Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rowing

• 24-02-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hi im bebie and i'v been rowin for about 4 years 5 this summer i live for it is there any1 else on boards who is in to it??:eek:
    i row everythig and im bi-sweeptiual!!;)
    i cant believe board dont hv a whole different catagory for rowin its almost a religion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Used to row for many years but had to stop due to injury. Still miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hi im 17 nd i row with Killorglin Rowing Club, Im rowing da last 3.5 yrs Im sculling @ da moment!! :D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 polevault

hi, i rowed for few years. won national pot last july. there is a good race on in dublin an sat if anyone wants to come along and watch. be at o'connel bridge at about 2:30pm. Dont know what the weather is going to be like but bring a jackey. Its the annual race between UCD and Trinnity college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Im thinking about joining a rowing team im 17 but I dont know of any in my area does anyone know where the closest club to artane is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

try going down islandbridge, a good club to try neptune!! good team and great coaches!

i used to row for carlow, but was left out due to a back injury, in my last year i won at carlow in to 8's and at the sprints in cork, im 19 atm, anyone want to lend me a scull for the evening, or go out sculling(single or double, havent the balls to go back into carlow club and ask! even if your up in dublin! we really should have our own forum, rowing is a religion, its not anything like sailing! boating....maybe....a rowing sub forum maybe at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

i went down to carlow boat club, while at a meal at a new steak house, opposite the club.

really a bunch of good guys, as nearly every rower is. just really pushed the barrow water back into my veins.

really, any one really genorous, want to give me a lend of a boat, for a few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rower 4 life

why r u afraid to go back to ur club??

what my mate did was give the coach a txt and ask if e cud help out wit coachin and stuff like and row no competitivly,

but since u were a member they no you well just ask if u can do down 4 a while they know what ur like and no u no what ur doin

i dont hv a boat if i did i wud help u out sold off my skull gettin a new one for the summer!!

left with a bit of bad blood with the son of the one of the best and highest donating members( he owns the local car dealership), was a half my immaturity and partly his cockiness( again being the son of the highest donater and best rower).
    talked to one of the world champion vets, and says he is going to try and go out in the pair he owns, only as a reserve tho......going to try and get the number of one of the other coaches, and see if they needed help working with the beginners.
    still got barrow water in my veins! like i used to say you either row 4 life or go home!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rower 4 life

i hv heard carlow is a tad bitchy them and stressed out commericals.....ouch!!

nice motto!! i love it god i love it sooo much!! went out in a double wkd and pair sunday.......

just wonderin what do ye think of the champs being split up????

• Advertisement

i think its stupid! having it over two weekends! they dont think of clubs coming from ni, or even carlow, they dont care, they prob get put up in a hotel for the week!
    i always thought club bonding sessions were always great that weekend 3 nights, of frollics etc, i think that was better then any of those corporate team building weekend things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 -ger-

Hi Bajingo. It's always good to hear of someone looking to take up rowing. It's a grand aul sport, as many on this thread would testify. As for the closest club to Artane, i don't know much about the river rowing (it's all up around islandbridge, isn't it?), but when it comes to coastal rowing (similar but different), i can give you some advice.

I row with St. Michael's Rowing Club in Dun Laoghaire, a small, friendly club who are always happy to hear from potential new members. If you want to find out more, check out the website at http://www.dunlaoghairerowing.com/ , where you'll find contact details etc.

There are no coastal rowing clubs on the northside at present, but it would be remiss of me if i didn't let you know that there are 2 clubs closer to you in Ringsend; St. Patrick's and Stella Maris, which might be more convenient for you. Having said that, Dun Laoghaire's a handy spin out on the DART from Artane!

ah, st micks dub...lovely club! had a crush on a girl, who will remain nameless, from st micks dub...(or was it st. micks? was deffo a costal rowing club up that way!) costal rowing is much harder to learn in my book, but is always fun!

try islandbridge if your a newbie, just off the phoneix park. bit of a trip i know, but their all lovely up there and they have the training equipment so your not going out on the river scared sh..less.

neptune is great, btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Hey,

Same as a couple of the guys here. Have been thinking about getting into it for awhile. Am 19. Have no background in it at all. Just not sure if it would suit me or not as I play a bit of rugby aswel and that would be coming first. I presume its the sort of sport where you have to throw yourself full in and not have a bigger comitment for another sport? Also living around wicklow area, any river rowing clubs in around the area?

