Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick NCT question RE. Lights

Options
  • 24-02-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,853 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question. Is it a fail in the NCT if your dipped lights and different to the main beams (my dips are normal bulbs, the main lights are xenon)

I have looked through the NCT manual and it says you fail if your lights are not white or yellow, but doesn't say you fail if they are different.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That is not checked. They must work and the alignment of the dips is tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,853 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

cheers kbannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Should be no problem. I have HID lights (fitted myself) in the dipped beam and fog lights. Passed the NCT with any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Slightly OT, but wouldn't you have been better off with dipped HID and main beam halogen rather than the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Those HID kits that convert regular halogen lights to xenons have been outlawed in several countries. Problem is that factory fitted xenons have different reflectors to the halogen lights.

HID conversion kits can dazzle oncoming drivers. I've noticed this in some modified cars that have the conversion kits fitted.

You may pass the NCT with your dips converted at the moment, but you could have problems in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

ksimpson wrote: »
    Those HID kits that convert regular halogen lights to xenons have been outlawed in several countries. Problem is that factory fitted xenons have different reflectors to the halogen lights.

HID conversion kits can dazzle oncoming drivers. I've noticed this in some modified cars that have the conversion kits fitted.

You may pass the NCT with your dips converted at the moment, but you could have problems in the future.

I have an E34 5 series, which has projector lights in the dips and fogs. This gives a very sharp cut-off line for the projected light. It stops the light dazzling other drivers. ;)

Advertisement