could just be misreading him?

My own opinion: the OP was naive. Ste05 was high strung, but should have pursued a warning, or a shorter ban. That debate feels over to me. The thread is de-railing into poo-flinging now.

Discussion of Feedback and general Boards.ie ettiquite ought to be taken elsewhere. Gandalf may I suggest you take that to the Thunderdome?

• Advertisement

If theres one thing I've seen in Terry, its he's fairly unpredictable. I somehow doubt he holds grudges but I could just be misreading him?

Not sure about that ... he comes in with his /edited/ third comment at post #92 and immediately picks on me accusing me of having "provided nothing constructive" in the thread when I had made some good points and had a good few people agreeing with me. I'm sure he's a nice guy and an excellent moderator but this just makes him look petty and bigoted.
    My own opinion: the OP was naive. Ste05 was high strung, but should have pursued a warning, or a shorter ban. That debate feels over to me. The thread is de-railing into poo-flinging now.

Agreed. This thread is soooooo over ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DeVore wrote: »
    Snyper finally wore my considerable patience out and has been banned from Feedback for a while.

DeV.

damn!##and i was just going to post one of my patented 'do shut up' posts :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not sure about that ... he comes in with his first comment at post #92

That was actually his third.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55217700#post55217700

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55228777#post55228777

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I guess to some, it gets hard to justify putting the effort in with complete freshies: if they're misbehaving from day one, will they continue misbehaving? Whereas if someone has been here a couple weeks, made a few dozen posts without hitting anyone's radar, it at least shows they have the potential for behavior. Or if the material in their posts is constructive.
    Overheal, I see where you're coming from, given that a number of sign-ups each week are just to troll / cause trouble. BUT there are a lot of genuine n00bs as well (as were we all at some point), and the odds are a couple of them will always stick their foot in it up to the knee in their first few posts. If the immediate reaction to every such instance is "Cut off his head!!" how does this reflect on boards.ie and this community? (Please note, the preceding comments are general, rather than particular to the case which started this thread)
    Case and point is the Leaving Cert forum. When the poster's name is "i-Cheat" and they have one post, and that post is a scan of the Mock exams, its not worth the effort to slap them on the wrist. In that situation I'd sooner delete the account.
    Agreed. Falls under the "given that a number of sign-ups each week are just to troll / cause trouble" clause in my first sentence ... no ambiguity or room for leniency there.

Back to the specific topic, in my humble opinion there is a bit of right and a bit of wrong on both sides, but people are getting so entrenched in their positions at this stage that they are not open to seeing that.

Time for the ref to step in, I think.

• Advertisement

We're dealing with Poker - they're going to stare eachother down until someone gives a tell :rolleyes:

I'd vote for a probabtionary unban from the forum myself. The OP can also wander around the rest of Boards to see how the general ettiquite is even if the ban is not lifted - hell I didnt leave the legal discussion area for the first 3 weeks until someone mentioned 'After Hours' :)

BUT there are a lot of genuine n00bs as well (as were we all at some point), and the odds are a couple of them will always stick their foot in it up to the knee in their first few posts. If the immediate reaction to every such instance is "Cut off his head!!" how does this reflect on boards.ie and this community?

+1

Exactly the point I have been making.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

We're dealing with Poker - they're going to stare eachother down until someone gives a tell :rolleyes:

I'd vote for a probabtionary unban from the forum myself. The OP can also wander around the rest of Boards to see how the general ettiquite is even if the ban is not lifted - hell I didnt leave the legal discussion area for the first 3 weeks until someone mentioned 'After Hours' :)

hmmm probation. infraction? or is that too harsh. cant make up my mind on whether an infraction would have been better or some other slap on the wrist...

+1

Exactly the point I have been making.

using 15 odd posts as opposed to 3 lines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

5starpool wrote: »
    Better still, go into a pub you have rarely been in, and never noticed in, and call the barman a twat, see if you get a pint.

The point is that if you are new to something or somewhere you don't make a pointless, off topic post or action at the start. If you do, you are likely to be treated with little respect as you have not shown any yet.

this was terrible advice, you owe me a new pair of glasses.

OP, come back and be civil and the odd joke is always welcome just make sure they are funny, i think if it was a funny joke you`d have been ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Terry, I believe you have contributed nothing positive to this debate ... either in this or other threads.

I also believe you have a personal grudge against me because of our past encounters on boards.ie, and I am thus going to totally ignore you from this point in time as I believe you will attempt to snipe and point score against me without contributing positively to the debate in any way.

Good evening to you sir.
    We have had past encounters?
    Was there a point in asking that question seeing as how you have chose to ignore me?
    I make judgement calls having read all of a particular thread.

Sometimes another mod gets in there before me and calls it differently.

There was one the other day where I saw a few posts by a user and was going to ban them.
    Before doing that, I read the rest of the thread (four pages @30PPP) and another mod had dealt with it on the fourth page.

They didn't ban the person, but ggave a warning.
    I'm not one to step on the toes of my fellow mods.

This may be why I seem unpredictable.

That or I'm drunk.

Dont Ever Change.

Advertisement