well you dont need to be fully committed to rowing esspecially if your not into compition rowing, but if you can train as a sculler you can work by your own schedule, all you need really is spotter, just so you dont drown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

can help i suppose.

any ideas where to start to look for a bit of info on it?

best place to start, is possibly the iaru( irish amateur rowing union.) the site is simply iaru.ie if you want to talk to them in person their contacts are:
    Irish Amateur Rowing Union Ltd.
    Sport HQ,
    Block 13,
    Joyce Way,
    Parkwest Business Park,
    Nangor Road,
    Dublin 12
    IRELAND
    Tel: +353 1625 1130
    Fax: +3531 625 1131

or the NRC, ireland
    National Rowing Centre,
    Farran Wood,
    Inniscarra,Co Cork
    tel:+353 217434044

actually on another note, is the coastal rowing covered under the iaru adenda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Coastal rowing have their own union, ICRF, who run their sport. I know some clubs are affiliated to both but I don't think the unions are in any way connected.

i thought that, just wasnt sure, it was great fun rowing against a coastal club. they do sometimes put out a stronger and better rowers, only good compitition if they had a river boat though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 -ger-

Jonny,
    As Aynon and SomeFool correctly point out, coastal rowing comes under its own umbrella grouping, the ICRF, which you will find at http://www.coastalrowing.net/ . You're well placed there in Wicklow, as there are 4 clubs in the county at Bray, Greystones, Wicklow and Arklow. There are email addresses for the last 2 on the 'clubs' page of that link I gave above.

And for anyone reading this who lives or works in the Dun Laoghaire area, a shameless plug for our own club - http://www.dunlaoghairerowing.com/ - we're always happy to hear from curious newbies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

-ger- wrote: »
    Hi Bajingo. It's always good to hear of someone looking to take up rowing. It's a grand aul sport, as many on this thread would testify. As for the closest club to Artane, i don't know much about the river rowing (it's all up around islandbridge, isn't it?), but when it comes to coastal rowing (similar but different), i can give you some advice.

I row with St. Michael's Rowing Club in Dun Laoghaire, a small, friendly club who are always happy to hear from potential new members. If you want to find out more, check out the website at http://www.dunlaoghairerowing.com/ , where you'll find contact details etc.

There are no coastal rowing clubs on the northside at present, but it would be remiss of me if i didn't let you know that there are 2 clubs closer to you in Ringsend; St. Patrick's and Stella Maris, which might be more convenient for you. Having said that, Dun Laoghaire's a handy spin out on the DART from Artane!

Cheers for that i might check it out DunLaoghaire would probably
    be handier for im right on the dart line me and my mate were thinking about joining...plus ill be going to UCD or Trinity and they re big rowing colleges you know thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

hey. Just finishing my first season with waterford, and my spontaneous coach has entered me as a sculler for the novice champs. anyone else entered in it?

i wish i was allowed scull at the championships!

hahaha its my first scull race. Was supposed to race scull in Lee regatta on sunday instead of a friend but it got called off because of the weather. so ive only got 3 weeks of training and I have to learn a decent start in that length of time too. Ive only been sculling 3 times in my life, and the rest has been a double.

Any idea what the competition is going to be like for it? or why theres no Mens novice 2x for the champs?

well there isnt a 2x comp, usually based on what is the world champs, and what the demand compared to other races during the year.

tried your start from your 2x, usually not much difference, what are you doing in the 2x? half three quartars? or 1 quarter?

using 3/4, half, 3/4, 5 full and build pressure on them, after 5 lengthen out the strokes while holding pressure...

we were told it was only a new category this year anyway though, so im not THAT surprised tbh

thats what i did,when i raced sculled, it seems the best, tried 3/4 start half half 3/4 3/4, 5+5 but wasnt as strong.

what club you with mrdrift?

sorry, waterford, i see, you guys only have seemed to pick up in the last couple of years. what kind of crews do you put out, have been to a reg. in ages!

• Advertisement

yeah I know. its only my first year anyway. two of our guys made the nationals. one made homes, and the other made the coupe.who you with?

Advertisement