Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new gun

• 24-02-2008 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭

Am looking to upgrade my game gun to something that would be suitable for shooting clays in summer and a bit of game and verminin the winter any idea's anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Depends on how much you have to spend, weather you want a O/U or semi auto or even AYA(side by side)
    The rest is up to you to pick a gun that fits and feels right for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clintfan

hi lads I am new to shooting and was wondering about the best ways to shoot crows magpies and other vermin. Are decoys any good. Loads of crows pass over my fields in the evening time but most are too high to get a shot at. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Beretta o/u

You can buy decoys for crows. The most important thing for crows is cammo, they are one of the smartest bird so cover up! You can put the decoys out and sit in a hide or better again, put a rabbit or kids toy (that looks like a rabbit) out with the decoys around it and use a crow caller or for a change set up the rabbit and decoys then set up a cat or fox (decoy or stuffed) near by and the crows will mob it to proctect their feeding buddies (suckers!!!!).

It sounds like the crows you are talking about are roosting. They head off in the evening at stratospheric heights to their roost. They wont stop for decoys but great craic is to find out where they are going and wait. Shoot them as they come in to roost. Check out www.crowbusters.com for some guys with an unhealthy appetite for crows!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 john mcvey

i use a rotary, with about 8 to 12 decoys around them sprinkled with the odd pigeon decoy, plus larry the stuffed lamb on occasion,
    u caller also to attract from a distance,
    works a treat, best day 45 crows in a non arable area,
    start early morningas as they come out to feed, and never shoot the same place more than two days in a row, they are not stupid and will avoid an area for months iff it is overshot,leave it a week then go back.
    and camo as said needs to be very good.
    is what keeps me in practice during those out of game season days.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Depends on how much you have to spend, weather you want a O/U or semi auto or even AYA(side by side)
    The rest is up to you to pick a gun that fits and feels right for you
    was thinking of spending around a grand plus trade in the old gun(worth about 300) will probably stick with u/o but could be persuaded with a semi auto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

MRJ wrote: »
    was thinking of spending around a grand plus trade in the old gun(worth about 300) will probably stick with u/o but could be persuaded with a semi auto.

For that money you could have change from a New Lanber sporter or some dealers might do a deal for a Miroku MK38.

For a little extra you could get a Browning 525 game gun or one of the entry level Beretta O/U.

Would look for a gun you like the fit of then keep an eye out for that model in your price range.

You would have better off selling your gun if you can then going to the dealers with all cash, you will get a much better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭fiestaman

go with lanber. good gun. if you have €2000 go with beretta.
    dead rabbit with 2-3 decoys for magpie.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

More important than the price or the make is that the gun fits - especially if you want to shoot clays. See a coach or go to a good gun dealer who can measure you up.
    For that money you should be able to pick up a second hand sporter with an adjustable comb. That'll do for both game a clays. Mind you I'de be very reluctant to bring my trap gun out game shooting. I use it to beat my way throgh thick briars etc and the stock is in tatters. Wouldn't fancy trying that with my €3,000 Beretta!

Advertisement