Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Keyboard - which one

Options
  • 24-02-2008 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Old keyboard gave up the ghost recently so I need a new one , am looking at the eclipse II but am leaning towards the microsoft reclusa .

Anyone have any suggestions , has to be in that price range or lower , and a gaming keyboard obviously .

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The Das keyboard, Jonners, the Das keyboard.

( I know next to nothing about keyboards. But I have a broken Das I can sell you? Indestructible my foot.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Silverfish wrote: »
    The Das keyboard, Jonners, the Das keyboard.

( I know next to nothing about keyboards. But I have a broken Das I can sell you? Indestructible my foot.)

Thanks for that suggestion ... I have been to your house , I have attempted to use your Das Keyboard ( and some cheek they have calling it a keyboard ) I would sooner have my nuts gnawed off by a army of African nut gnawing ants than try to use it on a regular basis , as you didn't have this option I can see why you use it . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I have the Eclipse II and the thing I like about it is the adjustable backlight dim. I find myself constantly changing it to suite ambient light. The USB cable lenght hasn't caused me any problems. The only thing is the size of the keyboard. I've a desk with a slide-out tray for the keyboard and mouse - the EclipseII don't leave much room for the mouse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I too have an EclipseII and I must say it is the best keyboard I have ever owned.

Buying keyboards is often a minefield like mouses (mice?), I find. I generally look for the comfort factor in these peripheral's. But at the time, I got the eclipseII because the blue glow matched my antec 900 case :rolleyes:

But the keys feel smaller then your bog standard keyboard, which is a major plus as I find myself able to type faster and also great for gaming. The keys also have a nice texture and dont require as much pressure as other keyboards. So I recommend it

Another keyboard worth looking at would be the G15 (Mark II, Not sure the Mark I is still around). Looks very nice and I have heard good things about. I didnt get it for the simple reason that It looked too big for my desktop. A mate of mine swears by it

The microsoft reclusa, I havent heard anything so I cant really comment.
    It would be wise to measure up your desk and see how much room your prespective keyboard will take up before purchasing

Asbad wrote: »
    It would be wise to measure up your desk and see how much room your prespective keyboard will take up before purchasing

you better have a damn good reason for not posting that before I bought the reclusa today .................... come on ... I am waiting for it .. god damn big keyboards and damn that small home made desk of mine !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

jonski wrote: »
    you better have a damn good reason for not posting that before I bought the reclusa today .................... come on ... I am waiting for it .. god damn big keyboards and damn that small home made desk of mine !

am... er... Time paradox!, thats what happened, I swear!

(Please report back on the keyboard when you get it, Id like to hear how good it is:))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

you could also try one of these. http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/
    only 371 Euro:eek:

am... er... Time paradox!, thats what happened, I swear!

(Please report back on the keyboard when you get it, Id like to hear how good it is:))

for the hour that I got to use it I liked it , then I updated windows and now the pc won't boot . Doing a format and reinstall now so it wil be tomorrow before I get to try it again ..... never even got to play a game with it . all hail the daughters laptop !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Another keyboard worth looking at would be the G15 (Mark II, Not sure the Mark I is still around). Looks very nice and I have heard good things about. I didnt get it for the simple reason that It looked too big for my desktop. A mate of mine swears by it
    I've had a G15 for the past 2 years and its great , it feels nice , looks good (if a bit big) and the screen is surprisingly useful (other than gaming etc stats it'll do things like display song details on last.fm etc or media centre).The Macro recording ability is suprisingly hand too.
    Only problem I've ever had with it is that the backlight flickers occasionally (on the keyboard , not the lcd).
    I dont like the look if the mark II (orange led , less buttons , no ability to flip down the lcd)
    The mark I is still easy enough to get in Ireland (Harvey Norman , Argos etc sell it albeit at a higher than usual price).

Sorry , forgot about the report back when you get it thingy , but still a few weeks later gave me more time to test it :)

Foot print is on the large size but only in comparison to my old saitek one , it is big for my desk but then I have a small desk . The keys and feel nice and solid and the response from the is good . The software for setting up macro's doesn't seem very intuitive but I haven't really tried it as I don't use them . For people that do I am fairly confident that the positioning of the keys is quiet good . The back lighting , one of the reasons why I chose this keyboard , is perfect , you cannot adjust it but it seems to be just right , the keys light up just the right amount for me to be able to see them with the main lights out behind me .

I am more than happy with it the only thing I can't comment on , which would be important to me , is longevity and with that ...only time will tell .

• Advertisement
Advertisement