Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waking into panic attack

• 24-02-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi

Last night, I woke up at about 4am - so probably from REM sleep, but the problem is that, as best as I could describe, I wasn't ALL awake. What I mean is that I felt like I had no control at all over my body, although my eyes were open, I could breath, speak, go to bathroom etc, but I had to really really try hard to do everything and if I stopped trying, I started going into a panic attack state and burning up. It lasted for 45 minutes - I even went downstairs, rolled a cigarette and smoked it but the whole time had this detatched feeling of having to force control over what I was doing and feeling that somewhere down the line, I was completely asleep.

My wife says I was completely awake as she helped me through the panic attack stages, but it still felt like I was "remote controlling" myself - This is the 3rd time this has happed in 2 years, and it isn't sleep apnia as I don't get paralised

Anyone shed any light....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Popsicle

Hi Aquanaut,

I would say, it is as you say a panic attack or a form of panic attack. My first proper panic attack was of this variety. I was just about to nod off. You know that stage where are you semi-conscious?.... and all of a sudden I woke in a panic. Didn't know why, but I was terrified of doing something really crazy. It was horrible and I had the shakes for about 45 minutes and it took me a long time to feel ok. (Actually, it was the next day) Through-out the 45 minutes I had to get my partner to just keep telling me that everything would be ok. Despite the fact that I didn't know what I was afraid of!

I have also in the past woken in to a state of "dis-association" and disorientation. Its like you know who you are but the surroundings etc are suddenly unfamiliar and you feel groggy. I still haven't been able to describe that occassion successfully!

I have been reading a little about panic etc to help myself and while dis-association doesn't happen to all who have panic attacks, it does happen. In my own case, I feel like I am "dis-associating first" and this send me in to a panic attack, unfortunately. If you google nocturnal panic attacks you might find out more.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

yeah - this sounds fairly much the way it was - but very difficult to describe ! - cheers

Advertisement